1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Lever Guns

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by DaveinCT, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

They sound nice , I love the williams sights have then on several guns here also. id love to find a deal on a lever in .357/38.
    Psst no pics its just cake no icing, biscuits without gravy :punish:
  2. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I had to give up hunting when the government turned it from a sport to a chore, like 50 years ago.
    Many times before the age of 21 I was hunting in the wilderness without paper. Seasons? Eeeh...
    Nowadays, all my guns are all range toys (until the Godforsaken day I may have to use them for protection.)
    It's looking more possible. Lots of range time will pay off, if it comes to that.
    They also reflect an investment, and I am pleased with how that's going.
    There's a large variety of range toys I would have purchased, had I more foresight.
    meanstreak likes this.
  3. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I am pretty happy with the Henry .357, though it could have been a Marlin and I might have liked that as well.
    I've managed to buy levers in .22, .38/.357, .30-30, .45-70, but my favorite to shoot is the .22 magnum Henry.

It is swift at acquisition and stings pretty hard. I'd love to take it varmint shooting.
    Lotta groundhogs and squirrels and possum in the hills here. Crows galore.

Tube mag, but in California it gets you out of the 10-rnd mag issue a little. I think it holds 15, while the Henry .22 holds 16.
    One in the chamber...
    meanstreak and Djcala like this.
  4. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

I would be uncontrollable happy if a Henry 22mag was to find its way into my collection.
    meanstreak and nitesite like this.
  5. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Ditto on the Henry .22 mag. Maybe one of these days.
    nitesite and Djcala like this.
  6. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

I have more FUN with a lever than any other type of rifle or pistol.
    meanstreak and Djcala like this.
  7. Ernst

Ernst .270 WIN Supporter "Philanthropist"

Lever guns are my favorites. Pre 64 Winchesters and JM Marlins are getting harder to find and command prices sometimes higher than brand new models. If I could only have one gun (heaven forbid) it would be a 1895 JM Marlin in 45-70. Old cartridge but can do about everything a hunter needs!

Regards
    nitesite, Djcala and meanstreak like this.
  8. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Imagine three bad people trying to break into your house. Your only weapon, a lever 45-70 is by your bed with one in the chamber. The three bad people art trying to get through your door, conveniently lined up one behind the other as you take aim...
    Djcala likes this.
  9. Ernst

Meanstreak, you reminded me of my brother's hunting experience years ago. He was deer hunting and shot a good sized buck. It fell immediately and when he got to it found two dead deer. The 45-70 round passed through the first one and killed the second one. Shot was from about 250 yards. Don't remember the bullet weight but think it was 300 grain, light weight for 45-70.

Quite a hunting experience! 45-70 is can be loaded with everything from 300 to around 535 grain bullets. Not much on this earth it can't kill.

Regards
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Djcala and meanstreak like this.
  10. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Just based on the range time, I have a very healthy respect for the Marlin .45-70; and yet it does not seem to kick as hard as I expected.

I haven’t tried to load any 500 grain bullets yet, so that may change.
    Djcala and meanstreak like this.
  11. Ernst

CaddmannQ, agree with you on "mildness" of 45-70 Marlin. However you should try the "wild child" .450 Marlin 1895M in guide gun 18.5 inches and with a ported barrel. It will get your attention. The .450 Marlin cartridge is a belted version of the .458x2 wildcat. Marlin made these guns between 2000 and 2009 mainly in response to the needs of Alaskan guides. Remains a great gun to carry on bush planes and horses or when backpacking in the woods.

Like other original JM models these are getting harder to find but worth the hunt.

Regards
    nitesite, CaddmannQ and meanstreak like this.
  12. Frogdog

Frogdog .410

I have an "Original Golden-39M" as stamped on the side of the barrel. It was bought new by my Dad in the 1978-ish time frame when he gave it to me brand new. Before Remington had anything to do with it. Nice gun in great shape. Don't know why Marlin quit making them. I wish somebody would buy it......after I determine what it's worth TO ME.
  13. schotzfyred

schotzfyred .410

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    meanstreak and nitesite like this.
  14. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

meanstreak likes this.
  15. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

(Checks bank balance . . . :read:)
    meanstreak likes this.
  16. Daryll

Daryll .270 WIN Supporter

ok, here you go.. sorry its taken so long.. IMG_20200726_122315049.jpg :)
  17. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

This is why I bought all of my guns brand new or nearly new, with some very notable (and inexpensive) exceptions. It was just prohibitively expensive to find any thing like a Garand or a 1950s Winchester around here. Also I was in a hurry to buy, because I knew that the peoples Republic of California was about to close the gates on importing Firearms.

I can honestly tell you that I never thought the communists would get this close to destroying everything in the American Constitution. not anywhere close to what we’re seeing now. Oh I knew that they would try, and try, but I didn’t think their feeble attempts would ever amount to much.

We really have gone through the Looking Glass here and I could not be more happy about my decision to invest money in shooting iron and lead rather than gold and silver.

After all, didn’t every kid in America see the Twilight zone!? Didn’t everybody read 1984 in high school? Doesn’t everyone cheer the collapse of Soviet communism?

Clearly no, no and no. I am living in the past.

Once I used to join in,
    every boy and girl was my friend.
    Now there’s revolution,
    but they don’t know what comes after . . .
    Jethro Tull from Living in the Past
    meanstreak and S.R. Crawford like this.
  18. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

Nice of the Queen to let you store those for her. ;) You're not going to have constables kicking down your door now, are you? :eek:

Someone at another forum got a Henry .22 (which I also have) and talk went to big loops and how I sort of desired one because they were "cool" looking. :) Here are pics from that conversation and the TV shows were "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "The Rifleman" from the late 1950s/early 60s. :) PS: the Henry big loop lever is about $50...

henrylever.JPG
    levertext.JPG
    14549stevemcqueen.jpg
    614230d53a55f11274e226f3e5ce907c.jpg
    gun-rifleman.jpg
    meanstreak likes this.
  19. Daryll

Daryll .270 WIN Supporter

I hope not... They're reasonably happy for me to keep those, and the other 10 or so firearms...

Bearing in mind I used to carry a rifle in the Queens name, least she can do is let me keep some of my own.. :D
    meanstreak and Bobster like this.
  20. S.R. Crawford

S.R. Crawford .410

I graduated high school in 2018, 1984 was never assigned reading. It showed up on a few lists of books to choose for a project, but very few people ended up reading it. The closest we got was A Brave New World which isn't exactly on the same level and certainly doesn't make the same point. Most assigned reading was on social issues and what have you.

Communism was presented as "just an alternative." Not good, not bad, an alternative. Capitalism was often portrayed in a negative light. In most classes the Cold War was covered briefly at best, and I recall in one class having to debate whether or not the US won and which side was more justified. The CCCP ended up being the "victim" in a lot of cases.

My junior year took a turn for the better, the only conservative teacher on campus taught 11th grade US History. Martin Navaroli, phenomenal guy and did a phenomenal job. Covered everything in great detail and left no stone unturned, especially WWII and the Cold War. I directly credit him and Dennis Prager for turning me conservative after I graduated and he didn't have to so much as twist a single fact.

Now of course we have the 1619 Project, and within only a few years college-age kids are rioting in the streets.
    meanstreak and Bobster like this.