• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Laser Rangefinders...

deereatingpopcorn.gif

I'm curious about this one myself.

Oh, my 'things-I-need' list is sooooo long—and that's on it. I'd buy bang-for-the-buck if the right unit became obvious! *watching - waiting*

buyobuyo said:
I have a Zeiss PRF (http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5F/C ... DB0063C4F4). I did a bunch of research when I was looking for a range finder. Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica are the best, but you're going to pay for it. I went with Zeiss because it seems like the best bang for my buck.

What are your impressions of this model? Any things that you esp like? Dislike?

MikeD said:
What are your impressions of this model? Any things that you esp like? Dislike?

This will the 3rd hunting season, since I bought it. Optical quality, as would be expected, is awesome. Navigating the few menus for setup is easy, and the owners manual is well written and understandable. Another benefit is the reticle. One of the biggest complaints that I read while researching was that the reticle on the Swarovski was too big which make it difficult to get a good aim for long range ranging. The reticle on the Zeiss is smaller which is easier to use at longer ranges.

My only real dislike/disappointment is with the ballistic compensation function. I hunt with reloads using cast bullets and have never got around to figuring out if any of the programmed trajectories match with my loads. However, as far as I know, all of the models use pre-programmed trajectories. It would be nice is someone made a unit that you could enter muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, and zero range for custom trajectories. However, there are lots of websites where you can get that info. Another nice feature would be a read out of the up/down hill angle, but Bushnell rangefinders are the only ones that I know if with that feature.

buyobuyo said:
Another nice feature would be a read out of the up/down hill angle, but Bushnell rangefinders are the only ones that I know if with that feature.

That is high on my list of features as I plan on using it for bowhunting as well and the differences in vertical distance and horizontal distance are even more of an issue due to the larger arc of the projectile.

Thanks for the info.

I'm a Leupold fanboy, so I'm holding out to get my hands on one of their models. But, with what I know about Leica and their survey equipment, if money was no object I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money on their rangefinder.

Halo Ballistix 600

Works well, I use rechargeable batteries in it, and accounts for slope/angles, which I have a lot of, and can routinely be found for around $110.

Had a Leupold RX-III but lost it earlier this year. It stopped giving me the angle corrected distance so I was just using it to range archery targets on level ground. Also have a Nikon Archer's Choice. Angle compensated, very accurate.

Back