• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul SGA stock vs Original Mossberg stock (felt recoil)

DTL

Ive got a magpul sga stock on my a1 and think it is a great, versatile stock. I wonder what others experiences are though between the felt recoil in the shoulder between the sga and the original mossberg stock? Do any of you feel the original stock is more comfortable at the shoulder under full power loads over the sga? Ive been shooting with the sga and have to admit that after about ten rounds of 00buck and or slugs my shoulder is starting to feel it and I'm not a small guy. Do any of you find the original stock to transfer less felt recoil to the shouler point of contact while shooting?

Sounds as though you may be in the market for the recoil pad adapter... it's not a lot of money and it allows you to use a limbsaver pad for the small Remington . Part#- MAG318 (the pad will be sold separately)

https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-sga-oem-butt-pad-adapter

having both an SGA on the hd rig as well as a houge on the field gun my opinion is the ergonomics are better "for me" using the sga..
To each their own of course , but for me I find the sga allows my trigger finger thumb to ride ever so slightly lower in behind the tang.. This is very nice when running a short LOP as it keeps your nose frI'm running into the thumb knuckle lol.

Patch700, do you notice a comfort difference between the houge recoil pad and the sga recoil pad? Several months ago I was shooting my 18.5 a1 with sga stock and my 20 inch a1 with original mossberg stock. The guy I was shooting with and I both commented that the 20" managed recoil better. I thought it was due to the extra weight of the 20" but after shooting my 18.5 the other day with sga stock (and my shoulder feeling it) I wonder if I just found the original mossberg stock more comfortable as far as recoil against my shoulder.

Yes , the pad that Houge uses is very soft as well as deep and absorbs quite a bit.

The SGA on the other hand leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion for extended shooting sessions.

I myself have not yet got the magpul adapter and limbsaver pad but what I have done is essentially Swiss cheesed the factory pad along the sides , so from a visual standpoint it now has a series of 3/8" holes running the from top to bottom along the sides.. That in itself made a difference so I left it at that.

If I had to rate them on a hardness scale with 1 being the firmest and 10 being plush , I would say the sga is a 2 , the factory pad is a 6 and the houge would rate at 8.. the limbsaver which I don't have yet would be the best.

I have shot a friends 870 with the adapter and limbsaver and it does make a difference and I would recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade.

I wonder if a slip on limbsaver would fit over the magpul stock?

Or, if there is a limbsaver pad that would bolt onto the magpul?

I wonder if a slip on limbsaver would fit over the magpul stock?

Or, if there is a limbsaver pad that would bolt onto the magpul?

If I remember correctly, the factory sga pad and therefore the sliding assembly as well is drilled differently than all other pads? I suppose with enough engineering one could make something work...
Or you could just buy the adapter that magpul sells for I believe 10 bucks and this will allow you to use a small Remington pad.

As far as the slip on deal it may work but if it needs to be a snug fit that could pose a problem due to the shape and design of the sga being quite thin past where the pad goes.

Thank you for the explanation.

I don't have an SGA, so hearing from people who do helps answer my questions.

The sga is a well made versatile stock but I think I would agree with patch700 that the but pad is a little on the hard side. I may actually convert back to the original mossberg stock and add a limbsaver to it. The lop is about an inch longer than my sga setup but I think I can live with it.

Sounds like magpul would do well to see if there is something they could work out with limbsaver.

The sga is a well made versatile stock but I think I would agree with patch700 that the but pad is a little on the hard side. I may actually convert back to the original mossberg stock and add a limbsaver to it. The lop is about an inch longer than my sga setup but I think I can live with it.

I haven't gotten the mapgul stock yet, but I'll probably end up going that route since the LOP on my synthetic speed-feed stock is a bit too long for my liking. I'll say that the stock recoil pad on the mossberg stock is just way too stiff and I have no idea why Mossberg makes it like that from the factory.

Adjusting to the proper LOP and putting a softer recoil pad on the stock seem to be the 2 main ways to mitigate recoil, so the Magpul seems like it should accomplish both (assuming you get the 870 recoil pad and adaptor for the SGA stock).

Adding weight is the main way to mitigate recoil. A soft recoil pad helps, but LOP has something to do with how solid the mount is. A five pound gun will always recoil more sharply than an eight or nine pound gun given same load. The biggest problem is the loss of mass in changing the stock.

There is only so much weight you can add to a shotgun before you make impractical to handle and carry. I have a 20" 590a1 (heavy profile barrel and metal trigger guard) and tacstar side saddle...even with all that weight, the recoil for some loads can be pretty tough on my shoulder for anything more than a few shots.

Adjusting the LOP supposedly offers a better fit which helps with recoil....I suppose I'll find out how much once I get mapgul stock put on mine.
Recoil pad changeout is a given...Mosseberg's stock pad is ridiculously stiff.

A slight change in your strong arm elbow position may be all you need to do. Raise it a bit higher and try that in stages and it might make a huge difference.

You can put a Limb Saver pad on the SGA stock with this adapter https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-SGA-Butt-Pad-Adapter-Black/dp/B008RK9J3Y This allows you to put a Remington 870 LimbSaver pad on the stock. I think it's Limb Saver #10101.

The Limb Saver does make a noticeable difference in the felt recoil vs the OEM pad. After 15 rounds of buck shot, I was ready to call it a day with the OEM stock. The LOP on the Mossberg stock was too long for me tho, so I installed a Magpul SGA stock with the 870 adapter and LimbSaver 870 pad. Made a world of difference.

36924945665_aaa622f660.jpg

SGA stock with adapter for Rem870 limbsaver. It is decently more squishy compared to the original magpul.

Reviving an old thread here....So I have the Magpul Stock for my Mossberg 590a1.

In terms of ergonomics, the stock is head-and-shoulders above what the OEM stock provided: much better and more adaptable LOP; better hand placement for actuating the trigger and safety; cheek riser option is a nice option for those with different sight systems.

My one complaint: the recoil is still a pain to deal with (literally and figuratively). It's a bit more dampened compared to the OEM stock, but not by much. 10 rounds of full power 2 3/4" and 3" loads and my shoulder starting to get bruised. Not acceptable in my view. I'm surprised no one from Mossberg or Magpul has really addressed that issue.

So, in order to use the Limbsaver pad on the Magpul stock I need: the Remington 870 buttpad adaptor (https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-SGA-Butt-Pad-Adapter-Black/dp/B008RK9J3Y) and I need a Limbsaver recoil pad. Does anyone know the part # for that recoil pad which fits on the buttpad adaptor?

Back