• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is there anyone hunting out there?

OK, now I'm wondering what deer taste like when they eat turnips? I'd give 'em carrots myownself.

But I neither farm nor raise animals. I just like to eat.

;)

OK, now I'm wondering what deer taste like when they eat turnips? I'd give 'em carrots myownself.

But I neither farm nor raise animals. I just like to eat.

;)
Not sure about turnips but the deer I kill near my house definitely taste less gamey than the deer I shoot in upper Michigan. The biggest difference is the local deer eat a lot of corn, beans and sugar beets whereas the deer up north have to sustain on naturally occuring food.

I've been wanting to can some venispon for some time. In fact that was one of the reawsons I picjed up the pressure canner a while back. I finally tried it with some of the meet from the last doe.

I kept it simple, just packed some pint jars with venison, cut into stew meet sized pieces, 1/2 tsp of canning salt and some Butt Rub BBQ seasoning (something we really like on most meats).

It looked pretty good.

2017-01-06%2007.34.13_zpshhskb6z9.jpg

2017-01-06%2007.33.46_zpseeyvvl8s.jpg

I opened one up today to give it a taste test.

I know this was my first batch and there is a lot of room for improvement but I have to admit I was initially a little disappointed.

It's not bad, It just tasted like slightly bland stew meat and I would not have known it was venison just by taste alone This may be good as I can more easily work it into other dishes and season it there. The rest of the household is not as keen on venison as I am .

I really could not pick out any of the seasoning I added. I could have added a lot more. I wish I had added varying amounts to the jars for comparison.

I think I play around a bit with beef and some recommended recipes between now and next years deer season to help fine tune the amount of seasoning I need to add.

Overall I am happy with the process and would like to try with some burger as well. I've got my feet wet so now I can fine tune it.

I make a lot of roasts and stews with my deer and make in a pressure cooker if I'm in a hurry, or crock pot overnight or throughout the day until supper time.

Add whatever vegetables you like. Potatoes, little carrot, cabbage, corn, beans. Some garlic salt once you get it on the plate. Add some crackers.

Mmmm.

Oh, and a lot of jerky. I swear I don't know where the kids put all of it. I can go through 10 pounds of jerky in 2 days LOL

Back