• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let's see your SKS!

Hey all,

So I got a Christmas present from my aunt, and it just so happens to be an SKS complete with somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 rounds of ammo. I know nothing about these guns, and she really didn't know either. She bought it like 20 years ago and it hasn't been shot for 15 years. The ammo was purchased around the time she got the gun, but it's non-corrosive fmj and looks to be in good condition. The gun is in fantastic condition and looks as if it's hardly been shot. A friend who also owns one helped me tear everything apart and we found the innards to be still full of cosmoline. We cleaned up the gun and it is free of rust and looks safe to be fired. I'll post up some pictures if I can soon, and I also hope to fire it soon. It looks like a fun gun to shoot!

I know nothing of SKS's but that sure sounds like a damn good Christmas present to me! Mhh cosmoline, what a love hate relationship we have with it ;)

Congratulations on the SKS.

What markings are on the gun?

I enjoy shooting the SKS quite a bit.

on the side it reads

SKS 7.62x39 Norinco China Poly USA ATL. GA

All the serial numbers on all the parts match including the stock, so I know it's all the same gun.

You can contact the importer with the serial number and maybe find out when it was imported.

May be important if you ever want to install the bayonet and such.

I have it in writing that mine was imported prior to Clintons import ban. Which makes mine grandfathered where 922 is concerned. Ms. Keng was my reference contact and here is a little of the company history. http://kfsindustries.com/?page_id=81

And the website for polytech

http://stores.polytechparts.com/StoreFront.bok

http://stores.polytechparts.com/-strse- ... t/Page.bok

very nice rifles posted here...

after reading the whole thread to find the answer i cant find so that my ignorance will not be obvious....

please forgive me everyone for asking this question...

but what does SKS stand for?

again my apologies for my ignorance...thank you in advance for the reply..

havoc21 said:
what does SKS stand for?

Technically:
Самозарядный карабин системы Симонова

Russian to English text translation:
Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonov

Self-Loading Carbine system Simonov (Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov was the main designer)

John A. said:
havoc21 said:
what does SKS stand for?

Technically:

Self-Loading Carbine system Simonov (Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov was the main designer)

Thanks. I had wondered that myself and never knew.

John A. said:
You can contact the importer with the serial number and maybe find out when it was imported.

May be important if you ever want to install the bayonet and such.

I have it in writing that mine was imported prior to Clintons import ban. Which makes mine grandfathered where 922 is concerned. Ms. Keng was my reference contact and here is a little of the company history. http://kfsindustries.com/?page_id=81

And the website for polytech

http://stores.polytechparts.com/StoreFront.bok

http://stores.polytechparts.com/-strse- ... t/Page.bok

Mine has the bayonet on it already. I'm not 100% familiar with 922, and searching hasn't revealed all that much to me. What date would it have to be imported before? I'm very much a noobie in this department as I only really own hunting rifles. The only semi-auto gun I possess other than this is my 1911.

May 26, 1994. According to the paperwork that I received from KFS, mine was imported in May 1989.

The ban had to do with the "non-sporting" clause, which I do not agree with to begin with. It's generally illegal to put a bayonet on your Chinese SKS, unless it was imported with one installed originally before the law was enacted.

After that date, they were often included in the packaging, though they were added as accessories and were not installed, nor were they ever supposed to be.

Coincidentally, other country of origins SKS are fine to install a bayonet because they are all classified as C&R eligible while the Chinese are not because the Chinese Gov't would not disclose their manufacturing dates because it has been theorized that the Chinese did not want the U.S. Gov't to know their production capabilities. So, Chinese SKS' were classified as modern weapons since they would not disclose the last year of production.

As long as the gun has the original box mag and wooden stock, it would not fall under the "assault weapon" classification, but you won't be able to add other features like detachable magazines and folding stocks and such, otherwise it will be classified as an assault weapon unless you change some of the parts with USA made parts. Here is a quick check list if you ever felt the desire to do that. http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

And a little less known fact, and possible thread hijack, in 1998 Bill Clinton (by executive order) banned 58 styles of firearm from importation due to falling into the classification of "non-sporting" as interpreted by his Attorney General. These included such firearms as the IMI uzi and H&K MP5, etc.

So I should probably take off the bayonet until I confirm when it was imported? how would I know if it was imported with it on?

My aunt is the last person you would expect to own a gun, and most certainly wouldn't be one to install the bayonet. She basically just wanted to get it out of the house as she has young kids now. She doesn't know the first thing about any of this other than people where she worked at the time were ordering a bunch of these before the ban. I assume, based on that story, that it was imported pre-ban.

As I explained in the PM, I think I would just write the importer and find out with certainty one way or another and go from there.

It's very likely grandfathered. They only sold their remaining inventory/stock after the fact, so realistically more are allowed to wear the bayonet than those that are not.

But there are some few exceptions.

MikeD said:
John A. said:
havoc21 said:
what does SKS stand for?

Technically:

Thanks. I had wondered that myself and never knew.

you learn something new everyday...thank you gentlemen...

I was looking at a few of these at my LGS today and was not able to find one in comparable condition. The cheapest one they had was $350, and it was pretty battered. There were 3 of them in the shop, one that was pretty decked out with accessories was priced at $499.

I Spray Painted My SKS

This is what happens when my local hardware store has a spray paint sale, and I've got a little too much free time on my hands.

Attachments

• SKS Camo.jpg
    SKS Camo.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 37
Re: I Spray Painted My SKS

The paint job looks good.

Also, hard to tell from the picture, but the ATI stock doesn't look like it's accepting the blade bayonet too well.

Or maybe it's just the angle of the pic or :?:

John, you are correct. It's a Tapco T6 stock which comes with the blade bayonet channel cut or without. Mine came without, so I dremeled my own relief cut deep enough for the bayonet to lock closed. I was afraid to go much deeper as I didn't want to do more harm than good. My goal was just to get it functional. It looks funky, but it's solid. Thanks for the compliment.

Looking good Ringer. I always liked the look of the SKS with the blade bayonet.

I've now shot the sks twice and I plan to tear it apart and clean it this afternoon. I just really love this gun!!! It's very fun to shoot, a friend and I went out last weekend and put 60 rounds through it. It's fairly accurate, when I'm not trying to shoot as quickly as possible. I love the smell of gun powder in the morning :)

Very nice. Glad you're getting to cycle the action some ;)

I very much enjoy shooting the Sk too.

Back