• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

latest project

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
For the second year in a row I'm making a knife for a B4K auction. Just thought I would share some pics here

B4K_Knife_001_zpsttsaca4i.jpg

B4K_Knife_002_zpsijkmetpn.jpg

Some test fitting.

B4K_Knife_003_zps1ut5k0db.jpg

B4K_Knife_004_zpsror7e47c.jpg

Once it's all glued together I hand file and sand it to smooth it out. Tedious but makes it look nice. I tried using the sander and grinder at one point during previous projects but the heat generated had adverse effects on the epoxy. Once it's glued I only hand file/sand now.

B4K_Knife_005_zpswo3kjnx2.jpg

B4K_Knife_007_zpsvq3s1qb6.jpg

B4K_Knife_008_zpsjn0z4prl.jpg

B4K_Knife_009_zps7kw6zv6d.jpg

I decided to go with a guthook blade and two different metals in the guard this time for something different.

I still have a little final sanding, buffing and cleanup of the tape residue, etc. to do but the knife is basically done.

I'll be starting the sheath tomorrow night.

I'll take some more pics as I go through the sheath making process and of the final product.

That is some fine craftsmanship, Mike. You are a heckuvan artist.

Looking good Mike.
Are you going to sand the blade where it meets the guard?

Looking good Mike.
Are you going to sand the blade where it meets the guard?

I typically do not unless needed. During the process I sometimes get some scratches there that usually just come out during the buffing process. In this case I ended up with a few more marks than I would have liked so I may do some light fine grit sanding and then let the buffing wheel blend it all in.

My main toolset for this consists of a handheld belt sander I secure in the vise. I use this primarily for squaring up the end of the antler, I usually have to work with the angle a little after cutting (hacksaw) it to get the blade to line up the way I want it and for the guard to sit flat with no gaps.

The only other power tool I use is a drill press with a small sanding drum and buffing wheel. This is used to drill holes in the guard which get filed into a slot for the blade and then later to shape the guard and for final buffing.

The rest are just some small files and various grits of sandpaper/buffing compound.

That looks really good Mike.

I enjoy seeing folks take the time and actually MAKE something compared to the typical mindset of buying it these days.

My question is, how did you bore out that deep for the tang? What did you use?

That looks really good Mike.

I enjoy seeing folks take the time and actually MAKE something compared to the typical mindset of buying it these days.

My question is, how did you bore out that deep for the tang? What did you use?
Just my drill press and a 1/4" drill.

I laid the blade next to the handle and marked the angles with tape from two directions. Using a small drill vise I clamped down the handle and then used a level to eyeball the tape angles to make sure they were where they needed to be. The handle actually extended down through the vise which was just holding it near the cut end. I changed the angle of the vise using coins at the corners where I screwed it down to the plate on the drill press. I'll try yo take another picture with a mock up as it's probably hard to envision it.

I used to drill a small hole and work a rectangle out of it to more firmly hold the blade but over time I have found the just a round hole will suffice once the epoxy dries. (and it's a lot easier ;-D) I leave it clamped up under a small heat source (like a lamp) for 24-48+ hours to make sure it has set. I like either the gorilla glue epoxy or JB Weld Both hold up well and are easy to work with.

I have to cut the tang to to fit the antler as it is usually too long. I also score it in several places with a grinder so the epoxy has something to grip.

I'm all about high tech!!! LOL

Awesome. That was really good thinking.

Very nice Mike. My boy and I are going to try making a knife or two and maybe a machete this summer...I may have some questions.

Very nice Mike. My boy and I are going to try making a knife or two and maybe a machete this summer...I may have some questions.

I'll do my best to answer, I'm no expert, but through some trial and error I found a process that works for my needs. If I can help I'd be happy to pass on what I can.

Also if anyone see's anything I am doing wrong of if there is a easier way to do what I am doing let me know, always open to new information.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I've made one for every member of my family that hunts and several for various charity auctions but I still have not made one for myself. Funny how that works out.

Still need to apply the finishing sealer to the sheath but it's pretty much done. The sealer will darken it quite a bit. I had to moisten the leather to wok the pattern so I need to make sure it is completely dry before dipping it in the wax. I dip it in beaswax, it gives it a nice coating and it makes the leather a little stiffer.

...Though I never seem to think it has been buffed enough. LOL

B4K_Knife_013_zpsky3h20fz.jpg

B4K_Knife_014_zps2gnjpgte.jpg

B4K_Knife_015_zpsyvkv5cro.jpg

B4K_Knife_016_zpsldhjgh2w.jpg

I like the whole thing Mike, but I couldn't notice the fancy embossing. That's even neater.

Back