• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Learning the Savage Hog Hunter .223

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I'm new to long range shooting. I had an AR some time ago and made a couple long shots with it on targets. I'm finding that having 30 rounds ready to go also meant I was less careful with my shots because I had many more rounds available to back me up. With the bolt gun I'm taking my time and am being much more deliberate.

I don't have a lot of photos of targets which I realize is almost like breaking some unwritten Cardinal Rule but work with me for now.

Here's my philosophy for this rifle. It's intended primarily to deal with predators. I'll use commonly available ammunition, stuff that's easy to find on shelves. I don't want to get into ammo I have to order so I want to find something I like and keep plenty of it and get good with it. I don't expect to shoot clover leaf patterns at long distance. I expect my longest shot to be about 250 yards.

The rifle is the Model 11 Hog Hunter short action .223. It has the accutrigger but not the accustock. It's not the least bit bedded but the trigger is creep free with a nice break.

I have less than 100 rounds through the gun so far. My first time sighting in I was able to get to 1.19 MOA with Hornady TAP FPD 55 gr and 1.25 MOA with American Eagle FMJ 55 gr black box. I was shooting from a seated position with the rifle rested on a backpack. There was a measurable difference in POI between those two loads.

I picked up some Fiocchi FMJBT 55 gr a couple weeks later and wasn't initially impressed but it was cheap. I shot about 1.5 MOA from prone but the POI was also a little off on this load from what I had zero' previously. Last weekend however, I went to my neighbors place and did some shooting with him. He and I both were shooting about the same 1.5 MOA and were just slightly left. We call this guy the coyote killer and I was happy to see he and I were shooting the same so I made an adjustment to the right for 3/4". We set up to shoot prone, just threw some work clothes and jackets on the ground and used the backpack as a rest. We both then shot a tighter group, about 1 MOA. For my next set, he put up an unopened pop can in front of the target. My first shot hit the pop can and my next two shots were nearly touching at .5 MOA. I couldn't have been happier, but the excitement didn't last too long, my next group was more than 1.5 MOA! Oh well, it keeps me humble! :) My coyote killing neighbor also shot a .5 MOA group so I'm very pleased this far.

For a lower priced rifle without the pillar bedded stock, it's still capable of sub-MOA accuracy and I don't feel it's at all inadequate.

For now, just one photo of our 100 yards set up last weekend.

Sounds like it's doin pretty good for you. Bear in mind, with your intended purpose, the first shot is the important one. It's easy to get wrapped up in tiny groups. But so long as the first shot, cold barrel, lands in a 4 inch circle from point of aim, you're golden.

Get your hands on some fiocchi 50gr Vmax and you'd be surprised what it can do.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/78493019@N02/15400867148/

If I ever see those on the shelf somewhere I'll get some but I'll also ask, do you think the slightly lighter bullet weight would be a problem on dogs?

Sounds like it's doin pretty good for you. Bear in mind, with your intended purpose, the first shot is the important one. It's easy to get wrapped up in tiny groups. But so long as the first shot, cold barrel, lands in a 4 inch circle from point of aim, you're golden.

Yes, exactly, which is why I was really happy about hitting that pop can! Between shooting groups we walked to the targets to switch them out, walk back, have a smoke and stand around and talk for several minutes allowing the barrel to cool down. The first cold bore shot is exactly what I'm looking for. :) :sniper:

I've read a lot of people using 45, 50, and 52 grain projectiles on coyote. The explosive power of the ballistic tip does a lot of internal damage. Speed means expansion. Expansion is death. So long as you're in the kill zone, and don't hit a shoulder or rib first it's gonna be a clean kill.

^ This

Dogs? 'Yotes?

This is a typical group for me. This is the third group I shot last weekend from the position pictured above.

Time to start making them 5 shot groups now.

It will be a better determination of the rifle's accuracy and your trigger control and consistency.

Great shots btw!!

You're good to go for a predator killer. Be careful chasing tiny groups. You'll get into reloading....... then rifle accurizing, it's another expensive hobby...... lol

You're good to go for a predator killer. Be careful chasing tiny groups. You'll get into reloading....... then rifle accurizing, it's another expensive hobby...... lol

Nah, not gonna happen. The principal of this rifle is to use common ammo without getting into anything I can't find boxed and ready to go off the shelf and for the rifle itself to remain in its minimalist glory.

There have been a few coyotes spotted recently including one on my property. I think it the same big male we had first seen last year. He leaves some big tracks and guessing he's about 35 pounds. He's mostly around my neighbors place and is spotted just occasionally. But the hay fields across the street have been cut so it's time to try and get a couple nailed down.

I'm very confident in my rifle. It's not high end and it's capable of sub MOA. Cold bore shots are easily MOA to target. If I can get a bead on a dog, we'll get em.

We're thinking of heading over to Hamilton to hunt the 12' Burmese Python prowling around. Sounds like your weapon is fully capable of gitin' the critter...;)

Back