• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul AFG

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Just got the AFG1. I wont do a real super indepth review, just take a look and try it out. I'm still waiting on my rail before I can really test it anyway. I'll be using it on either my 590A1 or on my Persuader.

My initial thoughts are this however.

I've been practicing reloading from my shell cuff. Without moving my right hand from a firing position, I am able with my left hand to go under the receiver and my right hand to reach a shell from the cuff, load it into the ejection port and smoothly slide my hand forward to manipulate the action. I'm thinking the AFG will foul my method by adding another movement to my rhythm.

The AFG itself is solid and I like it. I've mocked it into place and I like the feel. Its definitely more ergonomic.

If I can make it flow, I'll run it. However, I firmly believe gadgets dont make a better shooter. We'll see...

I look forward to seeing pictures and how it functions with your new ERGO rail.

Just got my Ergo rail forend today (which is another topic!) and fit the AFG to it. The AFG2 would have been a better choice as the AFG wouldnt even slide onto the Ergo rail at all even without rail covers.

I did some modification with one of the finest tools ever developed, a dremel, and took off enough from each side so the AFG would slide onto the rail easily and tightly slide into place with the low profile rail covers.

It looks good so far and I'll have the forend with the AFG installed sometime this weekend!

I'll elaborate more after a bit on some things I ran into during installing the AFG, but here are a couple of pics for now.

206580_1714737183330_1085205913_31502644_5879515_n.jpg

199511_1714737663342_1085205913_31502647_6519269_n.jpg

Have you tried the AFG in action yet? Hows the angle for working the pump, looks a bit awkward for the forward motion?

I have done some shooting. Just birdshot and quick target acquisition with bead sights.

It was a little awkward at first. It took a little getting used to at first, but after some short adjustment, I was able to appreciate the angle.

I have yet to be able to get out and shoot some high brass. The weather has sucked... Soon I hope.

I picked up an AFG as well. Right now I have it mounted on my Pardner Protector (870 copy) on a forend that looks like this, but with a molded in rail on the bottom, running the length of the forend...
870_forend.jpg

They fit very well together, as there are no extruding rails and rail covers getting in the way.
Ergonomically it feels just right to me. Very natural.
I haven't spent any rounds with the AFG attached yet, but dry cycling and tactical reloads felt very good.

I plan to fit it to my Mossberg Tac.22 as well to see how it feels. I'll get pics at some point.

Cool, cant wait to see it!

For me cycling vs. shooting were two different things... I'm gonna do more shooting yet, but so far, it took some getting used to.

We'll see how it goes with some full power loads.

Back