• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Lone Wolf range report

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I was supposed to go shooting with my buddy Bobby Sunday but he canceled at the last minute and I wound up having to shoot alone. Sort of.

Three different groups were having events at the Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club and all 8 ranges were fairly packed.

2 public shooting ranges, the members-only rifle and pistol range, a public shotgun range, the KRR Cowboy S.A. Shooters action course, LEO + pistol club tactical course, the trap shooting range, the black powder range, and the high power shooting range.

I took three rifles and pistols to the members-only range.

I shot the .22 caliber Henry lever action carbine, the .357 magnum Henry lever-action carbine, the custom AR-15 Carbine, the Cimarron Evil Roy .357 Magnum single action revolver, and the 9mm Springfield XDs-9 semi-auto pistol.

The first chart you see is rapid fire at 5 yards, shooting the Evil Roy .357 revolver, Winchester SUPER-X white box 128 grain FMJ. I put 4 in the body and two in the head. Well actually I shot out his wisdom teeth. But two of those .357 shots were right through the spine and would have caused instant collapse.
20160718_005917.jpg
(The tiny .22 caliber holes are from sighting in a new scope on the Henry Lever Action 22.)

Here's the Henry .22 caliber, 25 yards, rapid fire, Gold Medal ammo.

20160718_010656.jpg
The wind must have come down a bit as I shot this because it was gusty on and off all day but this pattern came off straight up and down.

This was the AR-15, slow fire at 100 yards. Remington .223 55 grain Full Metal Jacket premium factory loads. I Shot the middle group first then clockwise around the perimeter starting from the upper left-hand corner. I did poorly but I got to the bull's-eye a few times.
20160717_095430.jpg
On the 5th Target I finally just blew off a bunch of ammunition as fast as I could acquire the Red Dot. I tried to shoot fast but not so fast that I'd get busted for too-rapid fire.

This was the 22 Henry Lever lever gun, slow fire, 6 shots with 2 in the x, at 50 yards.

I'm shooting Federal Gold Medal premium target ammo, 40 gr. (It's a 50-yard slow fire pistol Target.)
20160718_010403.jpg

This is my best group of the day. 3 shots from the Henry Lever Action 22 caliber from 25 yards, shooting Federal Gold Medal 40 gr.
20160718_005735.jpg

Our range has a rule against Full Auto fire or real rapid fire, and typically the limit is one round per second, except for double taps with a pistol.

When I say rapid fire on a Target what I mean is I fired as quickly as I could acquire the bullseye each time.

Some shots had taken a half-second or less, some took 2 seconds. I sighted each shot rapidly and did not just machine gun the target.

I think the Henry .22 did a marvelous job.

The other guns all ran well and in the end I spent 4 hours and blew off 100 rounds of .22 cal, 50 rounds of 9 millimeter, 20 rounds of .38 Special, 70 rounds of .357 Magnum, and 50 rounds of .223 Remington.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I bent the bolt latch on the AR for the fourth time.

Have you replaced the bolt catch yet?

No. Just straightened it again.

I have a replacement but I'm just too involved in other stuff recently.

Maybe I can get it on tonight.

Well I changed that bolt catch last night, and it works a little smoother, but it doesn't seem any sturdier.

I'll go shoot it tomorrow and see what happens. I'm concerned that there may be a defect in the receiver that has slightly mispositioned that part, causing it to get whacked.

I think I'm going to trade this AR in on a target gun. I'm just not feeling the love here.

yeah, sorry to say you weren't set up for a love affair because of the rifle kinda sucks. I would trade it too.
one day you will get or shoot a proper AR15 and then you will see the light ......or not.
Some folks just don't want or need the black gun , but a crappy one will leave a bad taste in your mouth for all of them

Except for that one flaw it seems to shoot quite well.

But I sure wish I'd bought a longer Barrel. Remember I'm just target shooting.

I went shootin today, but did not take the AR. I was more interested in shooting the .357's and the shotgun.

Well I changed that bolt catch last night, and it works a little smoother, but it doesn't seem any sturdier.

I'll go shoot it tomorrow and see what happens. I'm concerned that there may be a defect in the receiver that has slightly mispositioned that part, causing it to get whacked.

I think I'm going to trade this AR in on a target gun. I'm just not feeling the love here.

Just wondering Cadd, what AR do you have?

It's made from parts.

It has a Stoner upper, STS lower, stag butt, colt mags, leupold scope, various other generic bits.

yeah, sorry to say you weren't set up for a love affair because of the rifle kinda sucks. I would trade it too.
one day you will get or shoot a proper AR15 and then you will see the light ......or not.
Some folks just don't want or need the black gun , but a crappy one will leave a bad taste in your mouth for all of them

I've shot a few of these now, in 5.56 nato and 6.5 grendel. This one functions about the same except for that catch.

We'll see if the new one is an improvement.

It's made from parts.

It has a Stoner upper, STS lower, stag butt, colt mags, leupold scope, various other generic bits.

I went through and reread the post and finally saw the mention of a custom ar. Did you build it or have it built? Too bad it is not what you want. I was considering a Mossberg MMR but I don't want to have problems like I am having with the 464.

However, I am to the point now that I am not convinced the rifle is junk, or even bad. I know it is not the shooter all the time. But, though there may be some design problems that make the gun heat sensitive, I believe more than anything it is just extremely finicky. One day it shoots great, next time out not so good with the same loads. I think it just needs to be broke in.

It was built by a friend. I bought it back when I thought everyone in the world needed an AR.

I've shot a few of these now, in 5.56 nato and 6.5 grendel. This one functions about the same except for that catch.

We'll see if the new one is an improvement.
nevermind dude.......just sell it and buy some 30-30 ammo

I think as a carbine I like .30-30 better, but in a real rifle, the .223 just flies

I'm leaning more to a .223 target gun, but. Oli, I will never shoot well enough, even off the bench, that a better .223 will matter that much.

BTW I thought I'd shoot better off the bipod than sandbags but not at all. I had 2 to 3x as many fliers.

I did buy more .30-'30 ammo. It's not super accurate, and not cheap either, but that stuff is just fun to shoot.

If I just changed the .223 buttstock and put a 22" barrel on it I might like it a lot more.

Getting a solid cheek weld with the Stag Arms butt is near to impossible for me. And I need to ditch the bipod.

Also the.CQB type scope is too small as well. It's 4x limit is only suitable for .22s at over 50 yds.

Swap for an A2 stock, and rifle length, Wylde chambered H-bar barrel. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Wylde ammo? Maybe....
What do we need? New dies ? Special powder?

We just reshape the .223 cases right?

/\ that's the short sweet description. I'm not going to try and get on a stump, and say it's the best. I'm sure any good reloader could make tack driving rounds for 5.56. The chamberings are common, fairly easy to find, and I like to hedge my bets though.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Back