• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Forearms

Re: Maverick 88 Forearm Replacement

I have a Maverick 88 that I bought some years ago. Probably 10 years ago. I bought it at walmart so it was brand new. It definately has a 500 style foreend on it. I didnt realize there was a difference with other maverick models until I saw a maverick in a gun shop today with the pins in it. I looked at the 500 he had too and my foreend is made like that and not with the pins in it. So it definately can be done. You probably will have to have the whole foreend and slide bars from a 500 but it will work.

Does anyone know when they changed the foreend style for the mavericks and why? The evidence is there that they just done that so it would be different.

jfhtm350 said:
I have a Maverick 88 that I bought some years ago. Probably 10 years ago. I bought it at walmart so it was brand new. It definately has a 500 style foreend on it. I didnt realize there was a difference with other maverick models until I saw a maverick in a gun shop today with the pins in it. I looked at the 500 he had too and my foreend is made like that and not with the pins in it. So it definately can be done. You probably will have to have the whole foreend and slide bars from a 500 but it will work.

Does anyone know when they changed the foreend style for the mavericks and why? The evidence is there that they just done that so it would be different.
the field model of the 88 usually has the short tubed fore arm. the metal tube is only 6-1/2"
the tactical modle of the 88 usually has the pinned forearm.
why mossberg isn't consistent? Well, their mossberg. No one can explain it.
I have the field version from Academy, it has the short tube forearm.

Im guessing it is a field model because it came with a long vent rib barrel. As far as the length of the tube in the forearm, how do you measure it? It looks like it is longer than 6.5" but I really dont know where you are measuring it from. I may need that information if I order a replacement forearm.

beforeoldstyle.jpg

From the Mossberg 500 threads.

Ok Ill check it out, that is if I can figure out how. I have had the whole forearm with slide bars off the gun but I have never disassembled the forearm assembly to see a tube. Anything I should know about taking it apart?

Remove the big nut on the end and then push the forearm off

Oh ok. Simple enough. I have never really examined how it was on there when I had it off. I am wondering if there is enough clearance in there to take the forearm off and just drill and mount a weaver style base to the side of the forearm. The only problem that I could imagine would be a bolt head sticking in too far. Might be able to countersink the hole for the head but then that might lead to a cracked forearm.

I am all for taking something factory and making it fit my needs.
I do it ALL the time!
I think that it could be possible and may save you a few bucks.

Maverick 88/Mossberg 500 forearm conversion

Hi, I'm new to this forum, having just found it. I have a question, and hope someone here can help me out. A good friend of mine has a Maverick 88 (with the cheap pinned forearm). For the second time now, the corner where the pin is has broken, leaving the gun worthless. I read on the web where many have converted over to the Mossberg 500 forearm assembly, but my friend's Maverick only has a slot for one slide bar. What is the solution? Cutting one bar off the new slide tube? Drill/mill a slot in the front of his receiver?

This was also posted in the "Mossberg 500 Pump Action" forum as well...

Boy, was I smart!

I went to my local Academy Sports to purchase a dedicated "house gun". My mind was set on picking up a 6-shot 500 Persuader for $319 but noticed the 6-shot 88 Security for only $189. For $130 savings, I can get used to the location of the safety and I'm not planning on mounting optics.

But I did want a forend tube and swivel studs. So I got home with my new Maverick and immediately hit up the Brownells web site. Ordered the forend, tube, castle nut, and swivel stud kit and went to checkout. I had to laugh, because after adding shipping my total came to $129.32 cents. A total savings of 68 cents. Oh well, guess there's no worries about losing the screws in the top of the receiver :lol: !

All kidding aside, the order did include an $11 soft case and Brownells sent an e-mail within the hour saying everything had been shipped! Now that's service.

regards,
Jeff

Re: Boy, was I smart!

old mossy:

Oh yeah! I sure did'nt mean any disrespect. This guns fit and finish are at least the equal of any 500 I've ever unboxed. In fact, I'm now considering the 8-shot variant for my next project.

regards,
Jeff

i was just looking at their web site. they have some good prices. i wish i had one local to me.

old mossy:

Do any of the Wal-Marts in your area sell guns? I've seen 88's there for about the same price.

regards,
Jeff

jeffcneal said:
old mossy:

Do any of the Wal-Marts in your area sell guns? I've seen 88's there for about the same price.

regards,
Jeff

liberal's by me dont even sell ammo. lol

old mossy:

Those jerks do like to spoil all the fun. Sorry man, wish I could help.

regards,
Jeff

what forend is this??!?

Hello all! Brand new shotgun owner, here :)

Picked my security 6 shot up at a local auction. CRAZY here in TN. Walked up, didn't pull out an ID, didn't touch a pen, handed over a couple hundred and walked away with it. All in 2 mins flat.

ANYhow, I've got a dilemma and need someone's expertise! Help a fella? :)

All has been well and good with the purchase thus far, until I tried mounting a side saddle. As you can see from the pics attached, the forend seems too long and smacks the saddle when trying to rack. Digging further, I noticed this doesn't look like the stock forend, whatsoever.

I'd LOVE to swap it out with a shorter tactical pistol grip forend, but don't know where to start(even after reading a BUNCH of articles). It's my understanding I'm going to have to replace the molded plastic action slide tube(which is the actual forend on this one) with an actual action slide tube and nut from a mossberg 500, but not sure exactly WHICH slide tub and nut I need to purchase.

I guess my main question is, can someone help me get from this forend to a the tactical grip?

Appreciate everyone's input!

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 978
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 977
Re: what forend is this??!?

You have 3 options.

1. Find another complete assembly that has a tactical forend.

2. Cut away a portion of the existing forend to clear the side saddle. I know some who have done this.

3. Order a new action slide

beforeoldstyle.jpg

You can get these at Havlin Sales

The length you need will depend on the particular forend you want to use. The shorter one can be used with short and long (with an adaptor nut) forends.

The longer can only be used with the forents made for the longer tube.

Both should fit your gun regardless of which magazine tube you have.

You can find a many options by searching online. ATI, Hogue, Blackhawk, and many more all make parts to fit,

Back