• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let's see your SKS!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Very cool.

Is there any wobble in the mount?

No - I filed it (no Dremel) very carefully - the units come oversized to allow for that customization. At the finish I bent the front tips VERY slightly down and it wedges right in place. The test was removing it to clean it then checking zero - it held. The same was true when I had the SPARC Vortex tubular red dot on it. It IS a high impact area on the gun so maybe time will tell but I kept finding those few success stories out there among all the folks complaining that this did not work and they ALL mentioned working very deliberately toward an absolute tight fit SO I thought I'd take a crack at it.

The iron sight co-witness tunnel works very well also - a bit small but it's enough to shoot consistently through.

Traded my S&W 642 for this today...

a3403a06.jpg

I will probably get rid of that magazine, since I understand they are normally not reliable. I wanted to get at least one semiauto rifle before prices skyrocket. I know most of you will hate that stock on it, but i actually like it, even though I normally would rather have wood. I will probably be getting the AK47 I have been wanting for so long in the next week or two also.

Nice honkey!

You might give it a try with the 30 rounder first. Those conversion kits are hit or miss, but you never know. Let us know how she does...

Good find Honkey.

I used to have one almost identical to the way yours is set up.

ATI doesn't make that version of the stock anymore, so hang onto it.

Here is my first SKS after I put some chocolate chip on it :cool:

Norincosksandaccessoriesextended.jpg

And since I had so much sellers remorse, here's its' replacement

skspics012.jpg

I have written verification from the importer that this particular gun was brought into the country May 1989. A full 2 months before 922 went into effect

Thanks guys, the thirty round magazine is a REALLY tight fit. It looks like whoever owned the rifle previously did their own work on the magazine to make it fit in. Luckily, there are no marks from drilling or anything like that on the gun itself.

Also, the scope mount gets in the way of the iron sights. I'm trying to decide if I want to mount a scope or try to take the mount off. Anybody know how to take it off or what type of inexpensive scope would go on there? The obvious thing, I thought, was to just unscrew the bolt that is in there, but it didn't budge even a little bit. I actually think an inexpensive scope would be cool, but a guy at a different pawn shop told me that because of the location of the scope mount, the scope wouldn't hold a zero. Is that true?

f8058c3b.jpg

11a56ba4.jpg

That is an aftermarket scope mount and it is built into that receiver cover. In order to get rid of it, you'll have to find an SKS reciever cover and replace the entire piece.

Never done business with them, but I found one with a quick search

http://www.leverarms.com/sks-rear-housing-cover.html

Also, if you mount a scope, it should be a very short one since SKS eject empties upwards, because longer scopes get in the way of normal gun function.

I don't have experience with either of those specific optics, however, the 2nd one you linked, I have seen a similiar optic like it fail on a friends gun, so I would probably not go that route.

And for the price of the first one, I would probably lean toward a Bushnell Trophy 4 red dot, especially since I don't like lasers and I know the Trophy is a good optic. Several other forum members own them as well.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-1x28-trophy1.html

As for your gun being sporterized, I would hope that it had several US made parts. That 922 compliance stuff is tricky if you're not careful.

Thanks for that heads up!

My main concern is that since I don't really know what I'm doing, I don't want to order a scope that isn't compatible with the mount that is on there already.

It looks like a weaver rail, but most mounts will fit either picatinny or weaver.

The rings to avoid with that gun is a rimfire mount.

Forgot I had already posted - consider it an update!

Cabelas had a sale a couple of years back - a BIG shipment all in Cosmoline (military reconditioned, all numbers natch for just under $200 IIRC. I had the Sales guys bring out ones that I could choose from (each individually boxed and covered with a waxy paper) until they told me to quit - think I got them to six units then I picked out the one here a Yugo with the grenade launcher and all the support extras. I removed the bayonet, cleaning rod, kit in the butt stock - anything reversible to lighten it up - it currently weighs in at 9lbs. 9oz. The butt stock pad is new / modern.

7677032134_9ac0aae642.jpg

7677030880_cc43ac9a81.jpg

If done carefully (got to keep it a TIGHT fit) optics can work on the receiver cover. This one holds zero after being removed to clean.

