• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Issue with 930 SPX Stock

So I am aware of my limitations and I know I am not a gunsmith. I also know that even the simplest of jobs can turn into a mini nightmare if not careful. So when it came time to do something as simple as removing the pad on the back of my pistol grip stock, that says Choate Tool (which surprised me as I bought it new in Oct and I guess it came from the factory with an aftermarket stock) I dotted i's and crossed t's.

I watched not one but every video available on removing the stock. I also consulted the owners manual which shows specifically how to remove the stock.

So imagine to my surprise when I undid the two screws and the butt pad came flying off 3 foot in the air because there was a spring behind it that absolutely none of the videos showed and not even the manual shows.

Very frustrating when the guns own manual doesn't show this big Spring, do I have some kind of a weird version?

So I am wondering now if I am missing a piece, as I can't figure how to put it back together. I've researched every schematic and diagram available and it doesn't show, I'm guessing because it's an aftermarket stock.

What's confusing is on the end of the spring there was a plastic piece. Round on the bottom which goes into the spring. But the other end is slotted like a U, as if it were to go on and attached to something. But there is nothing for it to attached to, the bottom of the pad is smooth. Also, a little tiny black pin came out, similar to like a pin that holds in a trigger assembly on a small handgun. Perfectly round small and black.

There is absolutely no place that I can see that this pin goes. Making me think that I missing some parts.

I am attaching pictures I hope this helps. Any information of course would be very helpful :)

image.jpeg

There should be a cross drilled in the end of the tube that contains the recoil spring.
The plastic piece goes in the end of the spring. The whole thing gets pushed into the tube, and the retains the inside the tube. The slot in the plastic part lines up with the cross drilled hole, then stick the pin in.
I can't tell from your photo, but the pin should have a slightly smaller diameter step in both ends to lock it into the recoil tube. Maybe they have sheared off. The pin length should measure the same as the diameter of the recoil tube.

But what I don't understand is was this normal? Did something come off when I shot my first 50 rounds through it? If what you're saying is true, then I should have been able to remove the pad without this happening, correct? Was the gun not assembled correctly is my point.

If there was something beyond the nut that holds it all together then that should've been permanently enclosed and not come out when I took the pad off right?

The pin does not have smaller ends but is perfectly round and doesn't look like it sneered off as it so perfectly round and smooth. But again, I don't have a picture of what is supposed to look like. I guess I am confused and I'm still not following you about this cross. The tube is just completely hollow in the spring goes in it I'm not sure what this cross is supposed to be? Are you saying there's just a hole drilled through the tube is that what u mean by a cross? If so, I do not see that hole drilled that I did notice in some of the schematics and parts diagrams. No hole is drilled at all. However, I haven't taken the bolt off to look further down and I will do that now.

If what you're saying is correct, then I would be really upset that a brand-new shotgun would sheer off a pin with 50 rounds through it!!!

Well sir, you are absolutely correct I do see the hole drilled through the tube and the pin is shorter amd will not reach from hole to hole which means it did sheer. Absolutely unbelievable. Should I take this up with Mossberg or Choate?

Once you get the nut off and remove the stock, you should be able to see what I'm describing
If the pin doesn't have a step on each end, and it isn't sheared, the pin itself could have been machined wrong. The stepped portions of the pin are what stops it from just coming out of the tube.

Well sir, you are absolutely correct I do see the hole drilled through the tube and the pin is shorter amd will not reach from hole to hole which means it did sheer. Absolutely unbelievable. Should I take this up with Mossberg or Choate?

Probably just order a new pin from Mossberg.
I know. Brand new gun, and now you have to wait for parts. Sucks.

It's beyond that with me, because I can only assume that if one pin sheered, they're all cut out of the same mold, so what's to stop another pin from breaking? It's just amazing to me that somebody can spend $800 on a shotgun and have it break 50 rounds later. I would have assumed that Mossberg have addressed all of these issues by now which is why I waited so long.

I just don't understand what's happening to this world. I have a model 500 that you could run a tank over and not have anything go wrong with it. But this newer stuff is really suspect..

Any idea if there is an aftermarket pin that is more heavy duty? Doesn't make sense for me to put the same one in. I will say, I didn't take it apart because the gun malfunctioned, it shot perfect with the pin being broke.

Chances are, whomever installed the Choate stock lost the original pin, and just used whatever was handy to hold the spring in long enough to get the stock installed.
I doubt there is any aftermarket equivalent part for that pin.
If you know anyone with a lathe, maybe you could have them make a new pin.

Just hung up with Mossberg and they are mailing me one free. Let's hope it works. I think I agree with you, I don't think it broke as much as wasnt installed correctly to begin with. Of course, I don't know which one of those is the scariest thought...

Just hung up with Mossberg and they are mailing me one free. Let's hope it works. I think I agree with you, I don't think it broke as much as wasnt installed correctly to begin with. Of course, I don't know which one of those is the scariest thought...

Stuff happens, it's how they handle it after the fact that counts, and it seems like they are making it right. Glad you got it worked out.

The aluminum ring in front of the large nut is also positioned to keep the pin from moving, even if the pin weren't notched on each end to retain it. The pin's notches work well to keep it positioned for assembly, but the aluminum bushing is what will ultimately ensure it stays there. It does indeed sound like someone lost the pin and found something close (but, not close enough) to put it back together with.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Received the part via us mail, all done. But hard to say as just bought it and don't know and or really remember what is "normal". But it sure feels to me like it's really weak when I charge it and cycle it. Have to shoot it to make sure of course. But doesn't feel "right". Though it functions OK, to say nothing is binding, just doesn't feel like much resistance when I pull back to load a round (empty gun)

When I pull the trigger on an empty gun it doesn't feel like anything is happening. Don't hear a snap or anything like I am used too on say an AR15. Sounds more like a dull, quiet thud.

Hoping this is all my imagination and simply unfamiliarity with my weapon.

Back