1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.
  1. Seekingsummits

Seekingsummits Copper BB

Picked up this used 590. Mfr date is May of 95 I think. It was only loading 5 shells so I took it apart expecting to see a wooden dowel but there was this plastic one attached to the spring. Anyone familiar w this model and is it safe to say I can remove this plastic rod? Thanks
    Adam

Attached Files:

meanstreak likes this.
  2. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

That doesn't look like your typical hunting limiting dowel which would be longer to limit mag cap to 2. It might be some kind of spring "guide" to prevent the spring from folding over/collapsing. Keeps it somewhat coiled...

You could try trimming off a half-inch at a time to see if that could help you load more? I'm sure someone else will be by to give more definitive input. :) PS: try CAREFULLY pushing the spring onto it to see how it stacks up...

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)
  3. Seekingsummits

Seekingsummits Copper BB

Thanks!
    meanstreak likes this.
  4. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Welcome to the forum. Someone should be along that owns that model and can help.
  5. Seekingsummits

Seekingsummits Copper BB

Actually had a min today in between work calls so I called Mossberg. They said when this shotty was made, thats the way they were doing the plugs and by attaching to the spring supposedly it helped with rattling. I popped it off and am able to get 7+1 now which for this yr and set up in the proper qty for 2.75 shells. Hoping to be able to get out this weekend and try it out for the first time. Thanks again all
    meanstreak, old mossy and Bobster like this.
  6. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Welcome and thank you for the followup. Never saw that setup before.
    meanstreak likes this.
  7. fellmann

fellmann Esoteric Supporter

I have such a plastic rod. Its attached to a metal cup at the end of the mag tube with a screw.
    meanstreak likes this.