• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Knoxx stock + sling mount = fail

Mossie

Copper BB
Hi,

I recently acquired a knoxx stock for my 535 and would like to install a sling mount between the receiver and stock. When the mount arrived, I was disappointed to note that the bolt that came with the stock is not long enough to reach the receiver when the sling mount is placed in between.

Has anyone replaced the bolt for a longer one? I also don't see it being removable unless I grind off some of the material from the stock. But I worry if this is advisable or not. Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks.

I dont have much (any) experience with the Knoxx stock. I have used a longer stock bolt though when I added a sling mount to my 590A1 and Hogue short LOP stock. I dont unfortunately remember the threading on it. I may be able to find it...

How did you remove the bolt? The opening in my stock allowed the allen key to pass through to tighten or loosen the bolt but it isn't big enough for the head of the bolt come out unless I take my dremel out.

Thank you.

Well, in my case, I loosened both screws on the recoil pad, removing one then rotating the recoil pad out of the way on the other. I used a 1/2" socket and extension on a ratchet. Installed the new bolt in reverse.

Are you referring to a regular stock? The Knoxx stock has a 6 position adjustable butt which also contains the recoil spring. The only way to remove/install it to the receiver is via a small hole just behind the pistol grip that angles upwards.

Ok. Here are some images that might help explain my predicament:

DSC02328.JPG

DSC02327.JPG

DSC02336.JPG

I think enlarging the hole causes more problems. I wonder if there is a way to disassemble the stock to remove/replace the bolt and put it back together again. Anyone familiar with the Knoxx or have done this? Thanks.

DSC02330.JPG

The guy to ask is RipJack13, well there are others on here too that use these stocks...

I cant really be of further help here. I apologize. For me it was as easy as removing the recoil pad and swappin in another bolt. Not so easy for you though I see.

Did you end up solving the problem? I have just ordered the same mount (what looks like the exact sling mount) and I also have the knoxx stock. I may be in for the same problem!

Knoxx is not meant to function with a sling plate. Not enough threads to do it so unless you can change the bolt for a longer one I wouldn’t do it as it will probably pull treads from the receiver. I haven’t tried to change the bolt on mine , I just went with another sling location. Knoxx or Blackhawk says don’t use these, that is why they built one into the Gen II stock. If you see anyone use them they are wrong and if they say it works it is just a matter of time before the treads in the receiver give out......535 and 500's are the same in this aspect.

Back