• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mag loading question

Hey guys I have a 500 in the closet. And I have it loaded with pdx1 but I dry fire it with the mag loaded ........for a quick pump ,safety off,and but to the shoulder all in one motion .......now question is,if I leave the gun dry fired with a loaded mag will it cause damage to the gun....springs,or trigger group

Dry firing wont affect the magazine at all, but leaving it loaded for extended periods of time may weaken the springs. You can download by a shell or two, and I know of other folks who keep extra mag tube springs on hand and rotate the springs out every month or so. Consider this however; LEO's routinely have guns loaded for extended periods of time, they spend way more time loaded than unloaded.

Dry firing I'm told should be fine.

And if you want to go above and beyond, you can buy some good snap caps to keep in the chamber so when you dry fire, your striker hits that and best resembles an actual shell. and you can pick it up after it is extracted and you are done dealing ith the reason for racking it in the first place.

If you go this way, get the metal ones, the plastic ones don't hold up for prolonged use.

I have a pack for every caliber I have so I can use them as trainers when taking friends and family to the range for the first time that have never shot before without the danger of a BANG at the wrong time.

s7_223846_999_01

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Rim fire type weapons are the only ones that shouldn't be dry fired. Otherwise, you're good to go.

+2, and modern springs (since the 30s) shouldn’t loose tension unless they are the lowest grade crap on the market….

Rossignol said:
I know of other folks who keep extra mag tube springs on hand and rotate the springs out every month or so.
alrighty then.... :lol:

Sorry I was talking about dryfiring so thr mag relase will stay in/down ........so I dont have to fumble with the pump release deal next to the trigger

ernestrincon said:
Sorry I was talking about dryfiring so thr mag relase will stay in/down ........so I dont have to fumble with the pump release deal next to the trigger

Why not just pump a round into the chamber, reload the mag and leave it ready to go?

ernestrincon said:

Nope, no harm. The only problem is that the action can come open if you set the gun on the butt a little hard or if you are handling it the action might come open.

Reason I leave it like that is because I keep it in the closet ....for my wife when im gone for 6 days .....its faster to get in to action

oli700 said:
Rossignol said:
I know of other folks who keep extra mag tube springs on hand and rotate the springs out every month or so.
alrighty then.... :lol:

I aint lyin! I have actually heard of people who keep a couple extra spings. Leave one loaded for a month, then change it out for another and each spring stays loaded for a month and unloaded for two.

ernestrincon said:

So you are saying you want the chamber closed with the action forward but not loaded? I personally leave the chamber open and shells close at hand. You can keep a couple or 8 rounds in the magazine, and have some close by, so if/when its needed you can grab a shell and drop it onto the lifter and send it to battery. Just my preference.

Back