• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

KY: Constitutional Carry Law signed by Gov

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Governor Bevin Signs NRA-backed Constitutional Carry
MONDAY, MARCH 11, 2019
The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) today applauded Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin for signing Senate Bill 150 into law. SB 150 is NRA-backed legislation that fully recognizes the constitutional right of law-abiding gun owners to carry a concealed firearm.

“On behalf of the NRA's five million members, we would like to thank Governor Bevin for his leadership on this critical issue," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA's Institute for Legislative Action. "This law is a common sense measure that allows law-abiding citizens to exercise their fundamental right of self-protection in the manner that best suits their needs."

Kentucky already recognizes the right to carry a firearm openly without a permit. Current law, however, requires a state-issued permit to carry that same firearm under a coat or in a bag. This new law simply extends the current open carry rule to concealed carry. Those who obtain permits will still be able to take advantage of the reciprocity agreements that Kentucky has with other states.

With this law, Kentucky becomes the 16th state to recognize constitutional carry, joining Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming.

"NRA members and Kentucky’s law-abiding gun owners also appreciate the hard work and leadership of the bill sponsors, Senators Damon Thayer, Brandon Smith and Representative Savannah Maddox. Without their efforts, this bill would not have become law," concluded Cox.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190311/governor-bevin-signs-nra-backed-constitutional-carry

Now that the local news outlets aren't interviewing all of those people who declare that the sky is falling and have moved on to more recent headlines, I have spoken with several people who have said they plan to continue renewing their CCW in order to be allowed to carry in other states. And I overheard one lady speaking to another in the cereal isle at the grocery store tell another lady that she is going to be taking her concealed gun class next Saturday.

So, I guess the world didn't stop spinning and it looks like the sun did come up this morning after all.

Who would have thunk it?

Well guys, as of midnight last night, we in KY are once again allowed to carry concealed without having to have a license. I have not heard any news outlet interrupting the Jerry Springer show to announce that hell froze over last night at 12:01AM or that the sky is falling. No gnashing of teeth or wailing either.

I never agreed with having to have a license. And with having a license, do not believe that mandating that people who choose to conceal to have "training", it is mostly just to familiarize with a handful of laws of where you can and where you cannot legally carry a gun in the state.

So, the book portion of the class was mostly stupid because anyone can still take the class if they so chose, or could look up the state laws themselves. Most gun owners realize that there are far too many firearm laws as it is and do their research to ensure they are not on the wrong side of the law when carrying.

The "firing range" portion of the class was also useless. There was no training for that whatsoever.

Either you could shoot a linebacker sized torso target at 7 yards/21 feet away at least 11 out of 20 times, or you couldn't.

For those that couldn't hit 51% of the time, you failed the class and would have to take it over. There was no hands on training or assistance with the live fire portion of the exam. So, that too would have been a waste of time and money applying for the CCW if they were not proficient enough with a firearm in the first place.

I do not feel that the CCW classes are a benefit to anyone, other than the state getting money for it, from the sheriffs office which files the paperwork to the state on your behalf, and of the instructors, who also make money on the course. So, the entire 30 years that the state has required it, has been nothing more than a scheme to make money. I have always felt that way.

I am glad that Gov. Bevin, and all who voted to remove these restrictions in the state senate did so.

Of course, anyone can choose to renew their license and pay the state money, they can. And in doing so, will often have reciprocity in other states. Though I doubt that I will ever renew my CCW because I rarely ever travel out of state anyway.

I just wanted to bump the topic because so few times in laws and politics, do you ever get the government to relax their grip on any law they've ever made. So, I wanted to take a minute to cherish one of those times where it actually did happen.

Oklahoma passed the law last year. I personally don't open carry as I prefer to have a small element of surprise. Now that I think of it, I rarely run across anyone carrying open in Tulsa.

KY has always allowed open carry. They just had a phobia about people carrying and not being obvious about it :crazy:

I was speaking to a young city cop the other day who was not real happy about it. I asked him if he also had an issue with the 5th amendment. I told him to expect everyone that he sees to be exercising all of their rights because it was no less important than any other right.

I think my question took him off guard because the look on his face was a little stunned like he hadn't thought of it like that.

Anyway, 99% of the people that I have spoken to about it have been pleased with it.

Liberty is what you make of it folks.
In KY you can feel free to arm yourself against evil.
In Frisco you can feel free to commit evil against the defenseless.
In Clovis you can feel free, with the relative lack of evil, and the good PD and Fire services.
In Iran you can feel free to kiss the Ayatolah's Assholah or stop feeling anything.

Anyhow I have a good feeling about this. :)

Back