• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

JM Signature elevator problems

Billy T

Copper BB
I was very happy to pick up my JM Signature 930 until I got it home. Does all kinds of crazy things like throwing all the shells on the ground or under the bolt 2 at a time. I called warranty and sent it back
with a letter of the problems and got it back today. Same stuff all over again. Anybody got a name at Mossberg that will actually get the job done?

Billy T said:
I was very happy to pick up my JM Signature 930 until I got it home. Does all kinds of crazy things like throwing all the shells on the ground or under the bolt 2 at a time. I called warranty and sent it back
with a letter of the problems and got it back today. Same stuff all over again. Anybody got a name at Mossberg that will actually get the job done?

Send this fellow an email:
Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Thanks for the help. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. My computer joined the JM on the list of broken things.

Round 2 -- E-Mailed Mr. Zakher and got another return label sent the JM Model back in for the second time and got it back today. Same stuff all over again. Double feeds, shells on the floor locked open bolt and so on. Lazy Eyed Sniper is right there is more going on than just a few random problems.
Should have stuck with Remington.

Good Lord, that's ridiculous.

Your issues are likely the result of too much spring tension and a bent cartridge stop. There are simple fixes for both issues. I can understand if you're fed up and ready to get rid of it at this point, but there are a few threads that outline solutions if you're willing to give it a shot...

Shotgun arrived today. Maybe the third try will be the charm. Still don't know how it shoots but at least it is
loading and feeding properly.

Have my fingers crossed for you.

One thing to keep in mind is that both of my 930s will double feed on occasion when cycling by hand, but this does not happen during live fire at the range. Make sure to take it out and run the hell out of it at the range for a true test...

I know will probably jinx myself but other than the occasional jam when manually sliding the bolt forward or just dropping a shell into the port (skeet shooting), I have not had a problem. Well, there was the rampant exodus of Winchester target-turned-to-slugs issue...:)

Has your JM been fixed? I am having what sounds like the exact same issue. more often than not it fires a shell, ejects it and the next one does not even come out of the magazine. However sometimes 2 come out... sometimes one comes out but jams at an angle as if the elevator did not make it up before the bold bangs forward ...

This is my first Mossberg and so far a wee bit frustrated...

Howdy TexasShooter, welcome aboard! I'm a native Texan myself, just livin a bit far away from home now.

Many of the FTL/FTE issues caused by improper bolt cycling we see are due to insufficient energy being returned into the action. First thing is to make sure the bolt is riding smoothly through the receiver. If you feel any hang-up or if the action feels sluggish at all you might give it a thorough cleaning and run it with some extra lube. I'd also check the gas system to make sure the gas ports and spring are not clogged with grime or fouling.

Pardon the assumption if you already have this covered, but not knowing your standard operating proceedure we tend to start the suggestions there and work our way up...

Hi Lazy Eyed

Thanks for the Welcome! That's what I thought at first as the action did not seem that smooth, so after an initial cleaning and then a 100 shell break in, I REALLY cleaned it (disassembled all the gas mechanisms and made sure all was clean and moving freely) since it was having the FTF/FTL issues (never has had a failed to eject). Since I gave it a hard core cleaning I have tried light skeet as well as heavy factory loads as well as myriad hand loads of different powers, shot weight etc trying to figure out the problem. It seems the most consistent issue is the failure of the shell to release from the magazine, the other items (double feed or jam) happen a lot less frequently.

To this point I have put about 300 shells through it and about the only thing I see could be the issue (assign from a bent cartridge stop) is that due to the extended magazine that the lower rim of the shell as it bases the junction gets caught for a bit on the groove where they join. I probed around down in the magazine and could feel a definitive edge/groove. I may be completely off but it seems that when there are only 4 or less shells in the magazine it always works fine.

Appreciate any insight you can share....

We have seen this mag tube gap issue before as well.

One other thing to check for is to make sure the forearm retainer is properly joined with the receiver and that the forearm itself is pulled as far back into place as possible. If the forearm isn't fully seated onto the receiver this can prevent the extension nut from threading all the way down onto the tube causing the gap. Have you already ruled out the cartridge stop?

No I have not ruled out the cartridge stop ... I am not sure exactly what to look for there. As for as the forearm I made sure everything was seated and even tried using a small strap wrench to get it tight to close the gap but I can still feel it in there when probing with a little dowel. Part of me wants to take a fine round file and take the edge off the inside of the end of the magazine tube so that the edge of the shell would have a 'ramped' surface to pass by as opposed to that gap with the 90 degree edge ...

I am waiting to hear back from Mossberg (sent them 2 emails already but no response in 2 days) in regard to sending it into their Eagle Pass repair facility.

I REALLY want to love this shotgun I want to run it in some three gun but it has to function before I do that ...

Understood.

As far as the cartridge stop goes, on an empty tube try to watch its movement as you manually cycle the action. You'll want to see its edges align flush with the channel in the receiver when the bolt is closed. When the bolt is open the front edge of the stop should recess into the channel far enough to clear the follower and the tube opening. If you can't see the edge of the follower that might be the cause of the hang-ups...

Thanks Lazy Eye.

After looking at it like you said, I think the stop is the problem. After looking at it carefully it does appear that the stop is still very slightly obstructing the opening of the magazine tube when the bolt is cycled back. I found another link on how to disassemble and polish the stop which may be enough to allow the rounded rim of the shell to get by when the stop moves out of the way. I am reluctant to send to Mossberg as after several email I have not received any response at all ...

Did you e-mail Joe Zakher directly or did you go through the generic CS contact info? You can also try Ms. Norma Martinez,

martinezn@mossberg.com

When you are able to get in touch with someone, ask them to send you a replacement cartridge stop rather that sending in your shotgun. Even if you are able to adjust the current one to proper function, it won't hurt to have a spare in factory new condition...

Thanks. I have another question for you since you have been so helpful. I have a Wolff magazine spring I have not installed as I saw I need to fit it. I think I saw that it should be 10 inches past the end of the tube to make sure it is not too 'tight' when fully loaded. Does that sound right to you?

I have zero experience with the Wolff springs, but I believe 10"-16" past the end of the tube is the standard for spring length. The aftermarket Nordic Comp spring in my 930 Tactical ended up cut to 10" past, but I started at 16" and worked my way down one coil at a time, reassebling and function checking between each cut until full capacity and function was achieved. The higher tension springs may require a bit less length overall, but it is always better to start long and then work your way down one snip at a time. This will yield the optimum spring length for your configuation without having to worry about cutting too short...

Took the JP Signature to the ranch after some light grinding and HEAVY polishing on the shell stop. It is smooth as glass and shines like a mirror ... also polished the end of the magazine tube to give it a VERY smooth edge and it cycled 2 boxes of shells pretty well. NO failures of the shell coming out of the magazine for all 8 loaded, but did have 2 failures to eject. I am not as worried about the FTE, I think a good cleaning will resolve that problem.

Thanks for your input

Back