• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Forearms

Wood Furniture Question

Hi All,

I very much like the look of wood furniture on pump-action shotguns and would like to so equip my M-88.

From time to time, eBay contains advertisements for wood furniture off other Mossbergs (i.e. 500, etc.) with the claim it fits the Maverick. I can see how the stock is interchangeable but I can't see how the forend of a 500 can be used on the M-88. I can not see how the pump-action slide rails from the 88 will attach to the wood forend of a 500. :roll:

Someone please enlighten me.

Many thanks!

Re: Wood Furniture Question

DrDyno said:
Hi All,

I very much like the look of wood furniture on pump-action shotguns and would like to so equip my M-88.

From time to time, eBay contains advertisements for wood furniture off other Mossbergs (i.e. 500, etc.) with the claim it fits the Maverick. I can see how the stock is interchangeable but I can't see how the forend of a 500 can be used on the M-88. I can not see how the pump-action slide rails from the 88 will attach to the wood forend of a 500. :roll:

Someone please enlighten me.

Many thanks!

welcome to the forum from NY.

your right the stock will fit with no problems. the forend you will more than likely need the 500 action tube as well because of the pinned forend.

Attachments

• 05001L_05[1].jpg
    05001L_05[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 276
Re: Wood Furniture Question

^^^^ THIS!!!

Welcome from MI!!!

Hi All,

Like most 88 owners, the low cost of entry was a key factor in my decision to purchase one. Mine cost me $235.00 through an LGS about a year ago. Also, like many of you I'm not crazy about the forend. However, I didn't want to lay out half-again as much as my initial purchase to upgrade it.

Here's my solution...

MaverickForen_zps655855f8.jpg

I paid $21.00, delivered, for the Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip) from eBay and another $10.00 or so for an old, aluminum, Weaver rail. I drilled four 3/32 holes through the forend to line up with the holes in the rail and cut down some 1" sheetrock screws to about 3/8"... which self-tapped through the rail and into the plastic forend. All told, it took me about twenty minutes (of which, about fifteen was devoted to making sure everything was lined up as I went along).

Hello,

I've just join this forum a while ago and I've been lurking reading post. I want to upgrade my forend and my mossberg maverick 88 but I just noticed my forend is different than stock, i think. Could someone confirm if this is a stock forend for a maverick 88 or has this been upgraded already?

Another question, how can i know if i have an older maverick 88 or the newer ones and would this one work for my noisy cricket? Sorry for the noob questions and thank you for your help

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arms-Gea ... ick+88+utg

Heres the pic:

MasterChief said:
Hello,

I've just join this forum a while ago and I've been lurking reading post. I want to upgrade my forend and my mossberg maverick 88 but I just noticed my forend is different than stock, i think. Could someone confirm if this is a stock forend for a maverick 88 or has this been upgraded already?

Another question, how can i know if i have an older maverick 88 or the newer ones and would this one work for my noisy cricket? Sorry for the noob questions and thank you for your help

Heres the pic:

hello. looking at the pic you do NOT have a pinned forend. either someone changed it and the action tube already, or you have an early mav88.
you need to remove your forend and measure the action tube so you order the correct forend.

you can email mossberg with the serial number for the born date.

Martinez, Norma
martinezn@mossberg.com
she helped me with this before.

Attachments

• 05001L_05[1].jpg
    05001L_05[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 629
old mossy said:
MasterChief said:
Hello,

Heres the pic:

hello. looking at the pic you do NOT have a pinned forend. either someone changed it and the action tube already, or you have an early mav88.
you need to remove your forend and measure the action tube so you order the correct forend.

you can email mossberg with the serial number for the born date.

Martinez, Norma
martinezn@mossberg.com
she helped me with this before.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply and useful information but I'm a bit confused. What does "pinned" mean. Once again, sorry for the noob question. I'm pretty sure this is an older mossberg because i bought this from a friend last year and he's had for at least 4-5 years.

I'm basically looking to upgrade my forend to something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y9 ... UTF8&psc=1

so i can add this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044J ... PDKIKX0DER

Do you think that forend would work with my mossberg?