7677028668_1b4bafeb66.jpg

Iron sight line remains usable with this mount.

7677029724_38c0b96f83.jpg

The point-and-shoot is tough to control - I should stop being lazy and get the SLR for a nice sight line shot - believe me the front and rear are there and easy to use!

Time to take this one to the range - been a while. At Saturday's 2 Gun match I did something nasty to my left rotator cuff - I have a range trip planned for Wed. with a fiber optic front sight going on my Glock 34. If my shoulder settles down the SKS is due for a workout.

The wood is just now starting to feel a bit dry (long time coming!). The Cosmo / mineral spirits finish looked just fine for a long while. Next pics will probably have some new finish on it - even just a clear coat - the color is pretty good as-is.

The only thing I'd change (besides adding a sling) would be to try a 20 round Chinese internal stock magazine. 10 rounds is not bad. 20 would be sweet! :D

honkey said:
Thanks for that heads up!

My main concern is that since I don't really know what I'm doing, I don't want to order a scope that isn't compatible with the mount that is on there already.

1X red dots are really sights not scopes. I have two of the TRUGLO reflex sights that resemble the second one you are looking at. True one did fail - the glass went south right away. TRUGLO replaced it without a problem. The one on my SKS is great and good to 100 yds with my aging eyes. The second resided on my Mossberg 930 until very recently. 7.62 is a medium sized round with some kick but 00 3" buckshot or 1 oz. slugs are up a whole notch or more and the sight has held up fine through a lot of rounds of all types. The only reason I removed it from the shotgun was for class ratings in competition. A shotgun with optics usually goes to OPEN and that's way over my head.

If you do look at scopes they will have to be compact. Mt eye is only a couple of inches from the rear housing of the TRUGLO and - think eye relief OR bloody eye if you are too close) I see about 1 3/4" in front of the receiver cover before the scope will interfere with strip clip loading.

Well, I realized that the magazine that came with the gun would not load. When I pressed down, the springs did not push back up without grinding and getting stuck. So, I traded that magazine to a guy that said he could fix it for the standard magazine, but I can't get it in. It looks like the stock might be in the way of the magazine sliding all the way in. The magazine that was in it before could only go in if I pulled back the bolt. Can anyone tell me what magazine I need that will fit? I see the detachable SKS mags, and I am not sure if they will fit, or if I should get a single stack AK magazine. I can not remember if the previous magazine had the duckbill or if it actually was a 30 round AK mag.

Also, how would I find out if this is the Model D? I see a serial number that has a D at the beginning.

To answer your question about removable (regular duckbill sks) mags, the bolt would need to be open, and if it uses the original box mags, the trigger group assembly would need to be removed to reinstall an oem mag too, but is simple and only takes a few minutes.

I actually prefer the original box magazine over the detachables. If you use stripper clips, you can reload (and unload) the gun so much faster with the original design.

And this link should help you be able to identify exactly which model SKS you have if you take the time to read through it and look at the captioned pictures paying close attention to the details around the mag catch location. The link concentrates on the M and does touch on the D model.

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-23.htm

Since AK mags are not as long (front to back), can you measure the cutout from on your gun front to back where the magazine goes?

sksfiringpinreplacement001.jpg

Hey honkey,

If you need any stripper clips once you get your mag situation worked out just let me know. I've got a ton of them layin around from some bulk Russian 7.62 I ordered a couple years ago...

Thanks for the advice guys! I got my magazine re-attached today. It took a bit of work to take out the trigger assembly, but I got it done. Now all I need is to figure out what I will do about my sight.

I had 3 pistols to test and tune today at th $3 an hour outdoor range. A Taurus Forum has a monthly trust based shootout that I decided to get involved in. I shot 3 pistols for that with some good groups ( rules change monthly - okay with me!). AND I took the SKS out for a workout. With the AR I've gotten more comfortable at 100 yds. (this range's limit) and I shot it at 50 to check zero then shot the hell out of it at 100! At 9lbs and with a good butt pad I forgot what a smooth shooter this gun is. Iron sights get me there but the Truglo red dot is a bit better at hat distance. The last target came in with 60 holes in it - not sniper but all body mass. This gun is mine for life! Woot!!

Back