• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M1 Garand

Ya gotta tell me more than that SNIPER...what manufacturer...what year...come on man !!

Haha sorry Shooter,

I was posting a bunch of stuff in a hurry. It's Springfield Armory, not sure about the year though. I'll have to do some diggin.

Sorry for the delay...

I actually got it back on Tues, Its been a busy week to say the least, But, Here it is...
Just some quick pic's out back in the parking lot.

6254950660_0324358e70_b.jpg

6254949334_abafeb698d_b.jpg

some of the Chinese markings I couldn't really see before(the PO ground them off)
6254951808_5535887e2c_b.jpg

6254422135_8674d317c0_b.jpg

All of my pic's can be seen Here in Vit's Flickr album from oldest to newest.

I'm hoping to get out to a range this weekend, If I can I wont have a write up as I was told I need to do a proper break in, Which will still be fun, But I don't think I will be able to get many on paper.

That's a beauty Vit !! Real good lookin' furniture too...

We're all looking forward to the range report.... ;)

Dude, That is sooooo awesome!!! Beautiful rifle! There are few surplus rifles I really really like, and this is one of them!

Parkerizing, furniture, sights, right down to the M1907 sling! Looks great!

Hey SNIPER...any word on the date of your Dad's M1...

( Curious minds want to know !! ....if ya need help, PM me the serial # ) :D

Haven't had a chance to research it yet. I'm in route back home now, but I'll dig in when I get to the house...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
It's been an awesome day hangin out with my Pop today takin pics of his collection.

Here's the Garand he's had for years...

Ok Shooter,

The serial number tracks the date of manufacture to somewhere between June/July 1942...

Awesome SNIPER...!!

Here's a timeline of what was happening in June / July 1942, when your M1 was manufactured

June 1942

Date

18: Manhattan Project is started, the beginning of a scientific approach to nuclear weapons.
: Winston Churchill arrives in Washington for meetings with Roosevelt.
: The siege of Tobruk intensifies; some defending forces are pulled back to Egypt.
21: Afrika Korps recaptures Tobruk, with 35,000 men captured; the road to Egypt is now open as the British retreat deep into Egypt. Tobruk's loss is a grievous blow to British morale. German land forces have been assisted by Luftwaffe attacks.
23: Marsa Matruh, Egypt falls to Rommel, about 140 miles from Alexandria.
24: British fall back to El Alamein, 60 miles from Alexandria, for a "final stand".
25: General Eisenhower arrives in London ready to assume the post of Commander of American forces in Europe.
: Another massive "Thousand Bomber" raid, this time on Bremen; the raiders suffer grievous losses.
26: The Germans drive toward Rostov.
27: Doomed convoy PQ17 sets sail from Iceland; only 11 of 37 ships will survive.
28: Operation Blue, the German plan to capture Stalingrad and the Soviet Union oil fields in the Caucasus, begins. Generally, forces are shifted to the South.
30: Rommel reaches El Alamein.
: United States of America deploys II Corps to the European Theater.

July 1942

Date

1: First Battle of El Alamein begins as Rommel begins first assault on British defences.
: Sevastopol falls to the Germans; the end of Red Army resistance in the Crimea.
2: Churchill survives a censure motion in the House of Commons.
: Allies experience heavy June losses of shipping to U-boats, including those of PQ17.
3: Guadalcanal is now firmly in the hands of the Japanese.
4: First air missions by American Air Force in Europe.
11: Rommel's forces are now stalemated before El Alamein, largely because of a lack of ammunition.
17: Battle of Stalingrad begins

===========================================================

No problem...I find the history of military firearms very interesting !

My eyes...My eyes !! God help me...!!

Looks real good Vit !! From what I can see... :ugeek:

Get her to the range yet ?! Can't miss with that scope...

Oh my goodness! Holy smokes and every other word I cant put into type!!! That is gorgeous!

the sight and everything it practically brought a tear to my eye I was so over joyed at seein this thing!

Well done!

Thanks guy's, I just put it on Thursday, I hope to get to a range soon, Unfortunately, This weekend will bring the suck, Its windy-er than hell out with a great chance of rain/snow.

Buying M1 Garands, The Civilian Marksmanship Program

I came across this on Guns America.

I have no idea if its all legit, but it was posted this year, just a couple months ago. If its all true, its an excellent opportunity to own one of the most fascinating Battle Rifles of US military history.

Check the links, read the story;

Guns America,
Guns America, Buying M1 Garands

The CMP's (Civilian Marksmanship Program) site is def worth taking the time to check out! They have rifles, not solely the M1, but the M1 Carbine, 1917 Enfields, batonets, cartridge belts, tools, cleaning kits/rods, barrels, furniture, etc... !!!
CMP sales

And! There is a wharehouse/shipping center in Ohio!

Re: Buying M1 Garands, The Civilian Marksmanship Program

It is very real, You can have a rifle shipped right to you IF you follow their rules and qualify, I opted for the other route, I got a Type 3 C&R license

Back