• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

low recoil rounds in a 930

Mine did have some TLC beforehand thanks to you guys. The one other thing I'll mention is that mine is the field / security combo and not the SPX.

The combos are great for low velocity ammo. Not sure if it's still the case, but the field and combo models used different weight springs in the gas system that seemed to allow a wider variety of ammo...

I went out gain today to shoot various types of Ammo, any day shooting beats a day at work. Quick recap is I installed the grey multi use (non Teflon coated) spacer tube. I rarely use low recoil shells but I do have them, I tend to save them for new shooters but My goal is to have a SPX that can function 100% without having to worry about any specific Ammo requirements. Before the aftermarket spacer tube my SPX was 80% reliable when running the slow 1150fps low recoil 00 buck, for a comparison the cheap 2-3/4" low brass Remington sport load 7 size shot flies at 1200fps and my SPX would eat those all day long with no problem.

I am happy to see 100% reliability and function and I haven't even done a serious cleaning on the gas piston beyond a simple wipe down with a cloth in over 600 shells. I have to believe living and shooting in the desert environment helps to minimize the headaches caused by corrosion issues on the magazine tube surface, my tube is still fairly smooth.

Low recoil 00 buck shells ejected 4-5 feet away. Sport loads ejected the shell a little farther about 6 feet away. All shells fired as fast as I could pull the trigger, it was a good day.

i'll stay away from the low recoil stuff....estate looks like it is pretty well received...gonna order a case and give it a try...certainly well priced...like to find a good case deal on the vital shock but not much out there and pricey for sure...likely to get more practice in with an affordable brand..just don't like junk-thanks folks-scott
I get good results with Estate. My only complaint is that it's very smokey. After the last round ejects and the bolt locks back, a cloud pours out of the chamber.

I did some function testing Wednesday with a new to me FN SLP Competition and brought along my 2014 SPX.

I was amazed that the SPX now easily cycles Nobel 2.75" 7/8 oz low recoil #8 and Win 2.75" Feather Weights 7/8 oz #8 loads

The only thing that has changed since my initial Sept 2014 test is the addition of a blue OR3GUN Marine Spacer Tube and firing about 500 rounds of various ammo.

Here are the Sept 2014 Results

Rem 3" Mag Slugs - No issues. Like a cannon. WOW, the recoil pad works!
Win Super X 2.75" Slugs - No issues
Fiocchi 2.75" Slugs - No issues
Fiocchi 2.75" 1 oz low Recoil Slugs - No issues. Whoopie, my new 3-Gun round
Win Super X 2.75" High Base #7.5 - No issues
Rem 2.75" 1290 FPS 1 oz #8 - No issues
Fed 2.75" 3 dram Walmart 1 1/8 oz #8 - No issues, my other new 3-Gun round
Nobel 2.75" 7/8 oz low recoil #8 - 25% failure to eject
Win 2.75" Feather Weights 7/8 oz #8 - 50% failure to eject

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/spx-range-report-09-14-2014.12532/#post-183297

What did you do with it? After market mods or otherwise?
I installed an SBE stainless steel piston, OR3GUN marine spacer tube, follower, plunger, and recoil spring retainer. The spring retainer has 2 settings, one is OE, and the other takes 20% of tension off the recoil spring, allowing for lighter loads. It runs like a dream now, down to 1100 fps.

I installed an SBE stainless steel piston, OR3GUN marine spacer tube, follower, plunger, and recoil spring retainer. The spring retainer has 2 settings, one is OE, and the other takes 20% of tension off the recoil spring, allowing for lighter loads. It runs like a dream now, down to 1100 fps.
Thanks for the follow up. So basically, you have a new 940! I’m glad it’s “running like a dream” as I’m currently where you were. The service guy I talked to at Mossberg said they couldn’t fix mine with 940 parts as those parts are dedicated to 940 production. Don’t know if that’s true or not but 3 weeks ago, that was the company line. Mine has no particular fps threshold. It’ll fail to feed 1290 Rem 0 buck and feed 1145 Fed LE 133 00 (8 pellet)fine. Then, turn right around and not feed 9 pellet 1145 Fed LE 132 00. So, saying I’m lost is indeed, an understatement. I added the MST and had no measurable improvement. 1 previous Rem 1250 FPS 1 buck shell that did not feed did indeed feed all 5 this session. I’m calling Mossberg Tuesday following holiday to see what they’re willing to do. I’m sure I have some recoil issues going on that they didn’t check last time I sent it to them. Just not feeling good about have to pay for followers, pistons, plunger, etc just to get it right when they have the parts and know that’s a problem with the 930’s. Again, thanks for your response and happy shooting.

Thanks for the follow up. So basically, you have a new 940! I’m glad it’s “running like a dream” as I’m currently where you were. The service guy I talked to at Mossberg said they couldn’t fix mine with 940 parts as those parts are dedicated to 940 production. Don’t know if that’s true or not but 3 weeks ago, that was the company line. Mine has no particular fps threshold. It’ll fail to feed 1290 Rem 0 buck and feed 1145 Fed LE 133 00 (8 pellet)fine. Then, turn right around and not feed 9 pellet 1145 Fed LE 132 00. So, saying I’m lost is indeed, an understatement. I added the MST and had no measurable improvement. 1 previous Rem 1250 FPS 1 buck shell that did not feed did indeed feed all 5 this session. I’m calling Mossberg Tuesday following holiday to see what they’re willing to do. I’m sure I have some recoil issues going on that they didn’t check last time I sent it to them. Just not feeling good about have to pay for followers, pistons, plunger, etc just to get it right when they have the parts and know that’s a problem with the 930’s. Again, thanks for your response and happy shooting.
Although I bought my parts piecemeal, OR3GUN has package deals for decent prices. They even carry the SBE pistons. I think the biggest difference came from replacing the recoil spring retainer.

Although I bought my parts piecemeal, OR3GUN has package deals for decent prices. They even carry the SBE pistons. I think the biggest difference came from replacing the recoil spring retainer.
I did write OR3GUN and the gentleman who responded was very helpful with detailed things to look for if this is happening or that I’d happening then we should look at this. I was very impressed with his desire to give me real helpful detailed info. He too thought the rear end of the gun was the best place to look. Thanks again for your help and insight.

I have the 22” JM Pro with the OR3GUN Multi-Use Storm Gray MST. The 930 does not like the Remington Managed Recoil Slugger rounds. Some cycle but most FTE

Last edited:
Back