• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buckshot and Slugs wont cycle, birdshot no problem ??

Argus

Copper BB
Please advise this is making me nuts. I can shoot bird shot all day no issues, but if I try to shoot 00 buck 2 and 3/4 inch or Remington Sluggers 1 oz. 2 and 2/4 inch the slide wont slide back. I have to press the action button . Any advise would be appreciated

Argus, first and foremost welcome to the forum.

This video should be helpful in diagnosing the problem. If not, please provide additional details on the issue.

I'd recommend you try mixing the three types of shells and see if you still have the same issues.

Regards

Please advise this is making me nuts. I can shoot bird shot all day no issues, but if I try to shoot 00 buck 2 and 3/4 inch or Remington Sluggers 1 oz. 2 and 2/4 inch the slide wont slide back. I have to press the action button . Any advise would be appreciated
Thanks for the advice, will try a mix of shells, my range is closed till after deer rifle season here in PA , about 2 weeks.

Argus,
This is not normal and indicates something is up. Watch the video and try cycling your action watching for all the various interactions. No ammo in the gun please. Is the gun new or used? Have you disassembled it?

Yes I have disassembled it at least 4 times. I checked all the parts for burrs, nicks etc, There was a large gouge on the inside top of the receiver, I was able to light file and fine sand it down, I suspect the past owner got two shells in there and the brass pushed up against the top of the receiver. ,I dry fired it, all fine, I put bird shot in reloades 7.5 # cycles fine. Same day used buck shot , two cycled fine , last one it locked up, fired two more but concentrated on making sure I was putting forward pressure on the slide , those were fine. after that I polished all the parts with Fitz, cycled it at home all cycled fine, Saturday I was hunting, shot a slug at a deer, could not get slide to work until I pushed the release.

If it cycles birdshot it should cycle other loads. How bad is the gouge in the top of the receiver? There is a lot of cam action going on in the Mossberg 500 pump shotgun. If the gouge is significant it may be interfering with the movement of the bolt just enough to make things inconsistent. Your comment about putting concentrated forward pressure on the slide would probably help force the mechanism to behave normally.
Can you take a pic of the gouge in the receiver? Also make sure that the trigger assembly is all good. Especially the springs that interact/control the slide release lever. There are some good videos on YouTube to walk you thru it if you’re comfortable with doing it.

No offense and not to sound like a jerk but does this happen if anyone else shoots the gun? Sorry I do not know your skill level and have seem people short stroke under recoil and lock it back up.

If this is a new gun? I would clean it really good. I failed to do wo with my 930 and had a lot of problems with it cycling. They put a lot of grease in them and it can cause issues, esp. in colder weather.

As others have said, look everything over and if you cannot find anything else wrong have it looked at by a gunsmith.

No one else has shot it, however it has gone from bad to worse. Now it is locking up when I dry fire it. Not all the time , but this is new.
I spoke to a G Smith and he suggested there may be dirt or something small in the trigger housing.
A friend's son in law has a 500 , he suggested we put his trigger housing in my gun and see what happens. I think that is a good idea and the gunsmith agreed . Not sure when I can do that , hopefully after firearm season. I will keep you posted . Thanks for all the suggestions.

Argus,
If you want you can mail your trigger assembly to me and I’ll have a look at it. If it looks good I’ll put it into one of my Mossberg’s and test it out. Your call.

if you are interested PM me and we can set up a plan.

Definitely sounds like a mechanical issue. Keep us posted, Im curious as I have not heard of this before.

This may sound silly but if you have and spent hulls of the rounds that jam try trimming them to length lof the live shell. I fixed a guys blackace Shitgun seeing that technique. That gun will still not cycle soft hulled shells

Back