• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

making a ghillie

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
One of my sons has been wanting to make a ghillie for a while now.

He had one of those (very cheap) chinese "leaf" ponchos that looked good, as long as you closed your eyes. On one side, it had a pretty good realtree pattern, but the backside of the material was white. And since they were all sewn from the same position, that makes it that once you donned the suit, either the front or the back would show only the white side which as you would imagine, just sucked.

If they had taken the time to put the camo pattern on both sides of the leaf texture, would have been pretty good. But, alas, they didn't. So, that was where he started with the donor material.

In order to take care of that, we used about 9 different colors of browns and greens and spray painted it inside and out. This worked well by itself and all alone, but needed more 3D textures because you could still see the human outline.

So, we got some burlap, some string, and even some artificial flowers that are native to the area (ferns, etc). Tied them all over the suit in random locations and patterns and stuff. And we left a lot of extra strings so we could tie on some sticks and things that you'd pick up off of the ground and give it even more depth and natural shadows.

After the second trip to the mountain seeing how everything looked, we used a baseball cap and saw that the bill cast too much shadow in the face which stood out too bad. So, we cut the bill off of it and did the same thing to it adding burlap and artificial plants and leaves to break up the outline of the cap/hood.

Now we have something that just melts into the area where we live and hunt and after some trial and error and some work on his part, he has something better than any store bought camo could ever be.

Here's a closeup picture of him in the suit from about 12 feet away. At 25 feet, he's literally indistinguishable.

OVNCBbe.jpg

And a picture of the poncho and the hood standing right up over top of it before we put it in the backpack to come home.

h0yCw5Y.jpg

Thanks nitesite.

We've had a pretty good time making it. I don't believe that he thought it would have turned out as well as it did. I think he had pretty low expectations of how it would look when we first started working on it.

But, after a few revisions, he's pretty proud of it and has even shared some of the pictures with a few of his buddies and is talking about wanting to use it during deer season this year.

And I must admit that I believe that it blends in a lot better than some camo outfit you'd go out and spend $100 or more on.

I could see a bit of mesh on the big screen, but it sure wasn’t obvious.

I like the Idea of extra strings or vines to tie on more camo.

I have one like that Ernst.

I believe my sons outperforms mine by a substantial margin.

Thanks for the responses and examples. I swear, I learn things here every day that I log in.

Meany, my goal is to learn something new, no matter how large or small, each day of my life!

And, I agree this forum certainly contributes to my goal. Lot of knowledge on here and good people willing to share.

Regards

One of my sons has been wanting to make a ghillie for a while now.

He had one of those (very cheap) chinese "leaf" ponchos that looked good, as long as you closed your eyes. On one side, it had a pretty good realtree pattern, but the backside of the material was white. And since they were all sewn from the same position, that makes it that once you donned the suit, either the front or the back would show only the white side which as you would imagine, just sucked.

If they had taken the time to put the camo pattern on both sides of the leaf texture, would have been pretty good. But, alas, they didn't. So, that was where he started with the donor material.

In order to take care of that, we used about 9 different colors of browns and greens and spray painted it inside and out. This worked well by itself and all alone, but needed more 3D textures because you could still see the human outline.

So, we got some burlap, some string, and even some artificial flowers that are native to the area (ferns, etc). Tied them all over the suit in random locations and patterns and stuff. And we left a lot of extra strings so we could tie on some sticks and things that you'd pick up off of the ground and give it even more depth and natural shadows.

After the second trip to the mountain seeing how everything looked, we used a baseball cap and saw that the bill cast too much shadow in the face which stood out too bad. So, we cut the bill off of it and did the same thing to it adding burlap and artificial plants and leaves to break up the outline of the cap/hood.

Now we have something that just melts into the area where we live and hunt and after some trial and error and some work on his part, he has something better than any store bought camo could ever be.

Here's a closeup picture of him in the suit from about 12 feet away. At 25 feet, he's literally indistinguishable.

OVNCBbe.jpg

And a picture of the poncho and the hood standing right up over top of it before we put it in the backpack to come home.

h0yCw5Y.jpg
Very nice !

Thanks buddy. He's been quite proud of his suit. I really wish I had thought to have taken a "before" picture of it. It quite literally was terrible.

He "made" a suit several years ago when he was 9 and, while he was proud of it at the time, it was like a 9 year old made it.

This suit though, he put a lot of time and thought in it and trying different things and going back into the woods several times perfecting it and changing it and adding as needed. He was a man on a mission with this project. And in the end, I think he knocked it out of the park.

Thanks buddy. He's been quite proud of his suit. I really wish I had thought to have taken a "before" picture of it. It quite literally was terrible.

He "made" a suit several years ago when he was 9 and, while he was proud of it at the time, it was like a 9 year old made it.

This suit though, he put a lot of time and thought in it and trying different things and going back into the woods several times perfecting it and changing it and adding as needed. He was a man on a mission with this project. And in the end, I think he knocked it out of the park.
It looks awesome!

Back