• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let's See Those Custom/Rare Blades

Mr.E, theyre both awesome! I really love the bayonet though!!!

My grandfathers US Navy MARK 1
etTkRl.jpg

1Yr4Pl.jpg

Mjfcal.jpg

my grandfather's father's straight razor. his dad bought it for him as an 18th birthday present, for $3.00! made in 1893-94. Sperry & Alexander (made in germany)
8DSicl.jpg

Nice blades there Rip!

What's the handle on that razor made of? It looks like finger bones...

Those are all really neat. My husband has some damaskus (sp?) Knives, but don't know how rare those are and I'm not sure where he keeps them to take a photo.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Nice blades there Rip!

What's the handle on that razor made of? It looks like finger bones...

i'm pretty sure it's ivory. it does look like fingers though!...i always thought it looked like bamboo.

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Those are all really neat. My husband has some damaskus (sp?) Knives, but don't know how rare those are and I'm not sure where he keeps them to take a photo.

you need to get him in here as a member. then he can post em up ....and you'll be one closer to that scope!

ripjack13 said:
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:

you need to get him in here as a member. then he can post em up ....and you'll be one closer to that scope!

I already referred him, he signed up the other day and commented on my post...he just works a lot! :)

also..Damascus is a type of metal

Damascus steel was a term used by several Western cultures from the Medieval period onward to describe a type of steel used in sword making from about 300 BC to 1700 AD. These swords are characterized by distinctive patterns of banding and mottling reminiscent of flowing water. Such blades were reputed to be not only tough and resistant to shattering, but capable of being honed to a sharp and resilient edge.

The original method of producing Damascus steel is not known. Due to differences in raw materials and manufacturing techniques, modern attempts to duplicate the metal have not been entirely successful. Despite this, several individuals in modern times have claimed that they have rediscovered the methods in which the original Damascus steel was produced. Today, the term is used to describe steel that mimics the appearance and performance of Damascus steel, usually that which is produced by the techniques of crucible forging or pattern welding.

The reputation and history of Damascus steel has given rise to many legends, such as the ability to cut through a rifle barrel, or cut a hair falling across the blade. No evidence exists to support such claims. But National Geographic and others have reported on research revealing nano wires and carbon nano tubes (which was the first time this had been seen in steel). Whatever the lost methods of making Damascus steel, of ore refinement and forging, they harnessed impurities and changes at the molecular level. Although modern steel still outperforms these swords, the microscopic chemical reactions may have made the blades more resilient for their time. Other experts are unsurprised, and expect to discover such nano tubes in more and more relics as they are looked at more closely.

see this also...

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom/98 ... -9809.html

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
ripjack13 said:
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:

I already referred him, he signed up the other day and commented on my post...he just works a lot! :)
What is his screen name GuysLoveGuns1 lol

Here's one I've had since I was a kid. It was bought off a local knife peddler. Not much information on it other than it's old and it was made in Spain in their signature bull horn style. I've always thought it was really cool...

Blade length: 9.5"
OAL: 21.75"

Real nice find Sniper...

That is a 18th century style Curro folding knife made for generations by the Muela family of Spain. It utilizes a thumb catch atop the handle for unlocking the blade. Those knives usually have genuine Bullhorn or Red Stag antler for the handle materials with Moly-Vanadium stainless steel blades. The etching on the blade is really unique...and contains the word Toledo.

Toledo has been a traditional sword-making, steel-working center since about 500 BC, and came to the attention of Rome when used by Hannibal in the Punic Wars. Soon, it became a standard source of weaponry for Roman Legions.

Toledo steel was famed for its very high quality alloy, whereas Damascene steel, a competitor from the Middle Ages on, was famed for a specific metal-working technique.

muela_knives_logo.jpg

One of my favorites...

Hen & Rooster Bowie...16" of steel from Toledo, Spain...genuine stag grip.

BOWIE-1-1.jpg

I really like the looks of this one...wicked blade, yet spartan in design.

WICKEDSET-1-1.jpg

Back