• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking For A Replacement Follower......

......For my Blackwater SPX. Don't have any feeding problems, gun shoots & cycles well, but sometimes when loading, the first five will go in ok, and there's times when I have to play around with the last two to get them load. I suspect the stock follower is intermittently hanging up on the mag tube/extension junction. Already trimmed a couple of inches from the stock spring.

Been looking at the GG&G -
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...h-red-high-visibility-insert?cm_vc=subv716584

- The HFD2 mentioned in a recent thread here -
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/hfd2-workhorse-active-follower.13490/

The PTG -
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...r-mossberg-12-gauge-aluminum?cm_vc=subv772300

Dave's Metal Works -
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/91...llower-12-gauge-aluminum-red?cm_vc=subv911891

I hear the Nordic Components Low Drag Teflon coated will decrease the mag capacity.

Any advice from you seasoned SPX veterans? What would Jerry Miculek use? :)

I have the GG&G and like it very much. It does lead to an occasional humorous conversation:

Observer: You've still got a round in the mag tube!
Me: What makes you say that?
Observer: I saw red!
Me: If there was a round in there, you would only see brass.
Observer: Oh.

(At least they mean well.)

Took my Blackie to the range today, shot a few boxes of target loads and killed some clays. Took it home, pulled it apart and cleaned it and I noticed what the problem could be in loading a full mag tube.......as I suspected. There is a very slight step in the Choate Mag Extension just above where the threads start. After examining some blown up pics of the previously mentioned followers, methinks that the one with most rounded, beveled edges would be the way to go. From what I can see, that appears to be the GG&G. So I ordered one from Midway. If that doesn't do the job, maybe I'll carefully polish the inside of the mag extension where that step occurs. The worst that can happen is that I wind up with an extra follower.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! :)

Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers on that one, WM, hope the GG&G doesn't cause me to lose any capacity. But since the symptom I'm trying to correct is a loading problem rather than a feeding problem, I'm looking for a follower that has the rounded, beveled edges on both the shell side and the spring side. The GG&G seems to fit that description. Should have it within a week, I'll post on the results whether it solves the problem or not......

Turning the mossy into a 5 shot sounds like a bind at the mag tube extension. That's what was happening to me with a low end follower. If there is any kind of gap between the extension and the tube mixed with any sharp edges on your follower, there is a chance it will grab and stick there. If you do get it past that joint it can bind at the joint while feeding shells and you will lose all spring pressure. Tapping the gun usually releases pressure but sometimes you need to unscrew the extension. This happens especially if the spring is too long causing the follower to cant. From every thing I read the tailed follower prevents canting but takes shell space.

The Workhorse follower helped me personally get past this issue but it's very new and untested. In theory it sounds awesome and that's what sold me. The tail prevents spring kink but collapses giving room for that last shell.

Last edited:
Kudos to Midway - ordered my GG&G follower on Wednesday, it arrived today (Saturday). AND ........switched out the factory follower with the new GG&G, and voila! My loading problem appears to be history! :D Loaded and reloaded the mag tube with seven rounds repeatedly and now it's as smooth as silk, and they all fit to capacity. Now the true test is the next time I bring it to the range and make sure it feeds as well as it loads.........I'm sure it will, never had a problem with feeding only loading.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.........another problem solved with a little help from the forum! :cool:

Back