• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul Dynamic Shotgun Video

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Has anyone seen the Magpul Dynamic Shotgun video?

I watched the Dynamic Rifle and although it was good, although I didn't learn a whole lot from it, but it was good to brush up on a few things.

I was mostly wondering if anyone has seen or recommend the shotgun series?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCv0X6SqUg[/youtube]

Looks like an excellent series of training techniques...may have to check them out !

Could you post a link where these DvD's can be found...

Thanks John A. !!....rep sent

==================================

Here's a few I borrowed from a friend of mine...they showed me a few new things.

Clint Smith & Thunder Ranch

-Defensive Shotgun
-Urban Rifle
-Defensive Handgun

http://www.thunderranchinc.com/store.html

==================================

Yep! I have them on my YouTube favorites, good info to be incorporated! Like anything, take something from everything to put together what works best for you! I found a few things to help me improve!

Has any one done the 00 buck cut on the shell to make a “emergency slug".....it is on the dvd....i wanted to try it but I want my face to stay the same .....

I've seen it done, but I have never personally done it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU[/youtube]

I have it. Got it on a promotion so I didn't pay anywhere near retail.

Much of it is "stuff you know". But it isn't necessarily "stuff you have tried/drilled on". So seeing someone do the things can be helpful or interesting. Also the guys do have their own preferences and styles, so you aren't just seeing one way to do tactical reloads, or carry extra rounds for example.

The students in the class all have different kinds of guns, from three gun autos (I think even with endorsement stickers on them if I recall correctly!) down to the on the ground deputy sheriff with the 5 shot service pump. That also is helpful in my mind.

I think if you can afford to spend $35 on a video, you could do a lot worse. It will get you pumped about your gun, and improving your skills. But if you're here on this site, it just may be stuff you already know.

Cut shells ... the ORIGINAL FliteControl wad! :D

The Magpul video looks interesting. It's hard to critique it based on just the trailer but I did see at least one thing that I didn't like (and I've mentioned it on here before) ... lowering the weapon and looking down to reload. To the extent possible, I like to see defensive shooter training that keeps the weapon up in the sight picture while it's being reloaded. Lowering your weapon and looking down while reloading significantly reduce your situational awareness.

Mudinyeri said:

The Magpul video looks interesting. It's hard to critique it based on just the trailer but I did see at least one thing that I didn't like (and I've mentioned it on here before) ... lowering the weapon and looking down to reload. To the extent possible, I like to see defensive shooter training that keeps the weapon up in the sight picture while it's being reloaded. Lowering your weapon and looking down while reloading significantly reduce your situational awareness.

Well, I don't recall that section, and it may been a drill that had to do with something else going on either in the environment or with the equipment, but it isn't standard for these guys. They tend to like to do stuff right up in their faces. They've both been shot at in the real world.

blue said:
Mudinyeri said:

Well, I don't recall that section, and it may been a drill that had to do with something else going on either in the environment or with the equipment, but it isn't standard for these guys. They tend to like to do stuff right up in their faces. They've both been shot at in the real world.

I took another look at the trailer. Like I said, hard to judge with just out-takes and the lowering/looking down was fairly minimal.

FWIW, there are plenty of guys who've been shot at in the real world who lower their weapon and look down to reload. The Army, for example, taught nothing about reloading "up in the box" until very recently. I'm still not sure that it's taught in Basic. I think I posted a story here on this forum of a former military guy who got shot due, in part (his opinion), to poor military training related to reloads, stance, etc.

Well I got a chance to watch this. A buddy of mine has it and let me borrow it. Like blue said, most of it is something anyone that has spent a fair amount of time around a shotgun 'knows' but may not utilize or practice. The set comes with 3 disks and on the last one it has drills that you can follow along with for loading, reloading, changing stance, etc etc that are demonstrated through out the first two disks. Overall, its a good instructional video set that will help you to (or instruct you how to) improve your shotgun motor skills and speed. Defiantly worth picking up if you feel you're lacking in that area.

The clip of one of the instructors looking down at the gun while loading is kind of taken out of context. He was demonstrating a reloading method that can be used for competitions, but specifically says he would not use it in a true fire fight.

a friend of mine has it... I've seen bits, but not the whole thing.

So far, the two things that stand out in my mind:

1: I swear, you can see Haley roll his eyes through his super-dark sunglasses whenever BeardMan is talking

2: BeardMan (I always forget his name) is casually talking about the shotgun... just chatting with the crowd... talking about things... THEN HE LOOKS INTO THE CHAMBER WITH ALL HIS MIGHT!!! then he goes right back to casually talking... THEN HE LOOKS INTO THE CHAMBER AGAIN!

Back