• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Joining a club

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
There is a gun club not too far from me, about 15 min. I dont have a rifle yet, but they do have 100 and 200 yard ranges, also there is a ton of shotgun shooting stuff.

My goal is to get Allison around more knowledgable folks to help keep her advancing, and will hopefully get into some competition stuff myself! :D

They do lots of trap and skeet, may need that 930 sooner than later! ;)

Make sure you check the rules carefully. Look for things like minimum barrel length on shotguns. Bench firing rifles only. No rapid fire. No drawing pistols, etc.

I love the club I belong to. But I HATE that I can't even fire a 22 LR rifle freehand at 50 yds. My 10/22 is just not fun bench firing from a rest even at 100 yds! "Where'd that one hit? 10 ring... Just like the last 37 shots..." I can only fire slugs and not buckshot on the (outside!) rifle range, and I can't draw, or fire my pistol faster than once every "1 to 3 seconds".

A club is more than the regs they impose, and as I said, I love my club, but make sure you can live by the rules, or consider traveling a little farther to find one that's more you...

maybe DaveinCT can offer some info too. i know he's a club member here in ct. they have lots of rules.....

I was able to talk to a friends husband who is a member at the club I'm lookin at. I mentioned restrictions on loads though didnt get too indepth. He kinda laughed and said you shoot whatever you want!

Still, I'll be calling soon and make sure I have these questions answered!

I know I've heard Dave mention a few things...

That sounds great Brad! Let us know what you end up doing...

I belong to a club here in Nebraska. It's about half an hour away so it's a little closer than going to my farm which is about an hour and 45 minutes away.

They have a lot of rules, but they're not enforced all that aggressively. Occasionally, you'll get a R.O. who's on a power trip, but not very often.

I'd recommend talking to members of the club and seeing if you can go as a guest before you sign up.

Here's the rules to the outdoor range I belong to...not too restrictive, and if I get there early enough, they allow me to go to the end of the property and do draws from concealment and cowboy holsters, fire from concealment behind 55 gallon drums, kneeling and prone shooting of handguns and carbines...but, once the locals start filling the range, I'm asked to stop or people ask "why can't I do what that guys doing..." I usually get about 40 minutes of un-restrictive shooting in.

http://www.wicenshootingrange.com/rules.cfm

I am going to be joining a club tomorrow. They run IDPA tournaments, so drawing from concealment ost an issue because they have 5 seperate scenario ranges for it. Unfortunately their longest ranges are 100 yards. So if I get into rifles and want to shot farther I still have to lok for other options.

Hope yours fits the needs for you and your daughter.

I believe it will fit our needs. I dont have a rifle yet, but when I do get one, the 100 and 200 yard ranges will do nicely. I'm only slightly more experienced with a rifle than I am a handgun, so we'll be good to go for awhile.

Been doin more readin of the site until I can talk to someone personally. They do host IDPA and "Multi-Gun" using IMA (International Multi-Gun Association) rules. They also host high power rifle competion, and registered skeet matches. Additionally, SASS and cowboy action matches are held once a month.

Heres the kicker and what I need to find out. Shot is restricted to nothing larger than 7 1/2, though the rules say something about patterning shotguns on the rifle/pistol range. So my question will be; does that mean slugs and buckshot can be fired? What the rules mention is providing your own stands when patterning a shotgun as not to destroy the club owned target stands.

Oh, and I will have to be sponsored, (which isnt an issue) and then voted in which occurs the third wednesday of every month.

Rossignol said:
Heres the kicker and what I need to find out. Shot is restricted to nothing larger than 7 1/2, though the rules say something about patterning shotguns on the rifle/pistol range. So my question will be; does that mean slugs and buckshot can be fired? What the rules mention is providing your own stands when patterning a shotgun as not to destroy the club owned target stands..

Most clubs that I have been to restrict shotgun patterning to "hunting loads". Most places consider that up to number 4 shot, high brass and 3.5 magnums are okay. And most restrict steel because of its reputation to ricochet. I understand there is some truth to that with bullets, but I haven't seen real solid evidence of it being a problem with shot size 4 and below, due to the fact it slows down so bloody fast out of the barrel, let alone if it ricochets!

I've yet to find a club that restricts slugs on the 50 and 100 yard rifle range. It may be 73 cal. but let's face it, it lacks the ballistics of 50BMG loads :lol:

I am a member at a couple of clubs here in CT.
The 7 1/2 shot rule is usually only in place when it comes to the Trap and Skeet field. More of a restriction per the actual game being shot, rather than a true club rule.
Slugs & Hunting loads are usually fine on the rifle range, or pattern field.
As a side note the clubs that I belong to are also have hunting on the property

ltb...is that the hartford gun club you are refering to?

ripjak,
Not Hartford. I have shot there and it is a fantastic club. It is just to far from home.
I am a member of Seymour Fish and game (Trap & Skeet) ONLY.
I am also a Member of one of the, best Clubs in the state (IMHO) Wolcott Landowners Protective Association WLOPA for short.
Trap, Skeet, Pistol (interactive with swinging targets and such) and Rifle, only 100 yard but plenty far enough for me . They are a bit of a ride for us about 40 minutes but worth it!

If you are looking for a club, they are accepting applications.

aha..thanx for the answer. i would probably go to the hartford gun club because it's closer to me. (42 mins &s seymour is an hr away..but really what's a few more minutes?) i'm in hebron. i have been to the bloomfield fish and game club. it's not a big gun range, but they have lots of land to hunt on. that's only 45mins away. it only has a 50yrd rifle area, and 5 skeet stations, with one launcher. i need to get better at that for sure. when i get my springfield m1 then i will go to a club and join up. until then i just go to my neighbors land(farm) and shoot with him. shotgun targets and "stuff".... :cool:

Ok, so been doin some lookin into the club near here...

Very laid back place with lots of competition stuff goin on. There are no barrel length restrictions for the shotgun competition and I could even use my 590A1 if I want. 00 buck and slugs are ok on the rifle/pistol range when you provide your own stands so the conversation about portable stands is going to come in handy.

Looks good and will be a great place for stuff I just cant do on the property I normally use.

Not yet. I have the application in hand and new members are voted in the second Wednesday of each month, so it won't be until the second wed. of July before I'm official!!!

Back