1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Lever Guns

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by DaveinCT, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

They sound nice , I love the williams sights have then on several guns here also. id love to find a deal on a lever in .357/38.
    Psst no pics its just cake no icing, biscuits without gravy :punish:
  2. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I had to give up hunting when the government turned it from a sport to a chore, like 50 years ago.
    Many times before the age of 21 I was hunting in the wilderness without paper. Seasons? Eeeh...
    Nowadays, all my guns are all range toys (until the Godforsaken day I may have to use them for protection.)
    It's looking more possible. Lots of range time will pay off, if it comes to that.
    They also reflect an investment, and I am pleased with how that's going.
    There's a large variety of range toys I would have purchased, had I more foresight.
    meanstreak likes this.
  3. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I am pretty happy with the Henry .357, though it could have been a Marlin and I might have liked that as well.
    I've managed to buy levers in .22, .38/.357, .30-30, .45-70, but my favorite to shoot is the .22 magnum Henry.

It is swift at acquisition and stings pretty hard. I'd love to take it varmint shooting.
    Lotta groundhogs and squirrels and possum in the hills here. Crows galore.

Tube mag, but in California it gets you out of the 10-rnd mag issue a little. I think it holds 15, while the Henry .22 holds 16.
    One in the chamber...
    meanstreak and Djcala like this.
  4. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

I would be uncontrollable happy if a Henry 22mag was to find its way into my collection.
    nitesite likes this.
  5. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Ditto on the Henry .22 mag. Maybe one of these days.
    nitesite and Djcala like this.
  6. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

I have more FUN with a lever than any other type of rifle or pistol.
    meanstreak and Djcala like this.
  7. Ernst

Ernst .270 WIN Supporter "Philanthropist"

Lever guns are my favorites. Pre 64 Winchesters and JM Marlins are getting harder to find and command prices sometimes higher than brand new models. If I could only have one gun (heaven forbid) it would be a 1895 JM Marlin in 45-70. Old cartridge but can do about everything a hunter needs!

Regards
    Djcala and meanstreak like this.
  8. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Imagine three bad people trying to break into your house. Your only weapon, a lever 45-70 is by your bed with one in the chamber. The three bad people art trying to get through your door, conveniently lined up one behind the other as you take aim...
    Djcala likes this.
  9. Ernst

Meanstreak, you reminded me of my brother's hunting experience years ago. He was deer hunting and shot a good sized buck. It fell immediately and when he got to it found two dead deer. The 45-70 round passed through the first one and killed the second one. Shot was from about 250 yards. Don't remember the bullet weight but think it was 300 grain, light weight for 45-70.

Quite a hunting experience! 45-70 is can be loaded with everything from 300 to around 535 grain bullets. Not much on this earth it can't kill.

Regards
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  10. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Just based on the range time, I have a very healthy respect for the Marlin .45-70; and yet it does not seem to kick as hard as I expected.

I haven’t tried to load any 500 grain bullets yet, so that may change.
  11. Ernst

CaddmannQ, agree with you on "mildness" of 45-70 Marlin. However you should try the "wild child" .450 Marlin 1895M in guide gun 18.5 inches and with a ported barrel. It will get your attention. The .450 Marlin cartridge is a belted version of the .458x2 wildcat. Marlin made these guns between 2000 and 2009 mainly in response to the needs of Alaskan guides. Remains a great gun to carry on bush planes and horses or when backpacking in the woods.

Like other original JM models these are getting harder to find but worth the hunt.

Regards
    nitesite, CaddmannQ and meanstreak like this.