• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Marble & Meprolight

72guy

.22LR
I've got a 590a1 Mariner with a bead front sight and a Mossberg GRS sight kit waiting to be installed. I don't want to go the solder or epoxy route for the front sight. Does anyone have experience with the Marble trijicon screw in sight. Will it work with the GRS rear sight? The Marble web site says:
Continuing Marble Arms® mission of "blending time tested tradition with modern
technology" we are introducing a self illuminating shotgun bead. This sight is precision
machined from solid steel to house the tritium capsule that illuminates your front sight in the
dark. This, in combination with a ghost ring rear sight is the perfect combination for law
enforcement shotguns and home defense weapons.
Thanks for the help
PS
Is the Meprolight bead identical to the Marble?

I believe the two are nearly if not entirely identical. I dont see how it would be high enough to work with a ghost ring rear, but neither do I have any experience with Marbles, which also means my first statemnt could be entirely inaccurate.

I recommend callin Marbles for dimensions to be certain.

I agree,

Hate to tell you, but it looks like Marble is mis-representing their product. I don't see any way that bead is going to be tall enough to create a line of sight level with the bore axis when using with a rear GRS. Even with the rear sight elevation at its minimum, your point of impact is going to be way too high. Even at relatively close range, you could end up overshooting your target by a couple feet.

Yes Meprolight has the same type bead, but their GRS compatable model is completely different. It's a blade style sight meant to install in the elevated front sight base. If you want to use the GRS, you NEED the front sight base. There's simply no way around it. If you don't want to go the silver solder route on your current barrel, the only way around it is buying a new one with the front GRS sight base already installed...

Thanks LES, I agree with your info. I had only seen the Marbles sight that replaces the bead and not the dovetail style for a pedestal base.

The simple bead replacement type is a good sight, either Marbles or Meprolight.

Thanks for the feedback! Been out of town. Sorry for the delayed response.
I received the Marble Arms tritium sight. I think you're correct. Too small without the front ramp.
I've explored all of the options using a banded front sight. LPA, SAGE, XS, etc. None of them will fit the A1 barrel diameter. Jay at Precision Sights referred me to a guy who would turn down the end of my barrel in order to fit the LPA banded front. No thanks.
What do you think of drilling and tapping a second 5x40 hole and screwing down the ramp utilizing the existing bead hole?
All of that being said. I'm thinking of going a different direction and using a MRDS. I've read the thread in the Optics forum on these sights. I'm leaning towards the Primary Arms Micro Geen Dot(
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arm ... pamrg2.htm ). Am I correct that all I need to do is add a Picitinny rail and mount the PA sight and I'm good to go? No front sight needed? Is the Mossberg rail as good as any other rail? Thanks again for the guidance.
Regards,
Dave

edit:Do you think the Burris sight is worth twice the money? https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris_FAST ... 300232.htm

Yes you are correct,

All you need to run an MRDS is the receiver rail and the Mossberg rail is as good as any out there. Like any other shallow tapped holes, the only thing to watch out for is not to over torque the screws. The threads are easily stripped. I've read good things about the PA MRDS here on the forum. Only remember one account of a failure, but PA quickly replaced the unit. I run a SightMark Mini Shot on my 590 and it's been a great little unit. Can't say anything negative about the Burris either. It's a great little MRDS, but there are other less expensive options out there that'll do the job...

Back