• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is dry lube required for gas shotguns?

JCinPA

.270 WIN
This isn’t one of those “What’s the best lube?” questions, I got beyond that years ago. I decided I didn’t want to soak up dangerous or questionable chemicals through my skin, and I went to Ballistol for 100% of my firearms, and I’ve been a happy camper ever since. It may not be the best, but it’s good enough for me, and life is much simpler.

My question is I’m new to gas shotguns and I see most cleaning videos but “the pros” call for using wet lube on bolts and other moving parts, but dry lube for the gas parts. Is that really necessary? If it is, I’ll get some, but Ballistol does not seem to leave a very wet film, generally. And the pros frequently sponsor the dry lube companies— Shooter’s Choice, Otis, or what have you, so I take their recommendation with a grain of salt, although their expertise is unquestioned. I wonder if they recommend the product because it’s needed or because the manufacturer sponsored their video.

I’m happy as a clam with just Ballistol, not looking for any replacement, but would I be well advised to add a dry lube spray to my kit for the 930 gas parts, or am I OK without it? Thanks, I appreciate it, and I pray this won’t start a “mine’s bigger than yours” lube discussion. Not my intent.

Answered my own question after some serious googling. Don’t use lube or dry lube sprays on the piston. Clean, oil, THEN WIPE DRY. I think I’m fine sticking to my Ballistol following this procedure. I’ll prolly order the coated piston because the SBE are unavailable, and I’ll use the coated ring if he ever makes some more of them.

Thanks, familiar with it, but Ballistol is also light. I went to it to standardize on one product and have been very happy with it. It should work just fine in the 930. I was worried I’d have to add a product after simplifying my shooting life, but apparently not!

Yeah, that’s what happens with my Ballistol. And it dries pretty much. I’m sticking with it, and I like it not being toxic in any way.

I do the same with RemOil or Ballistol too. Clean the piston & action bar/mag tube, apply light oil, wipe "dry" with lightly oily rag. Never had any issues doing it like that. I have to admit that I'm a fan of the RemOil and Rem Action Cleaner. Good stuff. But I do use Ballistol interchangeably with RemOil...no noticeable difference.

Back