• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

maverick 88 wet conditions

sb1010

Copper BB
Do you have much problem with rust or corrosion?

What about the mag tube, if a shell got wet during loading.

Short answer: metal will oxidize if exposed to water (and air). Steel will rust, even through porous coatings such as blueing or nickle. Aluminum will oxidize and pit. Stainless is not entirely "stain" less.

Long answer: Cleaning and oiling should be done as soon as the gun is dry. Oil fills in the pores in blueing and other plating, keeping the oxygen in the atmosphere away. If you are in the field with a wet gun a field strip, clean and lube would be prudent. Others here may have more info. Welcome Aboard! :)

I dont worry about carrying any of my firearms in the field in wet conditions.
When i get back to the truck spray it out with WD-40 and clean it properly when I get home

Was pouring rain the last time I was out at the range.

Had the AR pistol and the Mav 88 out and they both got soaked. Cleaned 'em, dried 'em, and oiled 'em once I got home and everything's fine. Just make sure you don't store them wet and you won't have any problems...

Only time I have ever had a problem with any gun is when a pump gun got wet and then froze on me while hunting early in the year. The recoil of firing one cab beak a lot of the ice. LOL

One of the few times I will break down and clean my guns is after exposure to very wet conditions. At the very minimum leave them out and exposed to the air in a dry place so that any and all moisture can evaporate.

Back