• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mass legal shockwave

GT_80

.270 WIN
Just got an email from my favorite shop that the Shockwave 590 is now Mass complaint.

The kicker? its an 18.5" barrel 590.
So it's effectively a 590 cruiser with a birdshead grip - Not THAT exciting, but I think I can buy one for $299 which is super nice! I am not 100% I want to buy one except that its still a 590 for $300... Of course, I would have to put wood furniture on it eventually...

How are they to shoot? I am just not sure I want to spend the dough on such a novelty item, especially if it sucks to shoot.

shock.png

A lot of folks who say these are painful to shoot are basing their statements purely on ad-homenim supposition regarding their experience with ordinary pistol grip shotguns, which transfer a lot of the recoil force directly into the wrist, whereas the Raptor grip on the Shockwave does not.

There are enough videos on YouTube of old fellas like Hickok45, BigDaddyHoffman1911, and Clint from Thunder Ranch firing Shockwaves (sometimes even one-handed while loaded with slugs) to put your mind at ease on the subject.

So long as you don't do anything too crazy like load it up with Brenneke Black Magic Magnum slugs and stick with 2-¾" low recoil loads, sporting loads, or the increasingly popular Mini Shells offered by Aguila and Federal which supposedly recoil about as much as .410 Bore, then I doubt you'll experience any physical discomfort firing the Shockwave.

Thanks Meister - that is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I have seen a lot of videos on youtube, I am just trying to decide if I can justify buying one. Just the fact it's a 590 for $299 makes it worth buying, but in reality, in Mass I could put a raptor grip on a standard 18.5" barrel model 500 and still be legal, so I don't know what I am gaining over just getting a really good priced 590.

Back