• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mav. 88 Mossberg 500 barrel

Komodoj

.270 WIN
I have a maverick 88 with a 26” barrel. I also have a few Mossberg 500 barrels. Here is the question. I noticed on one of my 500 barrels the barrel lug might be a hair long and when I screw in the retaining screw it makes the barrel tilt up just a tiny, tiny bit more than the other barrels? It functions fine with dummy rounds. Should I be concerned. I really like this 500 barrel because it’s non vent rib and I own it. Not looking to buy another. Thank you in advance

I don't know specifically which setup you're using.

Can you put the barrels side by side and check them. If you have a countertop or something where you could place the rear of the barrels up against the wall and look at the barrel lugs, or measure with a measuring tape or something ???

It’s a 88 receiver and a 500 barrel. The barrel that came with the 88 is perfect. My older 500 barrel when retained by the screw, makes the barrel tip up just a tiny bit more. I put a caliper on the the two. The Mossberg 500 barrel extends down about .104 from top of lug where it meets barrel to the top of the hole where the screw goes threw?

I don't know why one barrel would cant ??

This is what I saw on OFM's website

"Maverick 88 pump-action models are fully-interchangeable with Mossberg 500 barrels (within gauge and capacity). The diverse selection of available accessory barrels allow shooters to adapt their Maverick 88 for multiple hunting or security purposes. "

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/maverick-88/

Guess the worst can happen is the bolts lug won’t lock into to barrels lug and it flies off???? Funny because when any barrel is put into a 500 or 88 it has up and down play until you screw in the retaining screw which then cants it up a little or down?

Got in contact with Joseph today at Mossberg. He said it’s normal for the barrel to can’t up a tiny bit before it’s locked down by the mag tube. I’m relieved. Thank you to all that replied.

Back