• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Making the MarkII Hot Glue Slugs

part
I was asked about Hot glue slugs.
STANDARD DISCLAIMER!!
This is for information only

View attachment 5997
Start with drilling out the crimp with a 5/8" hole saw. This keeps the rolled lip holding the wad and maintaining it like it came out of the box.Pour the shot out for reuse later, I usually work on batches of 100 when doing this step placing the hulls in large resealable plastic coffee tubs. The tubs I use hold around 75 hulls easily.
NOTE : my drill press has a slight wobble that i haven't been able to get rid of and makes a lightly ragged cut on the shells affects appearances only.

View attachment 5998
Drilled hull with shot cup and hot glue gun. I first determined a good fill volume and then measured the shot to come up with a shot weight of 0.900 ounce (I used ounces since Federal used ounces for theirs, 1 1/8oz. for example)

View attachment 5999
Scale set for weight

Setting tare
View attachment 6006
I NEVER could get exactly 0.900oz.
These are the weights light and heavy

View attachment 6001 View attachment 6002

View attachment 6007
Shot weighed out and in hulls.For me it was easier to keep the shot for each one in the hull until time to start the gluing process working in batches of 25

View attachment 6008
After transferring shot back to cup and rechecking shot weight placing hot glue in the bottom of hull.

View attachment 6009
Tamping the shot into the hot glue.The tamp is a piece of dowel thinned down on one end and has a twofold purpose: one in packing the loads and the other is sizing the hull.
I would recommend wetting the tamping end SLIGHTLY to help prevent the hot glue sticking to it.

View attachment 6010
All the shot and glue is in and tamped. Don't know how well it can seen,there is a little space between the head of the shot and the roll of the crimp. That slight wobble of the drill press again.
continued in partII

Back