• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let me share how I fixed my 930 SPX...

HoldenIron

Copper BB
Hi gang, I bought a new 930 SPX on the 7/1/16...really nice gun. Black furniture and tan paint job. I took it home and first thing I always do is a basic field stripping to clean any cosmoline or thick oil out of it so when I shoot for the first time I can diagnosis any problems easier and rule out one potential problem right off the bat.

I go to reassemble and guess what? The barrel will not slide all the way back into the receiver. It's being hung up somewhere in the gas piston area. I remove the gas piston and look inside the gas chamber area and the is a spring that has popped out on one side from the area of the gas chamber that holds the large blue spring. Imagine that...seems like some of you other fellows here have had the same problem also.

Being a gunsmith for about 16 years I happen to have a large assortment of tools on hand. I wasn't able to slip the spring back in place as things where so, I grab this...
pll7iiGBj

This removes nuts off of shotgun forends as well as the nut that captures the gas spring. So once the giant blue gas spring is out you can see a spacer which has a recess cut out of the inner side surface. Sitting there is the offending spring which sits inside of that spacer. A simple push and the spring within the spacer is back where it should be...

Keep in mind the spacer has a flat side and a tapered side....the correct orientation is flat side in first, tapered side against the end of the blue spring...

Something else to consider as well is that spacer needs to be lined up even all the way around with the blue spring when reinstalling with that handy dandy forend tool. If the spacer is not installed centered all the way around when installing the blue spring the barrel will not sit all the way down flush into the receiver because the mag tube will be obstructed while trying to go through the gas port/gas piston section of the barrel. Hope this helps...

Time to reinstall the spacer, gas spring and gas spring nut: approximately 15 minutes.

Wow, you have paid your dues with that, Sir.
What do you call that tool? Does it have other applications? Cost?

Question - what caused that to slip out and what is going to keep it from happening again?

Alright friends the exact model forend wrench I used doesn't seem to be carried any longer but, if you go to Midway USA or Brownells and do a product search for "shotgun forend wrench" you will see several different models very similar to the one I used. Most will fit many different Manufactures...if it list Mossberg 500 then it will also fit the 930....price is in the neighborhood of $22 give or take + shipping....hope this helps.

Question - what caused that to slip out and what is going to keep it from happening again?
For me that is a tuff question as I had not even fired my new shotgun yet...all I had done at that point was remove the barrel for cleaning. As I have read through these forums it seems that particular spring pops out often...my first thought is a burr or rough spot on the magazine tube is giving the spring sufficient surface area to grab hold off and dislodging itself...upon inspection of my own magazine tube I did find a nice burr in the general area where that spring would ride the magazine tube and I removed the burr with a little steel wool. I guess time will tell if that was the problem and if .10 of steel wool fixed the problem.

Thanks for your reply. I have not had that problem, just read here same as you some have. I have noticed some wear on my magazine tube in this area. I'm not sure if what I have is normal or might be caused by that spring trying to pooch out or is out of center. I have approx. 350 rounds through it, all 3 inch mag.

Back