• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking for info about CFE223

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
About to make a powder order, and am curious about the Hogdon CFE 223 powder.

Velocities look pretty good, supposed to be pretty clean burning.

Just wondering if anyone here has used it and if you have, what your opinion is about it.

If I recall I think I tried CFE223 after Oli's posts. Varget was hard to get after one of the mass shootings but CFE223 was around. I don't have the equipment to measure velocities so I can't coment on that. It was noticeably cleaner in both the AR and Mini14 especially compared to purchased ammo. I have used it in both 5.56 and .308. The .308 was used in both bolt action and semi auto. I give it a thumbs up and it's a regular I try to keep on hand. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies.

I've not loaded for 308 yet. Despite having a fal. It's one of the last cartridges/dies that I have that I don't have dies for. That will change, but not yet.

I would like to try some subsonic 308 though. That would be pretty fun ;)

I just got the new Hodgdon annual manual, and they cover that plus their new "blackout" powder.

Didn't read it yet though. Just the load data for my .223.

I see CFE on shelves here all the time now. Powder availability is great these days, after 6-7 years of drought. I might have to get a bottle and try it.

I'm not going to be using the cfe blackout.

I have a few friends at another forum who got a bottle to try and it's not for me. It would probably be alright for anyone loading supers, but for all intents and purposes, it's pretty poor for subs.

Now, 223 on the other hand, I would probably use it. But that's a whole different use altogether.

I just looked through the new Hodgdon 2017 catalog & they tested several .308 friendly powders. They chose CFE 223 over Varget and several other IMR powders for match loads in the 308 Winchester.

CFR223 Turned in the highest AVERAGE velocities, in both guns tried, and testing many different bullets from Sierra, Federal, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes and HPR. It edged out Varget by 0.08" for the average group accuracy at 100 yards.

Top accuracy in the semi-auto AR-10 style gun was with Varget and the 175 grain Sierra matchking.

Top accuracy with the Savage Model 12 was IMR 4166 and the Sierra 168 grain match King.

I am really Jazzed that they chose the Savage Model 12 low profile varminter for their test. :)

Last edited:
Back