1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Joined the Club today

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Shockwave' started by kodiak3842, Jun 5, 2020.

1. kodiak3842

kodiak3842 Copper BB

Bought a Shockwave today. Went with the 20 ga not being sure what it was like to cut loose with one.

Now to accessorize. Have a side saddle shell holder on the way, need to get a light, and a laser. And lots of ammo.

When it comes to lasers, should I go Crimson Trace saddle? Tru-Glo Mini Tac? Something else? Any advice appreciated.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Mr. Firearm and meanstreak like this.
  2. Ernst

Ernst .270 WIN Supporter "Philanthropist"

My advice

Put 250 rounds through the gun, combination of birdshot, buckshot and slugs

Decide what the prime purpose of the gun is, home defense, target shooting, range only, fun, etc.

Then decide what you want to add to the weapon to enhance it's intended use.

Read multiple threads on this forum, lots of good advice and lessons learned.

Most importantly, welcome to the forum!

Good luck.

Regards
  3. nippr

nippr .22LR

On top of the great advice that Ernst gave you, I would suggest reversing the screw mount of the strap, It'll keep your fingers off the screws.

20180914_141533w.jpg
    uncle00buck and meanstreak like this.
  4. BoBo522

BoBo522 .22LR

Welcome! I agree with Ernst - shoot it a bit and get a feel for it, then decide on enhancements or modifications. You may even decide that you don't like it at all (gasp!) and want to go a different way.

If you want to dive right in with additions, I love the Crimson Trace Lasersaddle (mine came with one preinstalled). A lot of folks on this forum and others rave about the Leapers/UTG Bulldot. There are lots of other options out there with their own merits and drawbacks. As far as flashlights go, I initially went with a CDMG mount and a small Monstrum flashlight but went to the Streamlight TL Racker once it became available for the Shockwave.

Enjoy your new Shockwave!
    uncle00buck and meanstreak like this.
  5. paffemt

paffemt .22LR

I have the Crimson Trace Lasersaddle and the TL Racker installed on mine. Haven't had to use it in the dark yet, but the laser makes it very easy to sight.
    meanstreak likes this.
  6. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Welcome to the forum Kodiak.
  7. kodiak3842

kodiak3842 Copper BB

My CT laser saddle as well as a TacStar side saddle should be delivered today. Have some Talon grips coming as well.

Now to get bunches of ammo

What's everyone like as a defensive round? I am leaning heavily towards buckshot loads, if I can find any.

meanstreak likes this.
  8. BoBo522

BoBo522 .22LR

Hard to go wrong with Federal. If you're shooting 2 3/4", look at the LE Tactical Flite Control 00-Buck or the PowerShok 4-Buck shotshells. If you're a minishell aficionado, try Federal Shorty 4-Buck. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones.
    meanstreak likes this.
  9. kodiak3842

kodiak3842 Copper BB

Mods so far. TacStar side saddle, CT Laser Saddle, and Talon rubber grip tape. Starting to come together.

Might need a light and mount now. And more ammo, which is all but impossible to find right now around here.[​IMG][​IMG]

BoBo522 and meanstreak like this.
  10. paffemt

paffemt .22LR

Here's mine with the Talon, Crimson Trace and the TL Racker.

IMG_6546 (1).jpg
    kodiak3842 likes this.
  11. kodiak3842

kodiak3842 Copper BB

Does the TL Racker fit 20ga, Or only 12?

12. paffemt

paffemt .22LR

Designed for the 12ga, but there is a video on YouTube where The Late Boy Scout Modifies one to fit on a 20ga Tac14.
  13. Chameleon

Chameleon .22LR

Kodiak, congratulations on your new Shockwave!

You have a 20gauge as do I, where did you get the side saddle cartridge holder?

I have a GG&G rail on mine with an Olight 1200 Lumen light.
    I did install the UTG laser, but really like the looks of the Crimson Trace.
    I did order a new Crimson Trace Light, it never came in, it looked like a nice unit.
  14. kodiak3842

kodiak3842 Copper BB

The side saddle came from Amazon. It is a TacStar.
    I wish I had gone with the green CT laser, rather than the red. Red is ok in lower light, but I have heard the green shows better in daylight. Just what I have heard, no proof.

Got to shoot it for the first time today. Started with birdshot (#6) then went to buckshot and slugs. Didnt shoot alot since the buckshot is pretty scarce right now. Glad I got the 20 vs the 12. The 20 seems controllable, where I wonder about the 12. Never shot one though.

Lots of fun though!

meanstreak and BoBo522 like this.
  15. nippr

nippr .22LR

This is the side saddle that I have on both of my Mossbergs;

https://www.browncoattactical.com/category-s/1632.htm

Very happy with them

EDITED TO ADD CORRECT LINK
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    meanstreak likes this.
  16. uncle00buck

uncle00buck .22LR

Welcome
    I have the Bulldot and am pleased with it. I did have to blue loktite the rail mount nut ... came loose on my first shoot. Didn’t realize it til I got home. Re-sited it and is great. I bought a $16 bore sight laser. Very easy process.
    meanstreak likes this.