1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Let's talk CHEAP ammo...

Discussion in 'Mossberg Patriot Bolt Action' started by Papa D, Jun 29, 2019.

  1. Papa D

    Papa D .410

    Messages:
    74
    My Patriot .308 is primarily a "plinker" for me. It was bought with the intention of running mostly cheap ammo for hitting steel at 100-400 yards, for now. I'm just now getting into this stuff and am looking for info on budget friendly ammo. I know of Tula and Monarch. Both are Russian steel cased ammo and about $.50 a round. Does one have more... Advantage/better reputation than the other? Or both about the same?

    Sent from my Vivo XL4 using Tapatalk
    meanstreak likes this.
  2. John A.

    John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

    Messages:
    15,030
    I personally think that Wolf shoots better in my Fal than surplus 7.62x51 Lake City ammo.

    The CQI stuff at Walmart from Turkey was just AWFUL. It's cheap, but makes my rifle shoot like a shotgun on the target.
    meanstreak and Papa D like this.
  3. meanstreak

    meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    3,616
    I shoot a lot of Tula in 7.62 X 39. It works fine for what I do with it. It's less than a quarter a round.
    John A. and Papa D like this.
  4. CaddmannQ

    CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

    Messages:
    8,340
    Today is the last day in California for cheap ammo. On Monday the new law takes effect and everyone will have to have a background check to buy ammunition.

    Time for a new thread.
    meanstreak likes this.
  5. meanstreak

    meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    3,616
    I know you have been in Kalifornia a long time, and your family is there, but that being said I think I would seriously consider relocating. You could most likely sell your house there and buy one here or elsewhere for a quarter of the amount.

    Just sayin.
    John A. likes this.
  6. meanstreak

    meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    3,616
    It ain't getting any better in the future.
    John A. likes this.
  7. nitesite

    nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    5,759
    I have done close range duty qual shooting with my M1A Scout Squad with TULA because at the ranges we shoot it really doesn't matter. One hundo and within.
    Papa D and meanstreak like this.
  8. CaddmannQ

    CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

    Messages:
    8,340
    @meanstreak If my wife passes before me I may do so, but I consider it unlikely her health will fail before mine. She is absolutely against the idea.

    @ you all
    I was going to buy more ammo today, but then I realized I have enough or the supplies to load what I want to shoot. I have lots of stuff already loaded. My ammo safe is pretty full.

    .22 and .22 mag will be the issue for me. I don't think the law will care how much .22 I buy.

    But I will make a bulk purchase before 2020, when the time is right.
    nitesite likes this.
  9. meanstreak

    meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    3,616
    Good morning all. Blue skies and a muggy 74, 20% chance of rain, or an 80% chance of no rain. Depends on how one looks at it.

    Cadd, I understand keeping the wife happy. If she ain't happy...

    I bought a 100 rounds of .22 mag yesterday and 10 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck. With tax was $39. I got them at Academy Sports here in town. They usually have a good selection to choose from, but I have noticed they have cut back on the guns they keep on hand. It did not seem to be any particular type. As a matter of fact they probably had more ARs than any other type.

    I certainly hope the 2020 goes the right way. I also hope another supreme court opening comes up soon. Wouldn't that be entertaining.

    Anyways, you all have a great day and stay safe.
    nitesite likes this.
  10. dieselmudder

    dieselmudder .30-06 Elite Member "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    2,197
    I really need to get my bench cleared, and start reloading again. I've let myself get sidetracked with other hobbies. I hardly shoot anymore. I was about shocked yesterday evening when the wife brought up shooting this upcoming weekend. Just out of nowhere.

    Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    meanstreak likes this.
  11. meanstreak

    meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    3,616
    Better take her up on that. As they say " strike while the iron is hot".
  12. dieselmudder

    dieselmudder .30-06 Elite Member "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    2,197
    To get back on topic, hitting steel out to 400 yards isn't an easy thing if you're just getting into long range shooting. Going at it with truly cheap ammo will only add to the frustration. I did some browsing, and this seems to be one of the "cheaper" "match grade" ammo options. I've never shot magtech in this caliber, so I'm not going to guarantee any results.

    https://www.sgammo.com/product/magt...8-win-hpbt-sniper-168-grain-magtech-ammo-308d

    Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    Papa D, meanstreak and nitesite like this.
  13. nitesite

    nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    5,759
    Prvi Partisan .308-Win 168-gr BTHP Match has ballistically a very good bullet and accuracy is pretty good beyond 300-yards.

    I think I pay about $15 per box in small lot purchases. Brass reloadable cases.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Papa D and meanstreak like this.
  14. Papa D

    Papa D .410

    Messages:
    74
    Thanks. This is what I'm needing to learn about. Appreciate it

    Sent from my Vivo XL4 using Tapatalk
    meanstreak likes this.
  15. dieselmudder

    dieselmudder .30-06 Elite Member "Philanthropist"

    Messages:
    2,197
    Hey no problem. Without knowing the twist rate off hand I will say that a lot of .308 shoots 168, up to 200 grain bullets pretty well. Every rifle is different though. For example my father has a T/C bolt .308, that shoots 150 grain better. With the same 1/10 barrel twist as my Savage model 10 that likes 168.

    Federal Gold Medal Match, 168 grain loads have proven to be one of the most consistently best shooting across the board though. Although you pay a premium for them.

    Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    meanstreak and Papa D like this.
  16. Papa D

    Papa D .410

    Messages:
    74
    My Patriot is a 1:10.

    Sent from my Vivo XL4 using Tapatalk
    meanstreak likes this.
  17. Tim433

    Tim433 .410

    Messages:
    51
    My 308 patriot LOVES 165 grain bullets. Haven’t shot any heavier, but lighter grain are not so fun.
    meanstreak likes this.

Share This Page