• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let's see your SKS!

Re: Going to look at Norinco SKS today. UPDATED

SHOOTER13 said:
Sounds like a job for WD-40...it will penetrate the rust or gunk ( cosmoline ) that's holding it fast. Oil will not do the job...

That is what I am thinking

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Finally got a chance to remove the trigger group to send off to get a trigger job on it. No wonder the magazine wouldnt come out damn thing was rusted to the piece that goes in the gun. I tell ya this feller stored that sks under water. I got it out by putting a screw driver behind it and gently working it out. Ill just have the whole durn thing parkerized. That will take care of that.

The price I paid for it is about accurate in this area for this condition.

200 is good for an SKS anywhere as long as it shoots decent

oli700 said:
200 is good for an SKS anywhere as long as it shoots decent

It does. Barrel is unaffected.

I just picked up a Yugo sks today. I love these old guns and the smell of cosmoline. can't wait to get to work on the stock and clean it up. the last one of these i had i bleached the wood and stained it and sealed it. the blonde wood looked good.

Lets see your SKS! Post them up!

232323232%7Ffp53862%3Enu%3D8%3B%3A2%3E%3A55%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D386%3B985%3A5932%3Anu0mrj

Got it tore down and cleaned for the most part. The previous owner hadn't even shot it. The firing pin was completely bound up in the fire position with cosmoline that if you tried to rack a bullet I bet it would fire. The guy probably had no idea what he was doing and never cared enough to find out. At least it will have a good home now. Firing pin free now and cleaned up the barrel to check it. Looks like this one is a keeper with all matching numbers!

Congrats on your find.

...and bless you Sir for rescuing that fine weapon from the hands of neglect!

I do what I can but I was informed that this gun will be the last purchase (that the fiancé knows about...) for a while.

Oh she's into guns but she is trying to plan our wedding in like 71 days. She did say she really liked the sks.

Just pulled my SPARC Vortex off mine for the new AK. Pics when the TRUGLO reflex on order arrives! My Yugo is a good shooter, bought right by today' standards and cleaned up very well. If I ever sell my (what is that goo called?? Getting late) cleaning hours get folded into the price. It was a great experience bringing a piece of military history back to life and the plus is it's a really good shooter in an affordable mid-sized caliber. Fun and good (not great) for multiple purposes.

COSMOLINE - that's the military goo!! Solvents, heat (yep, had parts in the oven) and lots of scrubbing, picking and finding new bits and blobs. An experience that will stay with me for a long time. Cheaper than an AK and I can out shoot most. Now, if I could only find one of the 20 round Chinese fixed mags! Don't hesitate to call if you have one that you will part with!!! Cash on the barrell right now!!

Okay i figured i better post up a picture of the target the sks shot at. I only got 40 rounds down range(we were having to much fun with the little 22) but it shoots very nicely. this would have been the first target, 10 rounds at about 35 yards on iron stghts. it may have been less distance, i need a range finder...
232323232%7Ffp53845%3Enu%3D8%3B%3A2%3E%3A55%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D388759478832%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53562%3Enu%3D8%3B%3A2%3E%3A55%3E239%3EWSNRCG%3D387%3B39%3C54932%3Anu0mrj

Moved the SPARC red dot to the AR and now have the same TRU GLO on this as the 930 - like it a lot. In current trim (unloaded) it's at 9lb. 9 oz. and all reversible. If done carefully the sight on the receiver cover can work and stay on zero IF the fit is tight. If you file too aggressively you will blow it. The scope mount is a see-through unit for perfect co witnessing - set me back about $30 on Amazon. Shot it late last week after changing the sights - a good shooter at a great price!!

I may take the grenade launcher off BUT it does act as a flash suppressor to a degree and the replacement suppressors I've seen look like crap and are best if welded on - not something I want to do. Oh and time to check the condition of the original sling OR invest in a new one. Any suggestions for something that uses the existing connections? they are mid bottom butt stock and left side half way to the grenade launcher up the barrel - the retaining pin for the bayonet looks like an alternative possible spot as well - input appreciated.

7068158539_32851cf8bc.jpg

7068159567_58467fd8d9.jpg

Back