• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking into getting into trap shooting.......

Trapshooting Shell Holder........ Vest or Pouch

• Pouch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the Above (pocket, fanny pack, carpenter's apron, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diggs392

.22LR
Hello to all. I have recently moved to Virginia, and have found out that the gun range about 30 minutes or so from my location holds ATA "registered" tournaments once a month from April - October (with the exception of June or July.. can't remember which one it is as of right now... for the State Shoot). I used to shoot some trap when I was younger.... nothing formal, just went out for the fun of it with my father when he had a membership to the gun club up in Jersey. First off, I am just planning to start out with singles (and maybe some of the "handicapping" events), as I only have my 500 as of right now. I did see that there are rules within ATA (Amateur Trapshooting Association) that states that there is to be no ejection of the shells that may disrupt the shooter next to you. Even if this was not a rule, I would want to do something anyways from an ettiquette stand point. I have been looking online and have seen that there are not any "factory" shell catchers for my gun, but did come across the Birchwood-Casey one that atattches to your gun with double-sided tape and the little wire "arm"-like thing that flips up over the ejector port. I have seen this one going on Amazon for about 15 - 16 bucks, and was wondering if this would work on my 500. Also; as a "newbie" to the "official" shoots, what should I get to help hold my shells while on the post. I have been comparing vests and pouches, and leaning more towards the pouches from a cost point perspective (never realized how expensive shooting vests could get, lol) I am looking for something that I could hold both unfired shells as well as used hulls (want to save the hulls to use later... not to reload, but my fiance and I have a side "craft" business making jewelry, and I have been using the brass from the shells in some of my creations). Any other advice for a newbie into the competitive shooting world would be greatly appreciated.

I don't shoot much trap but I don't think you will need the shell catcher on a 500 as you can control the ejection of the shell. I've shot a lot of skeet with a pump gun and it's easy to catch the hull in your hand on those singles. The catchers are used on semi autos that throw the shells even on singles. (there may be exceptions I am not aware of but this has been my observation)

I always used a belt pouch to hold my rounds. I had a homemade one with a divider for new rounds and spent hulls. A lot of people wear vests, it's kind of personal preference.

We usually just let the hulls land on the ground and pick them up when we're through.

But again, is on private property and just to be perfectly honest, I have never been to a public range. From some of the horror stories I have heard, I probably wouldn't like it too much.

But when me and my sons/family shoot, we usually shoot singles too. Mostly just so everyone gets to shoot at something rather than half of the clays landing and busting due to miss(es)

@rdm76mav88 - It's not out of the question but a brass catcher on a shotgun would be pretty bulky, not to mention the rail would hinder your sight picture as you really want to be down on the stock and looking down the barrel for this type of shooting.

My wife and I shoot ATA trap all over the place.
Not that I am an expert but I have a LOT of experience and a few trophies.

Shell catcher is not needed on a 500. As MikeD stated catching the ejected shell from a 500 is real easy.
I do it all the time when shooting Skeet and Hunting Pheasant.
Believe me with a little practice you will be able to do it no problem.

Vest or a pouch? I have both. On cooler days I wear the vest and on hot summer days I wear the pouch on a belt.
For a new shooter I would recommend a vest, They can be found for around $40.
Considering the cost of ammo and ATA fees to shoot and then the cost of options while shooting ATA, the vest is CHEAP.

If you ever have any questions on anything Trap please dont hesitate to ask.

I think you may be looking for a solution to a problem that does not really exist. The only reason my buddies use catchers is to help in policing their hulls. Hitting other shooters is not really an issue on most ranges unless you have some wildly ejecting gun. (at least per my limited experience on trap ranges)

I think you may be looking for a solution to a problem that does not really exist. The only reason my buddies use catchers is to help in policing their hulls. Hitting other shooters is not really an issue on most ranges unless you have some wildly ejecting gun. (at least per my limited experience on trap ranges)

Actually Mike when shooting, ATA shooters to the right will be pissed if a pump gun just ejects the shell in their direction.
Most shooters are preparing for their turn while the guy to the left is mounting his gun, once he shoots they mount their gun. So while they have their gun mounted and are about to call Pull, they dont want a hull from the guy on their left flying through the air or even hitting the ground. It is a distraction.

Actually Mike when shooting, ATA shooters to the right will be pissed if a pump gun just ejects the shell in their direction.
Most shooters are preparing for their turn while the guy to the left is mounting his gun, once he shoots they mount their gun. So while they have their gun mounted and are about to call Pull, they dont want a hull from the guy on their left flying through the air or even hitting the ground. It is a distraction.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I admit my experience beyond recreational shooting is limited, always good to learn new stuff. I was only thinking of the hulls actually hitting another shooter.

