• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

marinecote refinish

seadogrv

Copper BB
how can i fix scratches on my 590 marinecote barrel. looks like mossberg does not refinish marinecote barrels

Well Seadogrv, we have a problem. The problem is that I don't know exactly what Marinecoat is. Marinecoat is a trade name by OFM to market the finish as being tougher around corrosive environments such as Salt Water than a normal coating. You know that already. There have been some reports of it yellowing. One person says it's baked on. But the exact composition of "Marinecoat" seems to be a mystery.

My guess is that it's actually a clear powder coat. And it would require baking in an oven to complete the process. Repairing Powder coating doesn't really have much of an industry out there. Mostly you would have to sand blast or chemically strip the old finish off and re-apply a new clear coated finish. If the finish is shiny like plating, then you would strip it chemically to preserve the metals finish. If it is like a sand blasted surface, then sand/bead blast the old finish off and re-apply.

Theres also the possibility that it is similar to Robar's NP3 finish. Which if I could afford would love to do to my rig. You can check that out here:
http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm

But whatever it truely is, OFM has it labeled as "Proprietary" which means they ain't sayin. ;)

I doubt that is what you wanted to hear. But that's the best I can do for you here on-line. Good Luck.

Paul

What I do know about the "marinecote" is that the finish is done by a company in New Mexico. OFM wont give the name of the company that does it nor do they know what it is exactly.

The NM company, if you can figure out who they are and contact them, may be able to help.

How bad are the scratches, do you have pics?

thanks for the help guys. im not sure how to do pics. I bought the gun in the 90s when i lived on a sail boat. just thought i'd dress it up a bit. but doesn't look like the marinecote is a good thing to scratch. the scratches are up by the mag tube ring, I just ordered a tri rail barrel mount that will cover them up. so I'll stick a tac light on it and out of sight out of mind. thanks again for the replies. like this site.

fyi. broke an extractor pin, called OFM to order one they told me 4 to 6 wks to ship. what a joke. Brownells shiped it right out

Good deal man!

We have a thread in the Photo and Video section that has ideas on how to upload and post pics.

OFM CS sux man, Brownells is def the better choice!

Back