• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul VRG safe to use on Mossberg 590A1?

Nekrus

Copper BB
Hello all, I'm somewhat new to the forums here and haven't been able to find another forum topic that discusses this in detail so I thought I'd post to ask the community.

I have a Mossberg 590A1 Blackwater Series as my home defense shotgun. Currently it's equipped with a Magpul VRG Vertical Rail Grip attached to the forend/pump nearest the trigger with a Surefire X300 Ultra Tactical Light in front of that. Here is a picture:

I like this setup because it allows me to use the pulse feature of the Surefire light while also maintaining a solid grip on the pump.

My question is is it safe to use a 590A1 with a vertical grip on the pump like this or will it cause damage to the slides over time? I've read a few comments here and there on various other forums where people have stated their thought was that the vertical rail at the rear of the pump places too much pressure on an incorrect angle for the slides when racking the shotgun.

Of course I'd love to keep the setup the way I have it now but obviously I don't want to ruin my gun to do it so I'd like to hear what you all have to say about this. For the most part I intend to use this gun for home defense but I do like to shoot it at the range or out on the land from time to time. I suppose I could just take off the vertical grip when shooting for fun and leave it on for use in home defense but I'd like to leave it on to practice with.

What are your thoughts? Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!! Cheers!! :)

Attachments

• Mossberg 590A1 Blackwater Series.jpg
    Mossberg 590A1 Blackwater Series.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 76
I personally don't think with normal use it will hurt anything.

I have been running both a bottom grip, and also a side grip simultaneously on one of mine for years.

The only damage that I can think of that it could cause it to bend one (or both) of the bars, which is some pretty tough steel to begin with and could probably be repaired yourself with a basic field strip.

Maybe if you fell and pile drived yourself out of a 2nd story window or use it as a pry bar you would hurt something.

But with normal use, neither of mine have caused any harm whatsoever.

PS welcome to the forum. Nice pic and setup.

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the answer. I couldn't find anything definitive about it on this forum or any others I looked at so I just thought I'd ask. I've only put about 100 rounds through this shotgun so far so I'm sure once I've put a few hundred more through I'll see for myself. Thanks again.

I'll echo what John said.

I've run a vertical foregrip on my 590 for several years with no issues. If you have some time to kill, search the interwebs for anyone claiming that a VFG has ACTUALLY caused any damage to their own pump shotgun. I'm not talking about the threads discussing the "it will" or "it could" scenarios or the "this one guy I know had it happen one time" threads. There's not much out there in the way of real world proof that it's a cause for concern...

Back