• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lights and Lasers question

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Well a little early, but my wife has her Ruger SR22PB, and has mentioned she'd like a laser for it. Crimson Trace has one that Ruger recommends, but not being laser savvy I'd like some opinions and/or alternative recommendations. Thanks. :)

I don't personally like lasers. I would be more likely to need a small weapon light so I could identify a target at night.

And plus, most weapon lights are so tightly focused, that the term "if it's lit, it's hit" come into being.

Also, red lasers do not work very well in daylight either. You can see green lasers better in bright light, but the main reason why I don't like a laser is they must be zero'd like a scope. Meaning that at different distances, the bullet will not strike where the laser is pointing.

If you zero it for 30 feet for instance, that's the only distance where it is going to be actually zero'd for. Shoot at 8 feet, and the bullet will not hit where the laser is shining.

crimson trace is one of the best laser companies and i would definitely trust them. lasermax is one of their direct competitors that is usually alittle cheaper. im looking at getting a ruger LCP in the future as a carry gun and i am definitely getting the crimson trace for it.

some people find lasers to be gimmicky, but they are not. they are tools for helping for faster target acquiring. but like most things electrical they have potential to fail. you can use the laser to assist in acquiring a target but do not grow to rely only on the laser. lasers are also great tools for learning about making sure you dont point the gun at anything you arent attending it to be pointed at. and it can also assist in trigger discipline. if you use the laser with either snap caps or dry firing, you can better understand how much you move off target when pulling the trigger so you can correct it. a laser can be a great tool.

Most of my observations for small handguns have been the Crimson Trace ones. They seem well made and work well.

I don't have one. If I wanted one, that company would be at the top of the list.

John A. said:
I don't personally like lasers. I would be more likely to need a small weapon light so I could identify a target at night.

And plus, most weapon lights are so tightly focused, that the term "if it's lit, it's hit" come into being.

Also, red lasers do not work very well in daylight either. You can see green lasers better in bright light, but the main reason why I don't like a laser is they must be zero'd like a scope. Meaning that at different distances, the bullet will not strike where the laser is pointing.

If you zero it for 30 feet for instance, that's the only distance where it is going to be actually zero'd for. Shoot at 8 feet, and the bullet will not hit where the laser is shining.

You're right about the red vs green lasers. Green is much brighter but way more expensive. That being said, Crimson Trace grip lasers are very closely aligned to the barrel. It is only off the side by a small amount. Yes, if sighted at 30' it may be off at 8' but by how much? A small fraction I believe. Most of that will be trajectory which you would need to compensate for anyway. In a HD or self defense situation, being able to quickly get on target via the laser may be more critical for the first round than worrying about being off a few inches. Especially for a significant other that may not have a lot of shooting experience. Hit it with the laser and tap-tap-tap...then get the hell out of there.

Back