• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mag dropping during cycling/firing.. mvp patrol 308

ChrisM

Copper BB
Hey all I’m new to the group. I have a few guns but just bought my first mossberg, the Mvp Patrol in 308. While I know there’s issues with wobble and looseness related to the standard pMag it comes with and replacements, but I’m wondering if anyone has had their 10shot mag that the patrol comes with in the box, literally drop out of the mag well while cycling and : or firing? I took mine to range to shoot if for the the first time after purchase and the mag dropped out so many times I had to hold the mag with my support hand when firing to stop it from de-latching. I’ve since used a flat head screwdriver to “bend” or at least “manipulate“ the latch release out as far as I can without breaking it, and i will test at the range tomorrow to see if I was successful. But I was wondered if anyone else has seen this or heard of this happening? Especially considering there are so many complaints about the loose mags and mag wobble.

I think I had that happen a few times when I first got mine but not anymore. I know I have to push up on my PMAG's till I hear a click and haven't had it happen in a couple years now. I have 3 of those 10 round ones and all stay in.

Had this issue with an MVP Patrol in .556 issue was the spring in the mag release. Spring was too weak and was allowing the mag release to shift or unlock either from recoil or cycling the bolt.
Replace that spring with a stronger one and no more mag drop.

Well that freaked me out a little. A user with my same first name and last initial having the same issue I did with the same gun. I searched this issue in these forums and found this post. At first I thought maybe I had a stroke and don't remember posting it last year but the timeline doesn't work out and in looking that his profile he is younger then I am and his writing style isn't like mine either.

I will try replacing the spring as suggested above.

Hey all I’m new to the group. I have a few guns but just bought my first mossberg, the Mvp Patrol in 308. While I know there’s issues with wobble and looseness related to the standard pMag it comes with and replacements, but I’m wondering if anyone has had their 10shot mag that the patrol comes with in the box, literally drop out of the mag well while cycling and : or firing? I took mine to range to shoot if for the the first time after purchase and the mag dropped out so many times I had to hold the mag with my support hand when firing to stop it from de-latching. I’ve since used a flat head screwdriver to “bend” or at least “manipulate“ the latch release out as far as I can without breaking it, and i will test at the range tomorrow to see if I was successful. But I was wondered if anyone else has seen this or heard of this happening? Especially considering there are so many complaints about the loose mags and mag wobble.
Went on fist trip with MPV exact think happing. Mag falls out when firing. Other wise all good no wobble and can't pull it out.
Not a ordinary spring.

Attachments

• PXL_20240320_092742602.jpg
    PXL_20240320_092742602.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 3
Just having a look at the catch and the little bit that runs up the front of the mag is taking tension off the release lever when the mag is inserted.
This bit is maybe to stop the slop and rattle.

Attachments

• PXL_20240320_093923637.jpg
    PXL_20240320_093923637.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1
I'm not well versed enough to help out, but I think you may be onto something. I can't imagine the frustration of the damn mag falling out at ANY time, much less when firing.

I hope you can find a cure - this moves the MVP Patrol farther down my 308 bolt gun wish list. :l

Back