Thank you guys for the input. Hey LTB; I happened to ask this question on another gun forum, and was actually tol that I could possibly wait until the shooter to my immediate right was done taking his shot, then turn my gun slightly so that the ejector is pointing to the ground and slowly open the action so the spent shell more or less just "dribbles" out to the ground. By waiting until the next shooter, this motion would not be really picked up enough in the peripheral vision of that shooter (unless happened to be a lefty) thus making it less of a distraction. Does this sound correct to you?? Also; I can completely understand why you are suggesting a vest, but just getting started into more "serious" shoots, think I may just go with the pouch option. I am a bigger guy (5'10" and about 285 - 290 lbs) and most of the vests I have actually seen online do not come in bigger options for someone my size, and the ones that I have seen that do cost nearly as much as a few cases of shells.....lol. Starting out, and not sure if I will truly enjoy competitive trap shooting, I would much rather spend 15 - 20 bucks on a pouch that I could buy off Amazon or what not and spend the difference on shells. Speaking of shells..... I have seen Winchester Super X shells (#8 shot, 1oz., 2 3/4) At dicks sporting goods going at a "brick" of 100 for $28.00. would these shells be suitable for competition shoots. I owned my 500 for 2 hunting seasons now and have put about a box and a half of 7 1/2 shot dove hunting with no issues..... so I know they feed well in my gun.

If you can slowly open the action then you can put your right hand over the ejection port and catch the shell.
Believe me it is a very easy thing to do.
As for the vest or pouch, get what you like and will be comfortable for you to shoot in. I am a BIG guy and wear a 4x vest.
I actually have 2, a Cabelas vest that worked great but it has many club and ATA patches on it, so I replaced it with a Browning vest last year.
They are both 4x and did not cost me much more than $40 each.

As for shells, the Winchester shells they will work great for you.

On a side note, as you start shooting the 1000's of rounds required for consistent ATA scores, you may find that the 500 kicks quite a bit compared to the heavier, true Trap guns.
I started with a 500 as well but switched to an old 1100 trap model pretty early in my career. After shooting 2 of them to DEATH. I went with a BT-99 and never looked back.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the input. I do eventually want to upgrade to a "better" gun for trap once I truly find out whether or not trap shooting is my piece of cake, if you know what I mean...... can't justify paying upwards of a grand or more just to have the gun sitting in my cabinet if the sport is not truly for me. I am very happy to hear that those shells will work, since they seem to be what feeds through my 500 the best. As far as catching the shells upon ejection, what is the proper "technique" for doing so, do you just more or less hold your hand over the port as you slide the action open?? I could imagine it would be fairly easy, probably just over thinking it too much. Also; as I stated in my original post, my fiance and I make hand made jewelry, and my avatar is a picture of a pair of earrings I have made using the recycled shells....... Please tell me what you think of them. I am not using this to advertise, just want some input because they are not truly selling as I hoped they would. Maybe just trying to "market" to the wrong audiences... Thinking maybe if I "shoot" (no pun intended) more for the gun clubs and gun shows they will sell a little better. Do you think if I were to get in contact with the organizers of the shoots prior to the events, they will allow me to bring some of my inventory and sell it at these events?? My fiance has already said that she would man the table at the shoots this way I could focus more on my shooting and not worrying about the stuff walking off or having to stand there to wait on potential customers. Also; do you think if I were to talk to the organizers of the state shoots, or even get in contact with ATA as far as possibly being able to set up a table with them at the Grand American would be suitable venue for selling these items??

Maybe some dummy rounds this topic has been covered on MO with some good ideas I might add practice...practice...practice!

As far as the jewlery goes I was interested in getting my dog a collar with 12 guage medallion s if you will I found a couple of examples online but didnt like them that much!

"As far as catching the shells upon ejection, what is the proper "technique" for doing so, do you just more or less hold your hand over the port as you slide the action open?? "
Exactly!

"Do you think if I were to get in contact with the organizers of the shoots prior to the events, they will allow me to bring some of my inventory and sell it at these events?? "
At your local clubs ATA events, contact the Trap Chairman or the President of the club and ask permission to set up a table during the shoot. Remember though the smaller shoots may not have that many shooters there.

" possibly being able to set up a table with them at the Grand American would be suitable venue for selling these items??"
I have attended the Grand American. The Vendors use tents and they pay BIG BUCKS for their area during the shoot. Other Vendors/Stores are setup in permanent buildings on the property. These stores also pay rent and all but one of them is only open during very big shooting events. One gun store is the only year round resident there.

The earings are cool and all, but there are many people that make craft type items with spent Cartridges and Bullets.
I make Christmas lights and Christmas Wreaths with shells and my wife makes Angel ornaments out of them.
But I do reload so I really hate giving up perfectly good hulls for my creative side;)

Back