• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mag durability testing

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
Ive read the reviews, and watched the YouTube videos, so here recently ive decided to start doing some of my own. Ive started with my steel AK mags. I just take them outside, an literally start throwing them around (empty). Across the yard, into the driveway, kick em around in the gravel, throw them down the driveway, toss em against a tree, nothin ridiculous, but I want to know that they'll take some abuse. Does anyone else do this?

Well, should things ever go south, I want to know that my mags will still function in adverse conditions. If minor abuse renders it useless then its just that, useless. Plus its kinda fun throwing things around,the back yard. For a reason. Lol

Lol true. But if you take that thinking to its full conclusion insert mag and toss that rifle around too.

How about a systematic test where a variety of mags are subjected to the same forces and results are compiled?!

Personally I don't see a whole lot of situations where mags alone would suffer serious abuse or end the 'game'.

Mags are pretty cost-effective - a simple swap and easy to have a substantial supply on hand. I can swap a mag or 10 in seconds. A trigger, bolt or barrel failure will bring the ability to shoot to a halt for some time or, essentially kill the gun without proper replacement parts and tools!

Perhaps testing in those and other 'critical' areas will lead to a personal battle Plan where 3 guns become 2 and 2 become 1 and what can or should be in reserve to prevent 'going out of the shooting business'.

'Pass another mag' does not really stress me out. 'Got a spare gun' - that's another story!! :mad:

i agree, but you can only carry so many mags at once, my number is 6. if i take a tumble down a hill and a couple come loose and bounce along the way i would like to think i can still rely on them to function properly. or on the other hand, in an emergency evacuation/ relocation, your not going to carefully pick them up, place them in the transport vehicle, then unload them when you reach your destination. its going to be grab, throw, and go. i fully understand that the weapon is the weak point. but at least i know that the mags i have on hand are durable. if i get a new one, chuck it across the yard, and it is rendered inaffective that easily i'll be glad i didnt relay on it in a stressful situation.

No, I don't do catastrophic testing of my equipment. Costs too much for me to just bang it around. I'll just watch everyone else do it on youtube at their expense.

My solution to a mag failure is to have a lot of magazines. And when I come across a good deal, I buy even more as I can. Not unlike ammunition at all.

Did I say that out loud?

Anyway, if a mag is irrepairably damaged, you can still usually use much of it for spare parts for your other mags.

I'm sure someone can find a link, but I thought I scrolled through a rather lengthy long term magazine test by a forum member over @ ar15.com. They compared Lancer 5's, Pmags, Standard Allum mags and some others. Probably the best test I've seen so far on the interwebs. @oli700 didn't you share that link at some point?

Anyone else use a dump pouch on their belt or vest?

You guys have me curious now how many mags I actually have.

so you were at the range that day as well, you got my good side too

I always try to hit all the angles;)

Anyone else use a dump pouch on their belt or vest?

You guys have me curious now how many mags I actually have.

I do have a mag pouch and would use it when the opportunity presented itself. I only have about 20 mags.... I feel unprepared.

...Does anyone else do this?

If the mag works, I wouldn't be "testing" it as you are. Not much to get damaged if you and the mag get jossled around--mags are fairly durable, IMO. But by deliberately tossing the mags around what if one lands on a feed lip and bends it, rendering the mag non-functional? o_O Well I guess THAT test was conclusive... :rolleyes: ;)

Well all my steel and poly AK mags shot just fine today, no obvious physical damage, although the two tapco each lost a floorplate. The first was on,the first throw across the yard, the other was on the second throw. Parts didn't go far. Re assembled each and continued on with no further issues.

Back