• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Kimber

My Christmas came early, I had zero clue my wife was getting me anything at all! Today she picked up a used Kimber Ultra Carry II and contact info on a concealed carry class!

I'll get some pics eventually.
WOW.....KILLER MAN !!!!

I'm currently working my way through our holster thread, I'm gonna hit you guys up there too for some advice maybe.

I'll get better pics yet for the 1911 thread. I need to find something to use to get the plunger/guide rod out. Any suggestions in the event one doesn't have the tool for it? I'm going to try and find an Allen key small enough.

image.jpg

I should mention its an external extractor model which dates it to around '05 to '06 maybe?

I've heard said that if problems ever arise from it that even not being the original owner to contact Kimber and they're likely to replace it without charge. No idea if its true.

I should mention its an external extractor model which dates it to around '05 to '06 maybe?

I've heard said that if problems ever arise from it that even not being the original owner to contact Kimber and they're likely to replace it without charge. No idea if its true.

External Extractor... on a 1911? :eek: John Browning would turn over in his grave if he found out!

Nice little carry gun though! I've never handled small 1911's, so I have no experience with'm.

Yeah, it looks like it wasn't used for too long. I just fired a magazine through it. It threw the brass a good ways so the springs seem fine for now but for being around 10 years old it doesn't look like it has too many miles on it.

Sig 1911s also uses an external extractor.

I did the paper clip. And it got stuck briefly. Everything is ok now but I'll have to refine my technique.

If you field strip it often enough, one day you'll look at it and decide you don't need a tool.

If you have enough strength in your hands, you'll be correct. Either way, wear safety glasses. You'll be amazed how violently that guide rod launches. :eek:

Ok, another question.

The Ultra Carry is a 3" barrel with shorter grip than standard but is still a 7 round magazine. Does the officers compact 7 round magazine fit this model? I need to pick up at least 2 more magazines and Wilson Combat makes an officers compact that is 6 rounds and Checkmate has a compact 7 round magazine. I'm not likely going with the Checkmate just because of the cost and I still need a holster before the concealed carry class too.

Any other suggestions? I'm way out of the loop on 1911 stuff and the Kimber is a little different in that it isn't an officer and is its own category with the shorter barrel but I imagine the grip length still falls into compact/officer/whatever.

Additionally, it seems pachmayr never made a wrap around grip for the shorter length grip. They don't make them at all anymore but they can still be found.

Thanks gentlemen for helping me out with my questions.

Yes, Officer mags is what you need.

IMHO, the absolute best mags are made by Tripp Research (LINK), but they ain't cheap. You will definitely want mags with a polymer follower, so it doesn't chew up the aluminum frame ramp in your pistol. The mag you want is part number 7R-45-RO.

Breakdown:
7R = 7 rounds
45 = caliber, of course
R = removable baseplate
O = Officer length

ETA: The folks that own & run Tripp Research are the same ones that founded STI.

Gotcha, thanks for that info!

And a correction, I did find the Pachmayr with an officer sized grip.

Back