• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking at guns

amkeeney

Copper BB
Well I'll start off by saying hello. I am looking for a self defense gun but would really love to do some hunting as well. As far as for self defense I really have loved the pump action shotgun in the stores such as the 500 and 510. However, I read an interesting article online that suggested a pump action shotgun although it may scare some people away it may only give away your position to the intruder who may also be armed. What is everyone's thoughts on this? BTW the part I loved the most is when I pumped it and the big burly guy behind me jumped out of his skin..hehe.
Also I live in close quarters with small children and am quite concerned with harming them in the process of stopping an intruder. I am a nurse so I make absolutely no distinction between stopping an intruder and killing them. I only intend to ever shoot if it means that I also take the responsibility of killing them to protect myself or my family.
I'm looking at doing some turkey hunting and also would love to hunt whitetail deer. I understand I am going to need several weapons but if there are any guns that could double such as for hunting turkey and also for home defense please let me know. The guys in the store seemed to think I could do both with the shotgun they were showing me but from what I am reading on the forums they could have just been trying to make the sale.

The Mossberg 500 12 gauge will do everything you want to do with just a couple of different barrels. I have a 500 that I bought with a 28" barrel that accepts removable chokes. A few years later I bought a 18-1/2" barrel for defensive use. I can hunt birds, turkey, deer, shoot clays, and defend myself and my family with the one gun.

As far as the big racka sound scaring away intruders: my personal opinion is that it might work but if it doesn't you have just given the turd your position and the fact that you are armed. If he is a determined offender who isn't scared of people with guns, if he's got his own gun, if he was there to kill or maim anyway, if a whole lot of other things, you have given up part of the edge that you may have had in the first place. The sound may scare away most people that are just in your house to steal your tv. It likely will not scare away a deranged psychopath, a dope fiend, a drunk, an experienced violent felon who has been shot or shot at before. Do you know for sure who has broken into your home? The selection of a firearm to investigate a bump in the night should mean that you have already decided that deadly force is an option. Intimidation should not be part of your plan. If you rely on intimidation it may very well mean that when it fails to work you will hesitate when you should not.

Before all the cops jump in and say "when I was on the street that sound was all it took to quell riots". I know that to be true. It's a whole different thing being a uniformed officer with a car full of blinky lights, a radio, a vest, backup on the way or already there, a batman utility belt full of crap with which to thump thugs, etc. Also, turds may assume that if you're the fuzz you are trained and ready to use whatever force is necessary to solve your problem. When someone breaks into your home and you rack your shotgun he may assume that you are a Recondeltasealrangerninja with a family of trained tier one operators ready to deal out death to anyone foolish enough to violate the sanctity of their home. He may think you're a 90 year old woman with her husbands 20 gauge bird gun full of rock salt who is hoping you'll run. He may be a real life BMF who has been in more gunfights than you can count on both hands and both feet that was hoping you'd let him know where you were so he could open a can of whoopass on you. Do you want to guess who it is?

I agree with Johnny here. A 500 will do all you need. I'm actually goin out for some bird with mine tomorrow. I also agree about the "shook-shook" noise. Dont draw it if arent willing to use it. Do it like the Boy-Scouts, always be prepared.

Welcome to the board, youre in good company!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners forum. We are glad to have you as part of our growing community! Keep on posting and reading till all your questions are answered!

sjohnny said:
As far as the big racka sound scaring away intruders: my personal opinion is that it might work but if it doesn't you have just given the turd your position and the fact that you are armed. If he is a determined offender who isn't scared of people with guns, if he's got his own gun, if he was there to kill or maim anyway, if a whole lot of other things, you have given up part of the edge that you may have had in the first place. The sound may scare away most people that are just in your house to steal your tv. It likely will not scare away a deranged psychopath, a dope fiend, a drunk, an experienced violent felon who has been shot or shot at before Intimidation should not be part of your plan. If you rely on intimidation it may very well mean that when it fails to work you will hesitate when you should not.(trying to quote but not working to only quote a portion of it)

Thank you for your response. I have decided not to start out with a shotgun but will go with a handgun first. Later will come the rifles and shotguns. I believe the Mossberg 500 will be my first shotgun, but first I am going to break in a handgun and get my husband to be comfortable with me owning a gun and my handling of it. Basically my goal is to out shoot him and laugh :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

I'll chime in with a couple thoughts.

1. A handgun is relatively more difficult to shoot accurately than a long gun.
2. A long gun is unweildy for home defense.
3. Until you've fired a gun, you have no idea whether or not you will be able to acquire the skill to shoot it well.
4. I would recommend visiting a range that rents a variety of guns. Shoot the guns you're considering buying. Take your husband with you when you go to the range to ward off the many "helpful" gentlemen who will want to give a lady a lot of advice and assistance. Alternatively, identify a male relative or friend who is an experienced shooter and take them with you.

Mudinyeri said:
Welcome to the forum.

I'll chime in with a couple thoughts.

1. A handgun is relatively more difficult to shoot accurately than a long gun.
2. A long gun is unweildy for home defense.
3. Until you've fired a gun, you have no idea whether or not you will be able to acquire the skill to shoot it well.
4. I would recommend visiting a range that rents a variety of guns. Shoot the guns you're considering buying. Take your husband with you when you go to the range to ward off the many "helpful" gentlemen who will want to give a lady a lot of advice and assistance. Alternatively, identify a male relative or friend who is an experienced shooter and take them with you.
Excellent Points!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners forum. We are glad to have you as part of our growing community!

Back