• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magellan eXplorist Series Review And Feedback Thread...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
http://www.magellangps.com/Products/eXplorist-Family

Magellan eXplorist 310 Hunter Edition
media.nl

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/eXp ... er-Edition

Magellan eXplorist 310 bundled with Kirsch’s Hunting Products TRAX Maps
Choose your favorite hunting state
TRAX maps are an all-around sportsmen's map combining the feature sets of a BLM map, Forest service map, Game and Fish map, and other maps sets into one.
The maps work on the eXplorist and provide real-time mapping data critical to outdoor activities.

Magellan eXplorist 510 Hunter Edition
media.nl

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/eXp ... er-Edition

Magellan eXplorist 510 bundled with Kirsch’s Hunting Products TRAX Maps
Choose your favorite hunting state
TRAX maps are an all-around sportsmen's map combining the feature sets of a BLM map, Forest service map, Game and Fish map, and other maps sets into one.
The maps work on the eXplorist and provide real-time mapping data critical to outdoor activities.

It could be a good idea to compare this unit with another brand to check the capacity of the GPS to adquire satellite´s signal under covered areas.This is for me the most critical aspect in a GPS when moving in woodland areas.Most of the GPS get fast satellite signal in clear areas,but it is different if you are hunting woodland or similar.
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista CX that works well for me.Normally, I do not hunt in remote areas,I use it to mark waypoints and then use "go to" function.If I loose a blood trail in the night I use the GPS to mark the last blood point.Then I can go next day to follow the search with daylight.
Having two different units ,you can switch on them at the same time and see the difference when adquiring signal.
A second thing.Very important for the unit being well done;waterproof and shockproof.
Will be waiting for your thoughts.

You bring up some great points and I appreciate you taking the time out to respond.

1.) GPS signal: excellent topic to go into and I will talk with Magellan about this and return with more information. I couldn't agree more that it doesn't matter how good a GPS is if you can not get signal in the field.

2.) Blood trail: this is exactly the sort of information that Magellan is looking for in terms of features. They want to make the user interface as hunter friendly as possible. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. They are going to have a feature that allows you to mark your hunting boundary and have an audible alarm as you approach it. Other features that I would like would included are a tree stand marker, trail marker, etc.

3.) Durability: it is terrible when you have a device fail in the field. I would like to see it be able to take a fall from say a tree stand without being damaged or fall into a stream and still functions.

Currently for off trail stuff I have a Garmin ETrex Legend. It is OK but is very slow (older version), does not have much memory, I can't load the topo maps for my two different hunting location sat the same time.

I usually know where I am so I don't usually use it for navigation but I use it a lot for setting points of interest so that I can return. i.e. found a good deer sign and want to check it out at a later time, following blood trail, etc. I also use it a lot while fishing to mark location where fish are caught, shallow water, and things like that. It also comes in handle for finding the boat launch after dark on those remotes lake with no markers.

I also used mine a lot snowmobiling to help in determining how close we were to trail heads, roads, gas etc.

Things I would like in the next model I buy.

* More memory
* The ability to set a way point with a single action (i.e. press of a single button)
* Quicker satelite acquiistion
* Longer battery life.
* A compass that works without the user being in motion.
* Strong lanyard anchor. The Legend is just a small plastic bar that broke the first time i used it.
* The ability to quickly change mounts. I.e attach to handlebar of bike or quad and easily remove it for travel.
* A secure, easy to attach cord for charging/data transfer. My Garmin has an odd plug that is difficult to connect easily.
* buttons that are easy to use right or left handed with only one hand. The joystick on my Garmin is located at the top left so if you are using it in your right hand you need to obscure the screen a bit to reach it with your thumb. All controls should be at the bottom or on the sides.
* weather resistant
* replacable batteries. There are no chargers out in the woods.

These are all I can think of now.

The Megellan looks to have a lot of the features I'm looking for but I hate the touch screens. The majority of my GPS useage comes during the cold months and having to have to remove my heavy gloves to use it puts those models out of the running for me.

I just read the previous post re: touch screen, and have add my bit. I have 2 Garmins - a Legend HCx and a Dakota 20. They both are loaded with the topo cards. I prefer the touch screen so my prospecting partner gets to use the Legend. My eye sight isn't what it use to be so I prefer also the brighter and slightly larger Dakota screen. We often prospect in very steep canyons and find the Dakota better for that. Dream features would be a much larger screen (Montana), brighter, touch screen, radio communication & data transfer, camera and data transfer to non Windows computer. The compass feature is nice as where we go there is often too much interference for a magnetic compass. We carry both units as we mark our own points and as back up if one fails - but the rule we use is IF you can't use a map and compass don't use a GPS!

Back