• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lining the gun case

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
20160130_020428.jpg I bought this monster gun case a while back & decided that plain grey foam rubber was too dull and fragile without some kind of lining. I'd been making do with little towels, but I finally decided to line this thing with cloth.

I can sew, but close inspection of my work will show me to be no professional upholsterer.

The plaid came out skewed on one end. I added a fake pleat, where I had to cover a flaw in my work. LOL

The covered buttons are nice, but the backup buttons are whatever I could scrounge, since you can't see them.

A bit of this was done on my wife's Singer, But 80% Is Sewn By hand, Right Over The foam.

The case holds two rifles but only one may have a scope.

My Mossbergs, 353T & 464:
20160130_020957-1.jpg
Henry .357 & .22 Savage:
20160130_020734-1.jpg

The Henry .357m &.22lr
20160130_020845-1.jpg

*YAWN*... A very late night. I forgot a pic of the Varminter.

G' Nite

Last edited:
Thanks Sniper.

I think this was maybe more of an excused to show off the rifles than the flannel.

:rolleyes:

Oooh! Snazzy dude. That is a splendid idea....splendid indeed.
I have an old case that needs this. Thanks for the idea!!

Yes but I haven't thought about it much. I'm thinking about pistol pockets. Maybe impractical.

Hmm....would you need to add a layer of protection between them? When you close the lid would they touch?

Location, location, location.
:D

I think the lid might be too heavy to stay open.

I need more fabric first.

Thank you both.
I did get more fabric and buttons for the lid, but I have to rest my tiny needle-pricked fingers before I sew it in.
:rolleyes:
I'm guessing there's over 5000 hand stitches based on my final attachment of the outer bolsters, which were only buttoned before.
Now they're sewed all around to the base. Plus I made some fillers to position the barrels better, but those I made on the machine.

This is way more work than I signed on for.
I need to quit dinkin' around with this sewing and get back to fixing my motorcycle, but the RAIN!.
It kinda throws me off my feed after so many years of drought.

I finished lining the rifle case last night. I pulled the foam off the lid, glued it to doubled extra heavy cardboard, covered it, buttoned it up, and glued it all back onto the lid.

I should have flipped that waffle-foam over. My lid looks lumpy.

I'll tighten it up a bit by steaming, which should help. I may add some more thin foam and recover it.

I may also just say screw it and go shooting.

case lid.jpg

Thank you Meanie.

I think it started when my dad bought me my first Erector Set. I've been putting things together ever since and I've always enjoyed it.

My mom looks at it differently however. She told me I'm never satisfied and I can simply never leave anything alone.

And she's right, because there's hardly a thing on this Earth that couldn't use Improvement of some kind.

Whether my ministrations constitute improvements or not, however, is open to debate.:rolleyes:

Now if I could clear my schedule a little bit and get the motorcycle on the road before Fall hits I'll be very happy.

Last edited:
OMG, I remember the erector set. I had one of those, must have been 60 years ago. It's legos or video for the kids these days.

I have been a little luckier with my kids. They both tell me it was my influence.

'Scuse me while I puff up my chest a bit. :D

Back