• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

It was only $13, but . . .

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
My wife and I were married by the Deputy Wedding Commissioner of Fresno County. (Now there's a plum job.)

Anyhow one of the fees that they charge is for a $5 counseling session. This reminds me of the old Peanuts comic where you could get psychiatric help for 5 cents. The counseling was about as important in our case as well, but I guess you get what you pay for.

The other fee that they charge you besides the wedding license is the "Spousal abuse abatement fee" of $13.

They bring this up right in front of my wife as I'm writing out a check for the fees.

Essentially this is like saying to us, "Eventually, we know you're going to hit her so we're going to get our money right up front!"

So now I'm wondering: is this just a local Fresno County thing? . . . or is this law common across the country? I mean I know that there are other places in this country that have Stout populations of wife beaters besides Fresno.

I didn't have any of that foolishness.

I didn't have any of that foolishness.
Me either.

Back in '89 we had to get a blood test yet but that was it beside the marriage license. I have never heard of either the counseling or abuse fee until today.

I married my current wife in '89 as well. I married my first wife in '79, and we did have a blood test and we paid $20 to a judge in San Luis Obispo. Nothing more.

Then we honeymooned in a tent in Yosemite, & got rained out. In spite of my careful trenching our tent was a disaster.

This should have been an omen of the marriage to follow, which was 10 years of confusion and struggle.

Got married in Vegas, 9 years ago.
Don't remember anything of the sort.

Nope, not here. Just the license fee. No blood test required anymore.

I got married in '68 in Ohio. Blood test was all that was required. Twice more in Nebraska, once in '82, blood test required, again in 97, no blood test required.

I didn't have to do a blood test. Mostly just paid for the marriage license.

There was a stupid question that you had to checkmark that you certify that the person isn't closer than a third cousin or something of the sorts LOL

Just kidding, I just had to pay the license fee.

We had to state our races on the marriage license application.

I am your basic 100% glow-the-dark german-irish white guy with barely a freckle, and my lovely wife Judy is a bit Norman English and over three-quarters Native American Arizona Navajo & a bit of Sonoran.

The census treats Judy as white, immigration says Hispanic, Social Services all say Hispanic, and our wedding license application says Mexican, while the actual license mentions nothing.

Of course she doesn't have a drop of Spanish blood and has never been close to Hispaniola so I'm not sure how any of that Hispanic nonsense is justified. Her dad was born a Texan. Half white and half Indian.

Until of course you get the freaking government involved and then it all becomes a political fiction.

Back