Thanks for the help. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

if you look at the bottom forend in the pic you will see "pinned".
looking at your pic it looks like it is held on with a nut.
there are 2 different size action tubes and 2 different size forends.
you need to take yours off and measure it as shown in the pic.

don't worry about the noob questions,,,,,we all are here to help. :)

Attachments

• 05001L_05[1].jpg
    05001L_05[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 583
old mossy said:
if you look at the bottom forend in the pic you will see "pinned".
looking at your pic it looks like it is held on with a nut.
there are 2 different size action tubes and 2 different size forends.
you need to take yours off and measure it as shown in the pic.

don't worry about the noob questions,,,,,we all are here to help. :)

You're right, it is held by a nut. I see the where you put the tool to unscrew it. I have a mossberg maverick 88, is there a DIY around here that would help me remove the forend and not mess up my gun lol.

Thanks again for your help, i really appreciate it.

i'm on Long Island,ny. if you're close stop by i'll help ya.

JIC you aren't close, i'll post a video link and a pic. let us know if you have anymore questions.

here's the link showing how to break down you gun.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26

here's a pic of one idea how to take apart the forend nut.

Attachments

• p156-mossberg-forend-nut.jpg
    p156-mossberg-forend-nut.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 553
I sent an email to Joe Zaker last night and I got his reply today about pinned and regular forends.
Here it is,,,,
Good afternoon,

No problem, I thank you all for supporting the Mossberg products, and gun owners overall. Yes the 590’s do not go out with the pinned action. The mav88 and 500 sporting / field models are available with the pinned action slide assembly. we do offer certain 500 field /security models with this action assembly. but to make sure we advise the customer to call us to ensure that the firearm they are going to purchase shall have this or not.

Joseph Zakher

Product service leadman technical support.

Maverick Arms inc.

1001 industrial blvd

Eagle pass,TX 78852

1-800-363-3555

I am new to the site and need some help. :)
I bought a maverick 88, and then decided to change out the stock and fore end grip. Stock= no problem, the fore end is giving me some issues. I ordered a Promag PM194 which is the 7 3/4 action tube with bars so that I could put any fore end on the gun. I can get the action to work and it is installed correctly, but when I go go put the barrel back on it will not fit. It is almost like the barrel is too fat or the action tube adds more girth and it will not give me enough room to finish the install. I tried it with and without a fore end grip on the tube and still it will not work. Any ideas? I have a call into Promag to ask for some help but haven't received a call back yet.

CSpears said:
I bought a maverick 88, and then decided to change out the stock and fore end grip. Stock= no problem, the fore end is giving me some issues. I ordered a Promag PM194 which is the 7 3/4 action tube with bars so that I could put any fore end on the gun. I can get the action to work and it is installed correctly, but when I go go put the barrel back on it will not fit. It is almost like the barrel is too fat or the action tube adds more girth and it will not give me enough room to finish the install. I tried it with and without a fore end grip on the tube and still it will not work. Any ideas? I have a call into Promag to ask for some help but haven't received a call back yet.

Is your Maverick 88 a 12ga or 20ga ? Just to make sure.
As long as you have the correct part for the correct gauge it should work.
Make sure the slide is about 1/2 racked back,place barrel in receiver recess,turn slightly,screw into mag tube.
Keep us posted.

old mossy said:
CSpears said:

Is your Maverick 88 a 12ga or 20ga ? Just to make sure.
As long as you have the correct part for the correct gauge it should work.
Make sure the slide is about 1/2 racked back,place barrel in receiver recess,turn slightly,screw into mag tube.
Keep us posted.

It is a 12ga. I will try that again when I get home. The factory fore end goes on no problem and plenty of clearance for the barrel. I am worried that even if I do get the new action tube on then it will cause the slide to not be able to go back far enough to eject the round. I will try again and keep you posted. Thanks!

How hard is it to change out the forend on these 88s? I had a local gun shop owner tell me that it is not possible to change to a different forend.

Back