• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Laser Rangefinders

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I wanted to start a discussion on rangefinders. Mostly because I suck at estimating long distances correctly, so for me to be able to place an accurate shot at long distances, I am handicapped where that is concerned and need a rangefinder badly.

To what I think is 350 yards, may actually be closer to 270, as to which could be the difference between a hit or a miss altogether.

My first rangefinder was in the form of a Bushnell Yardage Pro laser rangefinding 4-12x scope. I thought it was the coolest thing since ice cream when I first got it. It had a lot of good features (like a remote switch you can put on your handguard), but I always just used the manual button on the side of it.

I sold the AR that scope was mounted leading up to the '08 elections and have went without since mostly due to not really having a gun that is capable of long distance shooting until I picked up the fal recently, so since it has the oomph and accuracy to get out there, I am getting that gun setup as my first grab for that sort of thing.

So, I needed a new finder and found the one I wanted at ebay for far less than MSRP. I researched all of the big brands out there and settled on a Wildgame Innovations HALO X-Ray Z6X 600 Yard Laser Range Finder.

More info here:
http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/halo-xray600.html

Its' small size doesn't take up much room (about 4"x3") and doesn't weigh a lot- (mere ounces), but it has one features that didn't even exist a few years ago, and that dealt with shooting at angles.

Living in the Appalachian Mountains, I can count on 3 fingers the places where I can shoot that is mostly level and flat land, so having a rangefinder that calculates both the actual distance to the object and the "theoretical" distance based on your shooting angle will be very beneficial to me.

AI-intel.png

I hadn't planned on adding any more weight or bulk to the rifle itself because it's a beast in its' own right, but found that the rangefinder fit in a Blackhawk cheekpad with side pocket perfectly, so at least this way the rangefinder is convienently located and with the gun where it needs to be and is not in my way.

I was also able to fit a ballistic chart cheat sheet in the pocket with the finder so I can do holdovers at least out to 400 yards with no scope adjustments being necessary at all. Or at least theoretically LOL

I am interested in finding out what kind of rangefinders you guys are using and how you like them (or not).

90 people waiting. Could be a bit before you see it I have no dog in this fight I as am also looking for a range finder just makes me wonder what the hold up is and will it slow down any warrantee issues

I have 2...a Leupold RXII that no longer gives angle compensated distance (but still Line Of Sight distance) and a new Nikon Archer's Choice. The Leupold gave distance +/- 1 yard while the Nikon is +/- .1 yd. I use them for bowhunting and target archery so the difference in accuracy is huge (not so much if using a rifle).

Both can be switched from ft/yds to meters. The Nikon is backlit if I need it to be. The Leupold is not. Both are compact, easy to hold and use, even with gloves on. Both read out to 600 yds depending on the objects reflectivity.

One thing that was nice about the Leupold was it gave both LOS and angle compensated distance (that is how I figured it was broken...both read the same regardless of angle). The Nikon gives one distance so you can't compare them. You can turn off the compensation feature but it takes a bit of button pushing to do it.

The Leupold had a myriad of features that I never used including built in MOA, Hold Over, etc functions based on your selected cartridge. The Nikon is simpler with less bells and whistles. Since I rifle hunt 1 week out of the year and bowhunt 4-5 months (as well as shoot target archery from April to Oct) the Nikon fits my needs better at this time.

I believe I got the Nikon for $249 thru Optics Planet.

I am borrowing a Leica lrf 800. It works good, hard to read the display in bright light

I've got a refurb Nikon Prostaff 550 I bought from Natchess ($99.00). It's worked great for two hunting seasons now. The only downsides I've found is that it is hard to use in very low light (no illumination), and there is no tripod mount.

It does not have the angle technology or any other bells and whistles but I didn't need it.

The angle technology isn't really needed for rifles unless you're in very steep terrain. It can be very helpful when bow hunting, especially when you're 25-30 or more up in a tree. Unless you know the horizontal distance to all the surrounding objects (trees, rocks, etc) you will probably shoot very high. Also, it is very effective on hilly archery courses (where allowed).

The angle technology isn't really needed for rifles unless you're in very steep terrain.
yeah, never really got that, but I'm simple. I aim low on slopes, up or down. Shot over the backs of enough to figure out the hold with my -06.

I know a lot of people that are now using them for golf as well.

For archery I use it a lot when hunting an open field where there are no points of reference for yardage. In thicker woods I use it to distance fixed points of reference.

I have been using the vortex ranger 1000 and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back