• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ladies and Shotguns

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Ladies of Mossberg Owners,

For those of you with experience behind shotguns, we would love to hear from you. From training, to recoil management, to accessories, what works for you and what would you recommend to other ladies who are just getting started?

Well I shoot a 12ga shotty. I've had an H&R and a couple Mossy's. Might not be for all girls but I love it. Dove hunting and shooting clay is what makes a shotgun fun for me... I like the challenge of shooting a moving target.

Start with a smaller caliber and work your way up. Don't be afraid. Learn the firearm before taking it to the field, knowledge is power! Wear ear plugs :) I feel like I'm not much help.

Make sure you get one that fits. I tried about a dozen shot guns and it dawned on me have her try a youth model. My girlfriend is about 5'1. And she loves it. Said she's never had a gun fit so well. Just my experience with women and shooting.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Start with a smaller caliber and work your way up. Don't be afraid. Learn the firearm before taking it to the field, knowledge is power! Wear ear plugs :) I feel like I'm not much help.

thank you very much for this post.i just showed it to my 66 yo wife and she said WOW,and agreed to try some shooting at the range this spring.ill start her on a .22. ;)
so don't say you didn't help much. :)

Sfd714 said:
Make sure you get one that fits. I tried about a dozen shot guns and it dawned on me have her try a youth model. My girlfriend is about 5'1. And she loves it. Said she's never had a gun fit so well. Just my experience with women and shooting.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Super advice! That makes all the difference! Youth models fit me better too, it's just a pain to find them in 12ga.

old mossy said:
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:

thank you very much for this post.i just showed it to my 66 yo wife and she said WOW,and agreed to try some shooting at the range this spring.ill start her on a .22. ;)

I'm so excited to hear this! A .22 is perfect to start with. Not wry noisy, no recoil, lightweight, and accurate. You just can't go wrong! She's going to love it!

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
old mossy said:
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:

I'm so excited to hear this! A .22 is perfect to start with. Not wry noisy, no recoil, lightweight, and accurate. You just can't go wrong! She's going to love it!

she hasnt shot in 15 years,she loved it back then, TY

Definitely start with a lower caliber. The first time I went shooting the guy gave me his glock and it was too much for me. It made me a little more nervous to shoot his other guns. I found myself loving his .22 I am really looking forward to going out on the range soon since I just bought my first gun, mossberg 500 shotgun youth model. I found the youth model to be more comfortable since I am smaller.

One of my female cousins has been dove hunting for 30 years or so. She uses a 12 gage and normally bags a hundred or more in her field every season. Don't know the model she uses, but specific choke, etc. for dove. Good eats. :)

I did some research on shotguns, and some shooting, before I purchased one. I laugh at myself now, because originally I wanted a persuader. Until I shot one. I did not like the kick of the shorty 12 gauge. The other shotgun that I used was a semi automatic. Since I have a semi automatic 22 (the mossberg tactical assault one), I really didn't want that. However, it was a 12 gauge and the recoil was less. I finally settled on a 20 gauge, 24" - pump action. I love it - and although my son did tease me a bit for getting a 20 rather than a 12, I have no problem with the recoil - as there is very little . I did get a chuckle or two after my brother told me that I really shouldn't have purchased such a big shotgun as it would knock me on my a$$. Obviously he didn't study shotguns - since the 12 is bigger than the 20. I love my 20 gauge, and it is the perfect starter shotgun for me. :D

I know this over a year old but I'm a newbie! I started out with a 28 gauge pump and moved to a mossberg silver reserve over under still in 28 gauge for my 14 year old daughter and we Re both hooked on the caliber . Also my daughter loves the mossberg so much she is constantly looking on line for another one . She wants to collect them. She hits almost every clay I throw as long as they get anywhere near in front of her. The mossberg 28 was supposed to be mine until she shot it . Will be staying in 28 because I like keeping the number of ammo types simple and I'm reloading . That's right me... It's my reloaded not hers...she can't have it!

We love reading these kinds of posts!

It's great that your daughter enjoys shooting and even better yet that you've taken the time to teach her. Some of my most fond memories are of my Pop teaching me to shoot as a kid, and these are memories that she will cherish for the rest of her life. Be sure to post up some pics of that SR O/U when you get a chance...

I'll try to put up some photos of the weekend shoot we had over the summer. It was my 17 year old daughter , my 14 year old daughter and her friend , my 8 year old daughter ( on the mossberg 142a t bolt 22 ) and my self . We had so much fun the girls want to make it a regular event. Not once a year but once a month . When it's warm! I don't often get a chance to post but I'll keep you all up to date and will see if my daughter can post the photos . I don't know how!!!

That's great you and your daughters shooting. Looking forward to more shooting stories and pics.

If you or your daughters need any help posting pics there are plenty of good people here to help you. Feel free to ask.

Back